Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G1 instead of Olympus E-P1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Panasonic G1 instead of Olympus E-P1 Reply with quote

...at least for me.

(And I hope this is the right forum for my post.)

I'm definitely getting a µ4/3 camera body for old lenses, and it will be the G1. I'd love the in-body stabilization of the E-P1, but the lack of viewfinder was the dealbreaker for me.

Moreover, the "articulated" LCD on the G1 is a big plus. I used to have a Sony A350 with a tilting LCD and liked that feature very much.

This new camera will be a complement to my 5D. It remains to be seen which camera I use most.

Has anyone else here faced the same choice?

Also, has anyone here experienced "smearing of the corners" with a G1? It was mentioned at manualfocus.org.

I've already started buying Konica and Canon FD lenses, plus adapters.

/Erik

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real advantage of this type of cameras, is to be able to mount rangefinder lenses.
Rangefinder lenses are usually better than reflex lenses of corresponding focal lenght.
Therefore my advice is, if you have money to spend in lenses for this type of camera, invest in rangefinder lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will follow you Erik Wink Konica and Canon FD are cheap lenses these days due a few people able to use them on DSLR body you made a right decision.
I know Konica lenses pretty well they are highest level lenses from Japan at least I love more better than any other Japanese maker. I am not sure about RF lenses good ones are expensive really except Russians . Perhaps good idea to start with some cheap Russian RF lenses before start to buy others. In fact with 2x crop factor not so much benefits from RF lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rangefinder lenses sound very interesting. However, this is unknown territory for me, since I've never used a rangefinder with interchangeable lenses.

Could you please suggest some Russian lenses to look for? That would be fun, especially since I've started dabbling with the Russian language and progressed to the point where I can read "Industar" in cyrillic writing Wink

When it comes to lenses, colour rendition is the thing which attracts me most. Many lenses are sharp, but the colours from a Leica R lens or one of the better Minolta lenses is something special.

/Erik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-9 85mm f2 RF lens longer and slimmer than SLR version.
JUpiter-3 50mm f1.5
Jupiter-12 35mm it goes deep into body I am not quiet sure you will able to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do use the G1, and mostly with manual focus lenses...

The smearing problems seem to be mostly associated with wide-angle rangefinder lenses, and it seems also there is a lot of variation, having to do with the telecentricity of the lenses. My rangefinder lenses are all either normal or tele, so no problems there. My manual SLR wide-angles seem to be ok also.

There's a some good discussion about the smearing problems :
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5566

(hopefully the link will show)

To be honest, I'm very happily snapping away with all kinds of lenses, not just rangefinder. Smile And I've not found that the SLR lenses, although bigger, would be too big or clumsy for the camera. So, I'm happily using my CZJ, Meyer, Topcor, Russians, etc. along with the Voigtländer and Leica rangefinder lenses.

However, if you do want to get the lenses you can't use with the other cameras, look them for the Konica Hexanon, Canon FD, Leica M and LTM lenses, as well as the C-mount cine lenses (which is a completely new world in itself)! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-8 is an EXCELLENT 50mm f/2 rangefinder lens that comes almost for free.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

3 weeks ago I had to do also such a decision. But I decided for a Pentax 200D.

Here are the reasons (for me)

Panasonic
- case to small for my hands (I have also a Canon G10 as P&S) and for some lenses (for example 300mm and above)
- crop factor 2 - you will lose the characteristic of your lenses
- price

Pentax
- larger chassis plus add. battery grip for better balance
- I got a new one for less than 300 € and a new and unused kit lens at ebay for 35 €
- crop factor

Anyway, perhaps I will buy in the future also a G1 due to the significant better availability of different adapters.

Rolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, lots of good advice here. Thank you all!

Attila wrote:
JUpiter-3 50mm f1.5
Jupiter-12 35mm it goes deep into body I am not quiet sure you will able to use it.

I've often heard of Jupiter lenses but never used one. What is their main strength?

blaahhi wrote:
The smearing problems seem to be mostly associated with wide-angle rangefinder lenses, and it seems also there is a lot of variation, having to do with the telecentricity of the lenses. My rangefinder lenses are all either normal or tele, so no problems there. My manual SLR wide-angles seem to be ok also.

Great information! Now I can stop worrying about smearing. If it only concerns certain wide-angle lenses, it's not a deal-breaker.

blaahhi wrote:
However, if you do want to get the lenses you can't use with the other cameras, look them for the Konica Hexanon, Canon FD, Leica M and LTM lenses, as well as the C-mount cine lenses (which is a completely new world in itself)! Smile

I've started bidding on Konica and FD lenses. Over time, I suppose that I'll look into each of these "families".

Orio wrote:

I'll keep a look-out for that one.

/Erik

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is better to wait for the new Samsung NX.
This camera probably will have in-body SR, a big plus for old lenses users.

Gaetano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaman wrote:
Maybe it is better to wait for the new Samsung NX.
This camera probably will have in-body SR, a big plus for old lenses users.

I thought about that, but it might well take a while before it arrives (haven't seen any credible date yet). Moreover, I don't know which lenses it will be possible to mount on the NX. Perhaps you know?

/Erik

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the option of waiting for the Samsung proposal:

- As a mirrorless body, flange-to-sensor distance will be short enough to support all kind of dslr lenses with the corresponding adapter.

- An APS-C sensor with a crop of 1.5 will be less sacrificing for wide angle lenses (the main disadvantage I see in the m43 system with its x2 crop).

- Hopefully, in-body stabilization.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The arrival of the Samsung NX cameras will also lead to more competition and lower prices for the micro4/3 bodies ... that is what i think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunderstein wrote:
Wow, lots of good advice here. Thank you all!

Attila wrote:
JUpiter-3 50mm f1.5

I've often heard of Jupiter lenses but never used one. What is their main strength?

blaahhi wrote:

Great information! Now I can stop worrying about smearing. If it only concerns certain wide-angle lenses, it's not a deal-breaker.

blaahhi wrote:

I've started bidding on Konica and FD lenses. Over time, I suppose that I'll look into each of these "families".

Orio wrote:

I'll keep a look-out for that one.

/Erik

They are exact Zeiss copies.. Jupiter-9 Sonnar copy, Jupiter-12 Biogon copy, Jupiter-3 also Sonnar copy this is means a lot for me.
Great lenses all around.