Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic to announce 2 new Micro 4/3 cameras in March
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Panasonic to announce 2 new Micro 4/3 cameras in March Reply with quote

Panasonic will announce two new Micro 4/3 cameras during March, the 4th and 5th in their range of Micro 4/3 cameras.

No clear details at this stage but they will be the Panasonic G2 (replacement for the G1), while the Panasonic G10 looks like being a "light" model with a similar target market to the Olympus E-PL1.

It looks like one of the cameras will have a touch screen.

Panasonic confirmed that the two new cameras will be displayed at the “CP+” show in Yokohama, Japan, March 11th to March 14th. I will see if I can get to that show!! The unveiling of the two cameras may happen just before the show, however.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully with video capture as good as canons latest DSLR's.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on the G2 and G10.

http://43rumors.com/category/rumor/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that they will have a new sensor, not that I will buy one anyway...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the old sensor. But I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News keeps on moving on the new line of Panasonic m4/3 cameras.

hardwarezone “Panasonic explained to us that the G and GH product lines are going to be developed separately. The GH series will be the premium, Full HD capable line, while the G series will be more photo than video-centric, explaining the 720p video recording limit on the G2 and G10.”

Still no confirmation if they will use a new sensor or not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a new sensor will be great, I am personally more looking forward to a different sensor size ILC offering from sony (can't believe I say I want a sony), so the lens I have can have a different effective focal length. Looks like Panny is focusing more on the DSLR style with their four bodies, while Olympus focus more on the RF style with their three bodies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Looks like Panny is focusing more on the DSLR style with their four bodies, while Olympus focus more on the RF style with their three bodies.

Except that Panasonic now has FIVE bodies!!!!

Olympus is concentrating ONLY on the compact Micro 4/3.

However, Panasonic actually has a better balance of cameras.
e.g.
Panasonic micro 4/3 previous releases:

G1 (small DSLR styled body) Sept 2008
GH1 (small DSLR styled body, full HD video) March 2009
GF1 (Compact body) Sept 2009

This week:
G2 (small DSLR styled body) March 2010 (Replacing G1)
G10 (small DSLR styled body) March 2010 (budget model)

In keeping with their release of new models every 6 months, I suspect there's might be more just around the corner.

e.g.
Maybe:
GH2 ?? (small DSLR styled body, full HD video) June 2010 ?? (Replacing GH1)
GF2 ?? (Compact body) Sept 2010 ?? (Replacing GF1)
GF20 ?? (Ultra Compact body or budget compact) Sept 2010 ??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
While a new sensor will be great, I am personally more looking forward to a different sensor size ILC offering from sony (can't believe I say I want a sony), so the lens I have can have a different effective focal length.

There's the Samsung NX as well, which AFAICT is the same sensor as the current Pentax offerings. And there's nothing wrong with the IQ of my K10D.

I have this 25/0.78 (Curse you f16sunshine!) that needs a home. I knew as soon as I picked that thing up that I'd end up buying a body for it. Smile

That lens extends pretty deeply behind the C-mount, and the barrel on that part is too big to fit in the 'mirror box' of the E-P2. But an APS-C sensor *should* be big enough to let the lens fit. Hope springs eternal. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NX10 seem to have a longer flange distance but a smaller mount? Hope that you can find your lens a new body.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
The NX10 seem to have a longer flange distance but a smaller mount? Hope that you can find your lens a new body.

Yeah, the flange is a bit long on the the NX10. The mount diameter isn't going to be an issue (it's a C-mount lens, after all) as long as there's room for the rear barrel inside the body. I expect this may be a rather custom mount. Wink

I keep thinking about some other camera I could hack up, but I really need a focal plane (or all electronic) shutter to make this work.