Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panagor 135mm f/3.5 rebuild - Solved
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Panagor 135mm f/3.5 rebuild - Solved Reply with quote

Hi
I recently bought this MF Panagor lens, which was in a very bad condition, even diaphragm blades was off plased so it needed some restoration. I was able to disasemble allmost all of its parts except one.
After removing all lenses and blades, the tube was finally released and then another thing came out - focus ring was quite tight - and needs re-lube.
Since I'm new to this I would like to ask for help about the direction of this ring (see photo) to be unscrewed so focus ring to be released. Obiously it is quite tight screwed and doesn't move to any directions. Further more I dont think there will be need to keep disassembling and remove the inner tube with blade-base holes.
Let me clear that all parts has scraches on it form previous disassembly-assembly work, most likelly using a hummer Shocked but seams to be still in order.

or here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nPrzQmjUWjbj7j7TkJy8FMZQKJ2JHDqzSMXR7yL2YA0?feat=directlink

Last edited by joshua on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Panagor 135mm f/3.5 rebuild - need help pls Reply with quote

joshua wrote:
Hi
I recently bought this MF Panagor lens, which was in a very bad condition, even diaphragm blades was off plased so it needed some restoration. I was able to disasemble allmost all of its parts except one.
After removing all lenses and blades, the tube was finally released and then another thing came out - focus ring was quite tight - and needs re-lube.
Since I'm new to this I would like to ask for help about the direction of this ring (see photo) to be unscrewed so focus ring to be released. Obiously it is quite tight screwed and doesn't move to any directions. Further more I dont think there will be need to keep disassembling and remove the inner tube with blade-base holes.
Let me clear that all parts has scraches on it form previous disassembly-assembly work, most likelly using a hummer Shocked but seams to be still in order.

or here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nPrzQmjUWjbj7j7TkJy8FMZQKJ2JHDqzSMXR7yL2YA0?feat=directlink

Welcome!

I don't have any specific advice for you I'm afraid, but I'll quote your post so everyone can see your picture.

(First time posters can't post images, it's a spam prevention measure.)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you fuzzywuzzy for your help!
Any idea and advice are welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upload some more pictures better lit.
I can`t see anything on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right away!

with Focus at below 1.7m (closest possible):

on next one focus is at Infinity:

again with Focus at below 1.7m.
With magnifying mirror it is well observed that top of the ring is a separate detail:

As it looks the diaphragm base is held by 3 bolts, but even if I need to access them, have to remove the focus ring first:

Tell me if you need some more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove those 3 screws from the last picture.
It would be much easier to assembly the diaphragm blades while you have the diaphragm base outside of that narrow inner barrel.
Put on some surgical gloves and try to unscrew the helicoid.
Put some force on it but not to much.
If it doesn`t work then I`m afraid you have to remove the rubber to look for some more screws.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing so far.

Tried with bigger spanner, but still that top "ring" does not move at all. At such force I'm afraid that i'll brake something.

About those screws, their heads are half-hidden, I tried with smaller screw driver, but then I have not enough surface to unscrew them. Obviously at first place the helicoid must be detached.

from stright angle:

So, I have to remove the rubber ring to look for some technical holes below it?

I was thinking what if I try to "wash" the old grease from the helicoid on this stage?
But I'm not sure when I put the new grease will it go deep enough on the helical surface just by rotation by the ring? Not sure how will react the paint with the degreaser chemicaly also. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A water based degreaser shouldn't affect the paint, something like Jizer maybe ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Lloydy, the water based degreaser done great job!

So here it is disassambled (almost). Next I'll release the diaphragm base in order to asembly the diaphragm blades as Himself adviced me.
But before that I have to solv another problem.

This is how body looks like in parts:

As you can see - on the focus ring at left of the stoper pin there is a tiny screw (with yellow circle), actually there are 3 of them at 120 degrece. They fix the second part (from left to right). Strange thing was that while I was cleaning the body that ring start rotating by itself (without any forse from me), probably it has to be untighten during the years and only that old almost glued grease was keeping it on place.
To be asembled it must be done like this:
1) The first, second and the fourth element must be put together.
2) With unscrewed 3 tiny screw plus the stop pin, the focus ring will be setted on place over the body and tighten to the second element.
And here comes the trouble. In order all that to be done - Rubber ring must be taken off. Rolling Eyes
How that could be done? Seams that it is glued to the focus ring....
Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t understand why you have to remove the rubber to put the lens back toghether while you didn`t need that for disassembling?
For the blades, clean and dry them, wear some rubber gloves when you put them back on the base.
I hope you marked the exit point when you separated the helicoid because there is more than 1 entry point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason to remove the trap rubber from the focus ring is that while I was cleaning the thick old grease the focus ring turns over the outer celicoid. Actualy because of that I was able to disassemble the body.
Now, onto focus ring there are 3 screws, that fix the outer helicoid (please correct me if the term is not right), so in order to assemble the body back I'll have to re-tighten them.

As to the entry point of the helicoid - unfortunately i didn't. Seams I'll have to do some extra work. Will need some advice at that stage too. I was thinking of the method with the glas at the film plain.

Will continue tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no advice for the entry point.
Trial and error is the name of the game.
Assembly everything, see if it reaches infinity, if it doesn't, mark that point, disassembly and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally it is assembled and works perfect! It took me some time to set the helicoid at right entry point, and needed spare time, but now it is OK.
With new lithium grease, it works like new!

Thanks to all for the effort.

When the film is ready and scanned I will post some pictures taken with this nice lens.

Regards!