Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion 15 - any experiences?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Orion 15 - any experiences? Reply with quote

I just bought an Orion 15 USSR lens.

Do anyone have experience with this lens and how it performs? Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky Very Happy

Orio tried this lens : http://forum.mflenses.com/orion-15-6-28-l39-mount-t38706,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

Looks like verdict was positiv Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars, is our SEARCH function really that bad here, or is it just, well, you know ..??

I got 14 hits w/o yours, two are my threads:
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-walk-with-the-orion-15-f6-28mm-rf-lens-t44477,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/orion-15-f6-28mm-vs-canon-f3-5-25mm-rf-lenses-t44360,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Lars, is our SEARCH function really that bad here, or is it just, well, you know ..??

I got 14 hits w/o yours, two are my threads:
http://forum.mflenses.com/a-walk-with-the-orion-15-f6-28mm-rf-lens-t44477,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/orion-15-f6-28mm-vs-canon-f3-5-25mm-rf-lenses-t44360,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

Is there a search function? Laughing Laughing

Quite expensive lens IMO, but well spent if the lens is as good as the threads says Surprised
Can the russar lens be used with mirrorless cams or is it to deep?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
You're lucky Very Happy

Orio tried this lens : http://forum.mflenses.com/orion-15-6-28-l39-mount-t38706,highlight,%2Borion+%2B15.html

Looks like verdict was positiv Smile

Looking good, thx Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small and good one, like any other good 28mm SLR lens, I like mine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Awesome!
I am curious how it perform against the Industar 69 lens on my OM-D Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Attila wrote:

Awesome!
I am curious how it perform against the Industar 69 lens on my OM-D Surprised

Me too, Industar has advantage, not wide lens, so probably better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 69 only covers a smaller format, whereas Orion-15 covers full format, so a bit of an unfair comparison, but Orion beats it, as I had and tested both (Industar I let go...)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Industar 69 only covers a smaller format, whereas Orion-15 covers full format, so a bit of an unfair comparison, but Orion beats it, as I had and tested both (Industar I let go...)

Wow, that is pretty good, because Industar 69 do pretty well on m43. So maybe the 190 Euro was well spent money after all Very Happy

Thx for the information!

How about the Russar 20mm? Can it be used or is it to deep for mirrorless system camera?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Then again, on apertures <6 the Industar wins by default, and costs about 10% of the Orion-15 price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Then again, on apertures <6 the Industar wins by default, and costs about 10% of the Orion-15 price.

Certainly not, as teh IQ of the Orion is much higher.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Arkku wrote:

Certainly not, as teh IQ of the Orion is much higher.

(emphasis added)

The Orion is an f/6 lens if I understand correctly, so it cannot compete at f/2.8…

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and I use on my film RF cameras. No idea how it would work on a digi, but my experience says it's a fantastic lens. It does have some nice vignetting going on with wider apertures that you can use for artisic purposes.

Foma100 developed in Rodinal. Deep orange filter used.

Zorki-6_Foma100_120417_24 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

Zorki-6_Foma100_120417_05 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

Zorki-6_Foma100_120417_01 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vignetting fit really well, beautiful images!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I bought the I-69 with modified the flange for 500 rubles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do a quick test my self with both when the Orion shows up Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
Arkku wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I bought the I-69 with modified the flange for 500 rubles.

I paid about the same for mine. (Unmodified, but it's very easy to modify with just a screwdriver… Also, the close focusing distance can be modified to be 40 cm instead of 80 cm.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion 15 LTM. Photos taken today (April 2, 2013) with Leica M9, f8, in NYC Chinatown. Minimal color correction and very small amount of "smart sharpen" in Photoshop.

I have had four examples of this lens in LTM. All were excellent except one, which obviously had a defect. All the others were very sharp, and required a little bit of lithium grease on the helical. One needed the glass cleaned due to haze. If you buy one, try to check beforehand. These rarely have scratches on the front element because the glass is recessed deep in the lens. The focus is usually very stiff and need to be lubricated. I have not found vignetting to be a serious problem.

I'm going to keep this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
Orion 15 LTM. Photos taken today (April 2, 2013) with Leica M9, f8, in NYC Chinatown. Minimal color correction and very small amount of "smart sharpen" in Photoshop.

I have had four examples of this lens in LTM. All were excellent except one, which obviously had a defect. All the others were very sharp, and required a little bit of lithium grease on the helical. One needed the glass cleaned due to haze. If you buy one, try to check beforehand. These rarely have scratches on the front element because the glass is recessed deep in the lens. The focus is usually very stiff and need to be lubricated. I have not found vignetting to be a serious problem.

I'm going to keep this one.

Awesome, thx for samples from Big Apple. I´m going to Manhattan in a couple of months. Any good tips of used photo eq. stores? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The days of good used photostores are over. There used to be a hundred.

Adorama has a used department, as does BH, but you won't find any bargains.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thx

I guess I will be spending my time shooting instead of buying then Wink

B&H is of course on my list, I've bought a few lenses there. I watched the map, and I didn't know that Adorama was almost next to B&H too Very Happy

Just wondering what gear to bring now... Rolling Eyes

The Orion is of course a good and small candidate, and maybe my Canon 50mm f/1.4 in C-mount. Samyang 7.5mm fisheye could be useful for architecture. Canon 2x extender in C-mount to make the Canon 50mm a 100mm 2.8 maybe?!?

That would be a really compact system, any thoughts? Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in NYC do a lot of walking.

You'll be doing so many things and eating so much good food that you won't have time to change many lenses or play with too much equipment. You won't want to be weighed down with a heavy camera bag or backpack.

I'd suggest that if this is your first trip, bring a minimal amount of camera gear. One body, and a couple of lenses, and probably a point and shoot camera. Even your phone camera.

Also, remember, be very careful. Keep your eye on your camera, passport, wallet all the time. Don't leave anything on the table in a restaurant, and keep your money and your passport in an inner pocket. Don't leave anything very expensive in your hotel room.

NYC is much safer than it used to be, but don't be lulled into a sense of false security. I live in an area which gets a lot of tourists, and I see these problems all the time.

What is the main camera you're going to shoot with?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
People in NYC do a lot of walking.

You'll be doing so many things and eating so much good food that you won't have time to change many lenses or play with too much equipment. You won't want to be weighed down with a heavy camera bag or backpack.

I'd suggest that if this is your first trip, bring a minimal amount of camera gear. One body, and a couple of lenses, and probably a point and shoot camera. Even your phone camera.

Also, remember, be very careful. Keep your eye on your camera, passport, wallet all the time. Don't leave anything on the table in a restaurant, and keep your money and your passport in an inner pocket. Don't leave anything very expensive in your hotel room.

NYC is much safer than it used to be, but don't be lulled into a sense of false security. I live in an area which gets a lot of tourists, and I see these problems all the time.

What is the main camera you're going to shoot with?

I´ve been there before, and seen most of the tourist spots Wink

I felt pretty safe lasty time in -97. The only place I watched a little bit over my shoulder was in some neighborhoods up in Bronx. We where going to the ZOO and we manage to take the wrong subway to the wrong side of Bronx, and Bronx is pretty big and the neighborhoods wasn´t the best in town back then! Very Happy

I will bring my OM-D together with 3 small mf lenses (pocket size). We will stay at Helmsley Park Lane next to the Plaza (central park) for 8 days and yes I need to loose some weight before I go because the american food is both tasty and gainy Laughing Laughing

I want to visit the 9/11 memorial and museum who was designed by a Norwegian company (Snøhetta) which is the only building that is built on the actual site. I have a picture of my self standing there from -97 with the towers behind, so this will be a special moment to see this spot again after the unbelivale and tragic happenings.

Any special spots to recommend? (resturants, things to do etc.?)