Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pallas Auto Wide 35mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure these are originally Mirandas? They don't look anything like my Mirandas:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Are you sure these are originally Mirandas? They don't look anything like my Mirandas:

YES!

see my research @ flickr klik here

and here for some photos, some look realy like those you have Wink

reg.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh yes, this one looks just like my Miranda 1.8/50:

I like Miranda lenses, I have 2.8/28, 2.8/50, 1.4/50, 1.8/50, 2.8/100 and 3.5/135 of the same series as well as an earlier 1.9/50 and a 200mm that's either a Sun or Fujita, Sun I think.

I've only really used the 2.8/28, 1.4/50 and 2.8/100 enough to gain a good impression, they are pretty good, not upto the standards of the Topcon RE Autos or Konishiroku Hexanons of the same vintage but probably similar to Nikkors and Takumars. Build quality is outstanding, easily as nice in feel and build as the Takumars.

They aren't very common, the 1.8/50 is probably the most often seen, although there are loads of Soligor badged ones I strongly suspect are Mirandas as they look the same. I often wonder if all the chrome ear Soligors are Mirandas as the chrome ears are found on Miranda lenses. The 135 and 200mm chrome ear Soligors are widely regarded as very good lenses so it wouldn't surprised me if they are Mirandas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got three chrome ear Soligors, and as far as I can tell one is a Tokina 135mm, another a Sun 200mm and the third is a 35mm bag of shite !
But Miranda and Soligor are very often talked about as being closely linked ?

EDIT - I've just discovered I have four, details in next post. Embarassed

Last edited by Lloydy on Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I've got three chrome ear Soligors, and as far as I can tell one is a Tokina 135mm, another a Sun 200mm and the third is a 35mm bag of shite !

Yes, it's confusing, the Soligor 135 and 200 look exactly the same as the Miranda ones, Allied Impex owned both companies but I don't know whether this means both Soligor and Miranda 135 and 200 are made by Miranda or if they are bought in from another company.

Miranda E 2.8/135:

Miranda E 3.5/200:

Soligor 2.8/135:

Miranda 3.5/200:

To me, too similar to not be closely related.

On the 35mm Miranda, there are two versions of the E chrome ears 35mm, one is unusually large, the other is normal sized for a 35mm. Could you post a picture of yours David, see if it resembles the Miranda?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is not good....... Rolling Eyes

This 35 f3.5 is Kino according to the '9' serial number.

My 135 f2.8 and 200 f4.5 are exactly the same as your Miranda, but the 135has a 'M' before the serial number - maybe to denote Miranda sourced ? But - from the big Soligor thread I think it's Tokina. Both start wit '1'
My 300 f5.5 is the same style but from the serial numbers is a Sun lens - serial number starts with '3'

I shall give the 35 another chance to redeem itself tomorrow. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, it does have the chrome ears like a Miranda but doesn't look like the Miranda 2.8/35:

This is the larger sized Miranda 2.8/35, the mirandacamera.com site lists it as 6 elements in 5 groups, but I suspect that is the formula of the smaller one and the larger one had more glass:

The Miranda 2.8/28 is really good and has 8 elements in 7 groups, it looks like the smaller 2.8/35:

Couple of HDRs I shot with my copy of the Miranda 2.8/28:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

EDIT - I've just discovered I have four, details in next post. Embarassed

YES!

It is possible to have a different built lens, not al the Pallas and Soligor are confirmed to be buil by Sun or Tokina, even in that time, there where wery bad replications of the original, sold as original.

The same with brand replication or copy, now days comes out of china,.....so who can tel,...

Mine pallas 35/2.8 is exellent! produce as the same quality as I was accustomed from the Pallas 28/2.8

Reg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wondered if Miranda made their own lenses of it they bought them in from makes like Sun and Tokina. My 200mm Miranda looks like a Sun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I've written at that Soligor thread that 9 is probably Kobori. There are at least 2 Soligor zooms - 35-70mm F2.5/3.5 and 70-160mm F3.5 - that are made by Kobori and sold also uder their own brand Tefnon. Both these zooms have s/n that starts with 9.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found today a SUNAGOR 28/2.8 who look exactley like the Pallas 28/2.8 ( no dowbt it is buil by SUN!)

And the pallas 28/2.8

reg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

I've written at that Soligor thread that 9 is probably Kobori. There are at least 2 Soligor zooms - 35-70mm F2.5/3.5 and 70-160mm F3.5 - that are made by Kobori and sold also uder their own brand Tefnon. Both these zooms have s/n that starts with 9.

9 for Kobori is valid for later Soligor lines like C/D. I am confident Soligor serial numbers system changed in time. Possibly even more then once.