Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

P&B Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: P&B Lenses Reply with quote

Where are the early Ponder & Best T-mount lenses listed? My Google skills don't pull up much.

1. The first ones that were engraved "P & B" without " Vivitar" ? Models & and years made info.

2. The second series that were engraved "P & B Vivitar" ? Models & years made info.

So far I have a 35mm f/2.8 "P & B" and a 135mm f/3.5 "P & B Vivitar"

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: P&B Lenses Reply with quote

aoresteen wrote:
Where are the early Ponder & Best T-mount lenses listed?

Thanks!

I think it's very cool that you like P & B lenses. The company was founded in 1938. They did not go over to the Vivitar name on lenses until the early 1960's. So there are lots of pure P & B lenses around. And the corporate name did not change to Vivitar until much later, in 1979. However:

At this time on eBay I'm finding only a single, lonely, P & B teleconverter. It is not expensive.

I have seen P & B lenses there in the past, but even in completed items nothing is showing up at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P&B 135/2.8 which is quite large, it looks like what they call the first version of the lens. It has an unusual M39 mount which isn't the correct register for Leica, Paxette, or Zenit, it's possibly an early type of T-type universal mounting system. It's not clear who has made the lens. A very rough guess might be Komura, just due to the large size of the lens, as they made a distinctive quite large 135mm lens early on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Vivitar P&B 400mm f/5.6 preset lens. 82mm filter size. It need some work on the preset mechanism. The price was right though, only $50.

Still trying to figure out how many different lenses were badged as "Vivitar P&B" & "P&B"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a P&B -mine is a Vivitar with a T2 mount, and it's remarkably good lens. I don't imagine they changed the lens a great deal?