Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G5 with new sensor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Panasonic G5 with new sensor Reply with quote

The G3 is discontinued, and here is the replacement.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-g5-1089292/review

And...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g5

I'm hoping this has the same super fast AF speeds as the GF5.
I wonder if this has the ability to take a picture from the touch screen as the GF5 does?
I'm looking foward to see how this cam tests out.
I'm still deciding on my next upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they just need to release these concept lenses into production.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/11/PanasonicConceptLenses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, 16mp on a M4/3 sensor, looks from those charts like the NEX-5N kills it on dynamic range and higher ISO noise. 16mp might be a bit much for the M4/3 sensor judging from the graphs. Of course, we'll have to see the real results when people get to use this thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm looking foward too, some real results. Smile
I was hoping performance wise it would be better then the G3, but I don't see it here. Sad
If I understand what I'm reading corectly, using AF, by the time you get the camera to your eye, the lens is in focus.
I would of preffered less gimicks, and more performance. I didn't expect it to beat the Nex 5n, but I expected it to be alot closer then it was.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's my take on it too, they've updated the features but the performance hasn't been similarly beefed up. Of course, it has an EVF which gives it an advantage over the NEX, but there's the new Samsung NX20 which packs the 20mp sensor of the NX200 into the NX5/10/11 body with EVF, be interesting to see how the NX20 compares to this G5.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yeah, that's my take on it too, they've updated the features but the performance hasn't been similarly beefed up. Of course, it has an EVF which gives it an advantage over the NEX, but there's the new Samsung NX20 which packs the 20mp sensor of the NX200 into the NX5/10/11 body with EVF, be interesting to see how the NX20 compares to this G5.

I'd be curious also to see in real life how the NX20 , and G5 compare , and the OMD M5 also.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic G5 with new sensor Reply with quote

Just to clear a few things up ...

walter g wrote:
The G3 is discontinued

I haven't read anything official about it being discontinued, but anyway I think you should be able to buy the G3 (much cheaper than the G5) for a while yet.

walter g wrote:
Now they just need to release these concept lenses into production.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/11/PanasonicConceptLenses

The 12-35mm f2.8 is available to buy now, the 35-100mm f2.8 is not in production yet.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Hmm, 16mp on a M4/3 sensor, looks from those charts like the NEX-5N kills it on dynamic range and higher ISO noise. 16mp might be a bit much for the M4/3 sensor judging from the graphs. Of course, we'll have to see the real results when people get to use this thing.

Techradar's results are rather controversial. According to their results the 16mp EM-5 equals / beats the NEX-5N.

It's nice to see that the G5 is correcting some of the mistakes of the G3 - it has a decent-looking grip and the eye-sensor has been reintroduced.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except what was mentioned in the link, I can't find any official anoucement that the G3 is discontinued either. After you posted I searched the net, and found nothing conclusive.

I'm hoping this cam drives the prices of used G3s lower, but the way things are working out, I think my G1 probably will be my main camera for the next year or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter, keep an eye on the prices of used Samsung NX series, the NX5, NX10, NX11 are lovely, has a good EVF and is 14mp APS-C, IQ easily equal to a NEX-3 or 5, here on ebay UK they are only 100-130ukp, a real steal for that price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The Olympus E-M5 has a 16mp sensor as well, made by Sony. That one comes close to the Nex-5N so it's more on this specific Panasonic sensor than on MFT sensor size.

This is just a test done somewhere, no official statistics, but gives some idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I'm yet to be convinced about some of these new models, until I see something impressive, some people keep banging on about the Fuji but a lot of the results I've seen have been akin to the output from a decent compact, maybe it's just the photographer. Same with the M5, I'm sure it's a good camera but I've seen some poor samples, again maybe the photographer more than the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Walter, keep an eye on the prices of used Samsung NX series, the NX5, NX10, NX11 are lovely, has a good EVF and is 14mp APS-C, IQ easily equal to a NEX-3 or 5, here on ebay UK they are only 100-130ukp, a real steal for that price.

Thanks. Very Happy
I will keep an eye on US prices. I really wouldn't mind trying one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on mobile so I can't start a new thread, so I thought I'd use my old thread.
I still have my G1, but planned an upgrade that never happened.
Until now.

My health insurance provider didn't meet the new guidlines, so I got a refund check.
It wasn't much but with that and $15 out of my pocket bought a nice used G5 body
Should have it in a few days.

So I plan to retest all my Minolta lenses with the G5.
So I will be updating alot of my old threads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats,I would like to know what you think of it compared to the G1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - me too! Especially - Is the EVF improved?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Congrats,I would like to know what you think of it compared to the G1.

Thanks, mo.
I'm waiting impatiently for it, so I can give it a try.
I will let you know how great it is.
Im being optimistic, but it really should be alot better then the G1.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Yes - me too! Especially - Is the EVF improved?

Took a little research, but as far as I can tell the EVF was updated with the G3.
The refresh is suppose to be better.
G5 appears to be the same spec EVF as the G3.

It was upgraded again with the G6 to OLED.
It's suppose to have better color and contrast.
G6 also added new features to the camera, NFC, Wifi, and focus peaking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently bought a second hand G5 and want to see what you think.I do like the EVF in the G5, and I believe the refresh rate makes a huge difference. The moving of the wheel from the front to the back, takes you a little while to adjust your thumb to the new postion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I have recently bought a second hand G5 and want to see what you think.I do like the EVF in the G5, and I believe the refresh rate makes a huge difference. The moving of the wheel from the front to the back, takes you a little while to adjust your thumb to the new postion.

Congrats on your G5.
I just checked USPS tracking. Looks like I wont get my G5 till monday.😢

Im not to happy about them moving the wheel, but we shall see.
Good to know the EVF is good. I expected it to be, but it's nice having conformation.
Thank you.

Mo have you tried shooting with the electronic shutter.?
That's one of the features I'm looking foward to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so,I actually had not heard of it until now Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo if you shoot longer focal length lenses or mirror lenses on a tripod, the electronic shutter is usefull. No shutter shock.
I have an electronic shutter on my Nikon J1, so I can't wait to test the one on the Panny G5.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to check the settings as there is a full moon tonight and if the skies stay cloudless,I could use that setting. Just out of curiousity,the Nikon J1 is dropping in price,what is your opinion of it? I don't need another camera but I was wondering Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a G5 for video. I like the EVF too, although still prefer an OVF really. Not taken many pictures with it but am pleased enough with the IQ of those I have taken. The video quality is what I bought it for, it excels in that regard.

Fujinon-TV 1.4/50 wide open, this is the lens I recommended to Mo a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I will have to check the settings as there is a full moon tonight and if the skies stay cloudless,I could use that setting. Just out of curiousity,the Nikon J1 is dropping in price,what is your opinion of it? I don't need another camera but I was wondering Very Happy

I have a couple lenses for my J1, 10-30, and 30-110. So its my main AF camera. Very fast AF.
Its a neat little cam, but not very pratical for using Legacy glass on it.
There is no shoot without lens mode.
If your using Legacy glass you can only use M mode, and you can't magnify the image.
If you put the cam on A or S mode it will say no lens attached, but if you look at the screen you can see its metering the lens.
So you can put the cam in A mode let it meter
Then switch to M mode and use those settings and they are accurate.

I'm using one of the chipped adapters and they work great, but the adapters are $50 + each.
I mostly shoot with Minolta lenses, so I only needed one chipped adapter. So it worked out well for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I just bought a G5 for video. I like the EVF too, although still prefer an OVF really. Not taken many pictures with it but am pleased enough with the IQ of those I have taken. The video quality is what I bought it for, it excels in that regard.

Fujinon-TV 1.4/50 wide open, this is the lens I recommended to Mo a few weeks back.

Ian, have you tried the teleconverter mode? I'm wondering how wide a cctv or Cine lens you can use in this mode and have full coverage.