Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar and Pentacon 50mm 1.8 MC, Test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that Pentacons tend to have aperture problems, but Pancolars are even harder to find a good one...often the blades are stuck AND the focussing is stiff Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According http://www.slrlensreview.com/web/ Pancolar is not sharper than Pentacon

first tabel is pentacon
second pancolar

regards semso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I know that test. I don't know the circumstances that envolved these tests. I don't know what that numbers mean. Why eg. 137 and not 135 or 138 ? Who determinated this? There aren't images to support the numbers. I prefer test with pics and text.

Anyway, I have both lenses and, beleave me, the pancolar is a better lens. The IQ of th CZJ is a different thing. The pentacon is a very good lens, of course with very good image at F/8-11, and the pancolar MC 1,8/50 is very good too from F/4 to 11, but the last produce an image at F/5,6-8 that doesn't the pentacon. And better build too.

In B&W film I like the coldest rendering of the pentacon.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a point of view - what to buy from Ebay the story is:

Though Pentacon is decribed as fully working in Ebay advert only 6 out of 10 will be optimally sharp due to different errors (not all production series were good).

9 out of 10 Pancolars will produce optimal sharpness (higher quality standards).

But then again, you will pay minimum 50 EUR for nice Panco, whereas you might get Pentacon for 15 EUR. There is a saying that could be applied here also: "If you buy cheap you buy twice."

Check my nick bytheway Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy Pentacon for next to nothing (I have a four of them).

Look at last buy (only 4 euros)

Last edited by semso on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you. Take them all if you can Smile. I guess the price will stop rising around 30-40 EUR for good looking Pentacon and 100 EUR for Pancolar. Don't forget about demand in Asia Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in Argentina, both are near u$s 50. Yes, pentacon isn't cheap at all.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or check prices reached from Greece sellers. It makes me wanna buy a lorry, pack my collection and rent a flat on Greek coast Smile.

Last edited by Pancolart on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever lens you pick you will have a very sharp optic at all apertures. They're both very and there isn't enough in it for me to pick the best. I have the Pentacon and love it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the millionth time we find that sharpness is only one factor among many that determine what an individual may like in a lens. Lively discourse as on this thread helps us all understand better what we are doing

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
For the millionth time we find that sharpness is only one factor among many that determine what an individual may like in a lens. Lively discourse as on this thread helps us all understand better what we are doing

patrickh

But it's the end result that counts from a lens on a print or whatever...and most people naturally prefer sharpness that's why we use spectacles, and would you want a tv or computer monitor fuzzy, and who wants to see blurred pictures at a cinema.....for me sharpness is all i.e. LPM, because I like the backup of being able to crop and can add contrast and exposure later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of the Pentacon and it's blueish tendencies, it is certainly a lot more common on UK ebay than the Pancolar and a third to half the price. It is a shame that the preset version is comparatively rare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this lens in my friends garage in a hard leather case

It says PENTACON Prakticar 1:1.8 f=50mm MC
made in german democratic republic

looks like new. Smile

my question is how can i use it on my canon 7d body i shoot video most of the time Smile

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison, and the slrreview site is a good one as well for a potential lens buy ... anyway .

I shot some b&w images with the Meyer Oreston, which is actually Pentacon, mostly wide open, f2.8 max. I was very happy with the results, contrast and blur. Now i have also the Pancolar ( from a member here ) Cool and i'm impatient to try them on DSLR. The older rendition of the Pentacon doesn't disturb me at all, this lens proved reliable. So i think was the Pancolar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keks wrote:

looks like new. Smile

my question is how can i use it on my canon 7d body i shoot video most of the time Smile

Thanks

Yes, but you will need a Praktica PB -> EOS adapter and it probably won't focus to infinity Sad But it will be great for portraits where it will act like an 80mm f1.8 lens Smile

And Hexi, where is that 5D?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:

Its being held captive by trifox !

Joking of course, i wanted him to fully try the camera before sending it to me, but the seller didn't provided a fully working battery which makes the tests very difficult. I'm confident though Very Happy Trifox proved fantastic commercial skills !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
keks wrote:

looks like new. Smile

Thanks

Yes, but you will need a Praktica PB -> EOS adapter and it probably won't focus to infinity Sad But it will be great for portraits where it will act like an 80mm f1.8 lens Smile

Is it Praktica PB -B ?

like this one
Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Prakticar-PB-B-Mount-Lens-to-Canon-EOS-EF-Mount-Adapter_W0QQitemZ360181074233QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091018?IMSfp=TL091018137004r5034

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comparison. The advantage if I can call it that of the Pancolar 50/1.8 as compared to Pentacon 50/1.8 is not big at all, at least not from my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: my pentacon with extension tube Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: my pentacon with extension tube Reply with quote

Kozmonauta wrote:

Welcome Kozmonauta! It might be late but I think it is worth to show your nice photos to the reader of this forum.