Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 80
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Pancolar 80 Reply with quote

I just made a trip to Ostrava tu buy the item personally from a local uni student. I gave him app. €235 for it Very Happy Not being silver from my favourite era, this lens was on my long-term wishlist anyway:

After some photographer or collector, looks almost untouched, barely having a scares!

Now I hope to see some light someday to test its FLARES!

Marek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! It seems you score a bargain. Look forward for your butterfly photos. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens and nice price Smile there was one here in my country for 230 euro but nobody bought it for 2 months. It is a nice price but samyang 85 1.4 ruined everything for those old 80 and 85mm lenses Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful looking lens. Good price too I suppose. Can't wait for spring and the butterflies to emerge. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I actually purchased it just to try a "butterflies inside Pancolar flares" series of artistic Question Very Happy photos

Besides, it's probably my best or second best portrait lens and also a good long-term investition Twisted Evil

So when I saw its condition and chance to meet owner/seller face to face, couldn't resist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simbon4o wrote:
Nice lens and nice price Smile there was one here in my country for 230 euro but nobody bought it for 2 months. It is a nice price but samyang 85 1.4 ruined everything for those old 80 and 85mm lenses Smile.

Interesting in Hungary Samyang did not change anything.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my dream lenses, still waiting for a bargain to get one...
Any samples yet?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar delivered expected image quality Very Happy

Most of the attributes good or great. Love this lens. Not. For. Sale.

A bit modern and normal for me though. And can't handle it well against the sun yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great lens, interesting bokeh... What f stop was used for these pictures?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice.... Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f was 2.0 by mistake Cool Hence no circles

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar possibly to be my no. 1 lens Cool

But I only like the first picture, not much the rest

Sometimes it's hard to tame the lens, just like the little horse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stunning lens, congrats!! Beautiful pictures as well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I was lurking around this offer like 14 days as it was app. on 2/3 of average Ebay market value (Czechs generally doesn't really want to pay much for old but high quality items, especially if there's no 'хелиос' written on it Laughing and doesn't make Meyer like circles)

So I tactically started to negotiate with a litle bit annyoning, yet not ridiculous offers and added something more in the end, so the final deal was CZK 6.500 that, as he admitteed, was far the best offer made so far Laughing In the meeting the guy claimed to be contacted by a certain lady that allegedly 'outbid' my offer but he did kept his word he gave to me in the meanwhile.

Apparently, this student had some caring photographer or collector relative that passed away, so the lens was not only (relatively) damn cheap but also in mint condition Shocked And it didn't let me down of course; as often happens, I'm very happy now about this transfer I delayed for a long time.

As I often buy oldsters, nonames or weirdos, I'm regularly disappointed with performance (excluding bokeh and so), especially in a bit boring March nature under a mild early Spring sun, but this is not the case. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today when shooting with I realized my aperture stopped working all of a sudden, being stuck wide open which is in fact not that problem but...

Does anyone please an experience with this?

I looked inside by removing the rear element but this lens is relatively modern and hence cramfull of small electronic and parts and I am realy not into messing with €500 lens...

(Everything looks fine inside, and no harm has been made... yet)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek, I've had a broken pancolar and use it to study it's insides... If you ok with having it wide open only, then better leave it alone. It has VERY complicated mechanics which is easily can be broken beyond repair... My advice - leave it as is if you do not absolutely need closing aperture.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I got mine with stuck aperture for 50 €
After some research I decided to get rid of the oil in the blades (common problem).

If yours has the same issue, following video helped me getting it disassembled / repaired in 2 evenings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36tHH8mWzY

After getting off both rear and front lens elements (easily done by unscrewing them. see video above)
this thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-80mm-f-1-8-pancolar-stupid-cleaning-idea-t29774.html
gave me some nice ideas.

In my case, I used bioethanol for bathing the body parts, to get rid of the old grease, and let it dry.

For relubing I used
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B215DF5968A78AE680257796002FEFA4/$File/LMX%20GREASE.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful lens, even closeup Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANKE !

Pancolar was my most MINT lens from those I consider TOP class, but after today, not any more Evil or Very Mad !

Fortunately I've never yet planned to monetize the thing, as it delivers fine photos and is damn sharp even wideopen Idea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was weird today but girls were at home, so I gave it a shot. This lens is a natural born killer!

Trioplan 50mm Altix mount on Canon to have some comparison

Marek