Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 1.8/80 first shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
One rear coming up. Wink

Would you consider to swap the lenses? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing Laughing

Orio wrote:
F16SUNSHINE wrote:
One rear coming up. Wink

Would you consider to swap the lenses? Laughing

Orio, don't let Monica read that! Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks identical to mine
(I'm talking of this one, not the previous one! Twisted Evil )
In fact I just tried and yes at infinity the lens does not clear the mirror.
I did not notice because I only made one shot at infinity today and I used liveview to focus it.
But... it's not important - there is plenty of room for portraits (the cypress is about 7-8 mt away from my shooting point) - and for infinity shots, I can focus with liveview.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Orio, don't let Monica read that! Wink

she can not understand English Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Looks identical to mine
(I'm talking of this one, not the previous one! Twisted Evil )
In fact I just tried and yes at infinity the lens does not clear the mirror.
I did not notice because I only made one shot at infinity today and I used liveview to focus it.
But... it's not important - there is plenty of room for portraits (the cypress is about 7-8 mt away from my shooting point) - and for infinity shots, I can focus with liveview.

OK Smile
Well It's good to know for us and others as well.
The first time I tried him was on the 40D with no problems of course.
Then, I put it on the 5D to take the dogs for a hike to the cliff ( the place above the water in some of my dog photos).
I was surprised and disappointed as it was my only lens and a nice day for big landscapes. Sad

I think I should trade my new toy (not the rear the other expensive one) for a 5DII.
The detail and clarity is just too impressive. Plus I have to admit.......I miss the live view from the 40D Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just measured the range, on the 5D Mark II you can safely focus until half way between the 15 mt mark and the infinity mark.
This should mean at least up to 20 mt distance of "room" to photograph with viewfinder.
And the rest to be covered by liveview.

I guess this is another evidence that the 5D MkII mirror is indeed shorter than the 5D's.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you know why Biotar 75mm and Pancolar 80mm my top favourite lenses. What a combo 5DII + Pancolar 80mm congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is with m42 mount (thanks to No-X!) and I remember it could focus at infinity without mirror problems on the 5dmkII...

Anyway this is a shot made with it on the 5DmkII (at 3200 ISO I guess):

And for your fooding pleasure... Pancolar Stock...

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice male portrait Alessandro, the lightened part really looks like film, unfortunately in the shadow part the infamous 5DMkII high iso banding becomes visible. Sad

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very nice male portrait Alessandro, the lightened part really looks like film, unfortunately in the shadow part the infamous 5DMkII high iso banding becomes visible. Sad

Yep, but printed they were totally invisible. I also have some difficulty to find them on my calibrated screen while they're much evident on the one at work which has a higher gamma (alas it's luminous as hell!).

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent portrait, Alessandro! Smile

Andy, that is lovely portrait, too, thank you very much! Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are lenses to drool over

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some full sunlight test shots, as promised.
I think I would call the test passed... well, it's surely less sharp for this type of application (landscape) than other better lenses of it's focal range such as the Voigtlaender 90/3.5...
still I'd say it's sharp enough, although these tests confirm my initial impression that the lens does best in the close range, the portrait range, for which it has obviously been optimized
- while, shooting at far objects, it seems to lose a bit definition as you approach the infinity mark.
My conclusion: terrific lens for portraits, for still life, and for generic photography in the close and mid range (ideal is, I think, within the 15 meters range).

P.S. bokeh looks superlative to me...

5 photos, first whole, then 100% crop for each:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! The 100% crops are unbelievable!!! Fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
... disappointed as it was my only lens and a nice day for big landscapes. Sad

See? Never ever only take one lens! Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
WOW! The 100% crops are unbelievable!!! Fantastic!

Definitely!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that the Pancolar works quite well on the 5DII. Unfortunately I cannot even remember if my M42 Electric version has a problem at infinity. That's because I never shoot at or near infinity Very Happy

I think I should try it out tonight.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow -- superb exmaples! The Pancolar is a perfect lens

Great pictures Orio -- my favs -- artistic ones Smile (where the statuette is ..)

tf