Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Who ever said that the Pancolar 1.8/50 is a mediocre lens?

It arrived this morning (zebra version) and I took some test shots - it is every bit as sharp as my 50mm Planars - but it costs 30 Euros!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a champion sharp 50mm lens, buy this one. Some of the best 30 Euros that I ever spent.

Want to talk about colour rendition?
Look at the Geranium behind the cat: I have not touched the Saturation slider.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty sharp Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the eyes ! Beautiful!

I know well from long time ago all version from this lens EXCELLENT! Sharp even at wide open with one of the best bokeh. Pancolar was premium lens in Carl Zeiss Jena product line. I compared Carl Zeiss Tessar 135mm f4 and Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135mm f3.5 I also didn't see any difference.

Last edited by Attila on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% crop of non sharpened, repeat NON sharpened image:

And I also badly missed the focus!

_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

It arrived this morning (zebra version) and I took some test shots - it is every bit as sharp as my 50mm Planars - but it costs 30 Euros!!!

I bought it in 8 Euros in local shop. Everything (optical, building) is OK but my sample does not do sharpness like your one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

iha wrote:

I bought it in 8 Euros in local shop. Everything (optical, building) is OK but my sample does not do sharpness like your one.

maybe you have a bad copy and this is why they sold it for 8 Euros.
Unfortunately Zeiss Jena lenses are not famous for quality consistency in their DDR period.

Last edited by Orio on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

iha wrote:

Sharpness on DSLR highly depend from camera settings on NIKON D50 default settings was perfect to me. After I got my Olympus E-1, default sharpness was too soft I had to increase the sharpness in camera. I suppose difference between your lenses came from this fact you use different cameras or/and different settings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
iha wrote:

maybe you have a bad copy and this is why they sold it for 8 Euros.
Unfortunately Zeiss Jena lenses are not famous for quality consistency in their DDR period.

It sounds sadly Smile Can you do some shot with buildings or landscape?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
iha wrote:

Sharpness on DSLR highly depend from camera settings on NIKON D50 default settings was perfect to me. After I got my Olympus E-1, default sharpness was too soft I had to increase the sharpness in camera. I suppose difference between your lenses came from this fact you use different cameras or/and different settings.

The sharpness setup in camery do same impression as your modifying with Photoshop - UnSM?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if I set to maximum I able to make sharp images virtually any kind of crappy lens , price is the noise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, "Pancolar" obviously is a name we should keep in mind...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Not me - I'm pleased you've finally discovered it!

25 May:
peterqd wrote:
Orio wrote:
I'm very curious about a comparison of Pancolar 1.8 and Planar 1.7

Me too. I've never tried the Planar, but the Pancolar is my fave 50mm by far. In the 60s Praktica cameras came with a choice of 3 standard lenses, cheapest was the Meyer Domiplan, then the Tessar and most expensive was the Pancolar. I could never afford one then, so it was the first lens on my list when I got hooked on this crazy habit. I'm really pleased I bought it.

March calendar entry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found out that infinity focus with this lens on the 5D does not clear the mirror Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Today I found out that infinity focus with this lens on the 5D does not clear the mirror Sad

Ooops! I hope you find out without breaking anything! Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Ooops! I hope you find out without breaking anything! Sad

No problem, it's never the back glass to get hurt, it is always a matter of some lever or some metal protection.
Well, another half year or so, and after the guarantee will expire, first thing I will do is to shave the mirror.