Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panacolor 80 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Panacolor 80 1.8 Reply with quote

Hello all. I have found a panacolor 80 1.8 . My experience with this lens is limited to not having any. Laughing For some reason I want to add another portrait lens to my collection. Currently in this focal length I have the Contax CZ 85 1.4 and Super Tak. 85 1.9. Maybe someone can tell me. Is the personality of the Panacolor unique enough from the Contax to justify it's price? For me being in the states it is hard to find this lens however, I don't want to buy it just for that reason. Thanks for any input and other suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find all over the world not just in USA, in my opinion one of the best portrait lens I like better than my SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/czj_pancolar_80mm_f1_8/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/zeiss/pancolar_001/pancolar_80mm_f1_8/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/takumar/smc_takumar_85mm_f1_8_m42/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/portrait/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Panacolor 80 1.8 Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Is the personality of the Panacolor unique enough from the Contax to justify it's price? For me being in the states it is hard to find this lens however, I don't want to buy it just for that reason. Thanks for any input and other suggestions.

I think it's very hard to reply because the Pancolar 80mm is a very rare lens to find and the chances that those who have it also have the Contax 85mm are really scarce.
In any case I would buy because if you don't like it, you will not have any problem in selling that lens, you will have full of people knocking at your door for it.

-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a good point Orio. I don't think that I will be able to take it for a low price. The shop who is selling knows what they have in their hands. For me I have a strong feeling to add lenses that can give me a different look. Now I am shooting color for the first time in many years. I also am interested in finding a meyer trioplan (thanks Maxim's photos), Jupiter 9, and others and my budget is not too big. What do you think is a reasonable price for a near mint copy of the panacolor? The shop asks for $475, more than my Contax 85 cost me. I can probably negotiate, but have no frame of reference. I don't want this thread to be more about marketplace issues. But maybe your right my original question is difficult to answer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/priceguide/

On any price good one if you really want another doesn't come soon. On above link you can find how many sold on Ebay not much! I wait for my first copy almost two years because always went above 300 EUR and ... now I have three copy of them. I bought any copy what I found locally this is an investment from me I thought first, but now I know I would keep this lenses to my daughters. Very, very good ones.

If you don't have much money try other lenses like Jupiter-9,Kaleinar-100, Pentacon 100, Meyer-Orestegor 100 etc. Trioplan is very special old lenses maximum showed the maximum of that lens. I have one , but I don't think so I will use anytime for portraits. If you have a bit more money , try Helios-40 85mm f1.5 etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got a Contax CZ 85 1.4 and a Super Tak. 85 1.9, and now you want to buy a Panacolor 80 1.8?
Now, that is what I would call " building a portrait lens collection"! Shocked
You just need a Leica Summicron 90 2.0 and a Nikkor 85 1.4 and your collection is perfect. Wink
(And for the sake of it add a J9...just for fun.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been perfect without Helios-40 85mm f1.5 and CZJ Biotar 75mm f1.5 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Never been perfect without Helios-40 85mm f1.5 and CZJ Biotar 75mm f1.5 Smile

OK, then. Add them to the list. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are joking Carsten but your right it is greedy. Mostly I would like to have a different personality in a similar FL to what I have . It is true that I have a "thing" for portrait lenses (fast short teles). Whenever I hear a discusion of great portrait lenses, the panacolor comes up. So after seeing one with my own eyes I thought I should get some feedback. BTW sure I would take a the summicron and nikkor also the J9 and helios 40 are both on my radar. Twisted Evil But first I need a bag of money. Laughing
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for Pancolar 80mm f1.8 from my lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
What do you think is a reasonable price for a near mint copy of the panacolor? The shop asks for $475, more than my Contax 85 cost me.

I don't know. I myself would like a copy of that lens to find out how it looks. 475 dollars seems a bit on the hefty side, but if you are buying from a shop, it is to be expected: shops don't have the Ebay prices.
On the other hand, the lens is so rare and difficult to find, that even a steep price might be reasonable, because you will always find someone ready to pay that price again to you.
-