Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 50 f1.8 blades problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Pancolar 50 f1.8 blades problem Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought a Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50 f1.8 MC on eBay and when I have received it I noticed that the blades don't totally ”open” after they’ve been moved.
I need to unmount the lens to allow them to come back on the totally open position.
I’ve also noticed that if I put the switch on the lens on A the blames do the same.
Is there a way to fix it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't disassembled this particular lens, but this usually happens due to worn spring, or additional source of friction applied to aperture mech (oil on blades is the most common one), or some combination of both.
The good news are: I'm 99% sure this level of protrusion does not even begin cutting into the light path to the sensor.
While you can see the blades, the sensor is not yet affected.

You can raytrace this in the oldest way possible: by using Eyeball MkI and looking through the back, the same way you looked trough the front.
If the aperture does not cut into light before front or rear lens collar does, while you move your eyes in an area approximately covered by the sensor you intend to use it on, it simply can't have any influence.

In other words, this problem is not significant for adapted use on digital bodies at this time and does not require fixing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.
I tried to watch from the back of the lens but I'm not totally sure that the blades not cover the sensor. I have a Sony a7 III and I would like to use this lens with it.
I tried yesterday night to do some photos to see if I could see the blades in the bokeh (I don't know if this have sense).

In addition, I also notice that the blades don't make a perfect hexagon until F4
Can I be happy for a cool bokeh or is this a problem?
Would be hard to fix? I know a repairman, but he charges just to see if he can fix the lens and I don't know if he could.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alo91 wrote:
Thanks for your answer.
I tried to watch from the back of the lens but I'm not totally sure that the blades not cover the sensor. I have a Sony a7 III and I would like to use this lens with it.
I tried yesterday night to do some photos to see if I could see the blades in the bokeh (I don't know if this have sense).

It's a perfectly valid test.
I don't see any signs of lens blades in OOF highlights. So you're good.

alo91 wrote:

In addition, I also notice that the blades don't make a perfect hexagon until F4
Can I be happy for a cool bokeh or is this a problem?

This is completely normal for some aperture designs. For example, you will get similar opening shape with some Olympus OM lenses.
Apertures in different lenses can be much weirder than that:

alo91 wrote:

Would be hard to fix? I know a repairman, but he charges just to see if he can fix the lens and I don't know if he could.

So far from what you've shown and described, your lens is perfectly functional for adapted use.

Go shoot some pictures and have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with aidajo. It does not show on the bokeh circles, so not worth to do anything. I have the very same "problem" and mine does show very slightly. I have tried to fix it but couldn't without dismantling the whole lens, so I preferred to let it be.
As for the ninja star shape up to f4, that is how it is... if you do not like it there is no way to change that.
Enjoy the lens, one of my favorites... love the colors and the smoothness of th bokeh. Not the sharpest, but sharpness is overrated imho.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward for the end of this quarantine to go out and try this lens.
About the ninja star, I Love it, I just would to be sure that it wasn't a problem too. Happy it isn't.

Thank you for your answers.