Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oshiro 135mm f/2.8 construction?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Oshiro 135mm f/2.8 construction? Reply with quote

Does anyone have an optical diagram for the Oshiro 135mm f/2.8?

This is the lens:

Click here to see on Ebay

and

http://oshirooptics.com/our-products/oshiro-135mm-f2-8-ld-unc-al-telephoto-full-frame-prime-lens/

I was curious to try a lower end, yet modern 135 so I recently bought a Chinese made Oshiro. So far I've taken it out only briefly for some test shots.
It looks and feels nicely constructed. And image quality appears good, if not brilliant.

My lens was bought brand new, but I still haven't decided if I want to keep it because I'm having doubts about its advertised specifications. It's claimed to have 9 elements in 7 groups and weigh 700 grams. But I weighed my lens and it's 585 g, not 700. And that makes me wonder about Oshiro's claim of 9 elements.

When I asked, the ebay seller said they didn't have an optical diagram. I also sent requests to Oshiro, but they haven't replied. Confused

And yes, I agree with those of you thinking that how a lens performs is more important than how many elements it has. But I'd still like to know for certain.

I tried to capture reflections from a LED flashlight / torch. Do these images suggest how many elements the Oshiro has?
The Oshiro's iris was fully open for these shots:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weight is it with caps and hood?

It is for two cameras but only shows one weight?

Oshiro's information matches the box. The review for the lense is most worrying, going to replace a 50mm and 35mm.

Also has anyone reviewed it and given their take on its qulity and specification?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazon reviews aren't too encouraging. https://www.amazon.com/Oshiro-135mm-Telephoto-Digital-Cameras/dp/B017TCOS7W/?tag=spoilerfoiler-20#customerReviews From what I see on Flickr (very little) it is nothing special.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Mitakon...

https://zyoptics.net/product/mitakon-creator-135mm-f-2-8/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It is a Mitakon...

https://zyoptics.net/product/mitakon-creator-135mm-f-2-8/

Looks like it is made in the same factory but the Mitakon has a 6/6 design and the Oshiro a 9/7 design according to the manufacturer websites (but neither show lens diagrams).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oshiro 135mm f/2.8 construction? Reply with quote

55 wrote:
Does anyone have an optical diagram for the Oshiro 135mm f/2.8?

It looks and feels nicely constructed. And image quality appears good, if not brilliant.

My lens was bought brand new, but I still haven't decided if I want to keep it because I'm having doubts about its advertised specifications. It's claimed to have 9 elements in 7 groups and weigh 700 grams. But I weighed my lens and it's 585 g, not 700. And that makes me wonder about Oshiro's claim of 9 elements.
And yes, I agree with those of you thinking that how a lens performs is more important than how many elements it has. But I'd still like to know for certain.

I tried to capture reflections from a LED flashlight / torch. Do these images suggest how many elements the Oshiro has?
The Oshiro's iris was fully open for these shots:

Basically, I would keep it if you are satisfied with the image quality. Of course it's annoying if the manufacturer seems to be less than honest (the only eleven reflections [instead of 14+] and the wrong weight seem to indicate that), but finally I choose my "working lenses" by their performance and handling qualities. I have a Pentay M* 4/300mm ED with three large ED lenses and a fourth lens made of extremely expensive Noctilux-like glass (nD 1.89 and v=40), but it doesn't perform better than other non-ED (!) 300mm lenses - so what's the point of having a complicated lens section and multiple ED lenses if CAs aren't better that with conventional glass?

BTW the Oshiro Box indicates the use of LD glass (v=70), and not AD/ULD/ED glass (v=80).

S

EDIT: I have checked their website, and there are several additional obvious inaccuracies. I would not overestimate that, since similar problems are well known e. g. for Minolta ads during the 1960s.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slalom wrote:
The weight is it with caps and hood?

It is for two cameras but only shows one weight?
. . .

My copy is Canon EF mount with a built in hood. My 585 g weight was without caps.

Thanks to all for the replies.

So it appears the Oshiro is the same as the Mitakon? And the Mitakon is probably more honestly described than the Oshiro.
From what I've seen, the Oshiro seems to be a reasonable value. For $160 I wasn't expecting a lens equivalent to the latest Zeiss. But I do expect a new lens to be as advertised.

For better or worse, I have a weakness for solid, metal lenses - especially 135s. So despite the misrepresentation, I like the Oshiro and may keep it. I still have a few days to decide.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would look crazy to me 9 lenses for a rather simple focal length and speed...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
It would look crazy to me 9 lenses for a rather simple focal length and speed...

Zeiss (Tamron) Batis 2.8/135mm: 14 Lenses (eight of which are AD lenses with anomalous partial dispersion), 11 elements.

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

and price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been used to price range of 10-40 for pretty good to excellent lenses of this focal range (Pentacons, Konicas, Schneiders, Zeiss), the eye is troubled by some comments on Amazon and DPreview regarding this lens. "A really wide aperture" which is repeated several times, while the lens has just a standard spec, most common since 1960s. It sounds like people speaking about the lens' "high luminosity" are normally using Rapid Aplanats from the 1900s, with f6.3 as the largest value. The praise of "especially good for this price", speaking on such common specs being paid for up to 190 quids, is also pretty estonishing. Those are like signals from a parallel universe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:

calvin83 wrote:
and price.

Yes, too good to be true, I suppose. Yet still fun to give it at try.

alex ph wrote:
. . .
Those are like signals from a parallel universe.

Smile

The weather has been grey and wet, so I tried an indoor test. A torture test, actually, with a brightly lit window in the background. I normally wouldn't shoot in such harsh light, but I wanted to see how the Oshiro handled adverse conditions. Also included in the test were a SMC Pentax "K" 135 f/2.5 and a Contax Zeiss Sonnar 135 f/2.8.

Shots were taken from about 2 meters away with a Sony A7ii set to AV and Daylight white balance. The images are center crops of standard setting Sony JPEGs assembled into a collage and resized for viewing here.

If you'd like to try to guess which lens took which shot, I won't tell you here, but the answer is below the group photo of the three 135s.
Click the sample photos to see a larger size.

#1 wide open

#2 at f/8

The order of the samples is the same as in the group photo: Zeiss, Oshiro, Pentax.

That harsh light would be difficult for most of my lenses, but I was disappointed at the progressive loss of contrast as the Oshiro stopped down. It appears to be better corrected for chromatic aberrations than my older 135s, but otherwise I'm becoming unhappy with its performance.
It's not a poor lens, but I had hoped for better image quality from an ostensibly modern design.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Pentax wins this one. First I thought the second one was Pentax and three Zeiss and wondered why the Pentax had the least purple fringing. But after I saw the order it made more sense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I think the Pentax wins this one. . .

Agreed.

I'm always impressed by the flare resistance and apparent sharpness of the Pentax. It sometimes has strong fringing, but among my older lenses the Pentax is the contrast king.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I think the Pentax wins this one. First I thought the second one was Pentax and three Zeiss and wondered why the Pentax had the least purple fringing. But after I saw the order it made more sense.

On the right edge of the camera , there is green shifting more visible on pentax