Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Outdoor macro with Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Outdoor macro with Rodenstock Magnagon 5.6/75 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

This lens is supposedly the APO-Rodagon-D 4.5/75 in industrial guise with fixed aperture disk. It's a tiny thing with an M39 mount, so I can use it on a set of Russian M39 bellows on my NEX-3. It certainly seems to be apochromatic as I detect no CA and it is as sharp as any lens I have ever used. Both microcontrast and macrocontrast are very high, it seems to be immune to flare and the bokeh is very smooth, just how I like it. Not bad for 19.99ukp. I wouldn't sell it for 5x as much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the word stack is in the filename, it is stacked. There's no threads to put a hood on it. I played with the shadows quite a bit which is more likely at fault in #3 as I remember it had a dark background and I pulled up the shadows in ACR to make the background lighter, I probably overdid it a bit, reducing contrast overall.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7, #11 are my favorites, nice lens, nice presentation!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, what did I do wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an attitude, merely a pinched nerve in my shoulder that makes typing painful, therefore I didn't write much I might have such as a detailed explanation of what was done to each image.

If you simply roll your mouse over an image, it displays the filename at the bottom of the browser window.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!!
Macro is something i yearn to conquer! if i get time. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mr. Beard!

I'm not much of a close-ups shooter really but I've got into it the last couple of months because ill health has kept me close to home so I have to shoot whatever I can find nearby and that happens to be flowers in these summer months.

I'm no expert but I have found a decent enlarger lens on a set of bellows works best for me and is a really cheap solution compared to what most macro lenses cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent presentation Ian and you say you are a neophyte at Macro?well I have been shooting Macro for a number of years and assure you it certainly doesn't show with this set up and your ability to obtain the best from it. Love all of the shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers kryss!

There were quite a few that didn't turn out so good, part of the learning process.

One thing I have learned - wind is the outdoor macro shooters mortal enemy!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

One thing I have learned - wind is the outdoor macro shooters mortal enemy!

So true! Nice photos, Ian. Hope you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm okay, just can't go walking up and down the big hills here to find the pretty scenery, sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you're feeling better! Macro is something that needs to be learned, it is not just "point-n-shoot" and you did quite well!!