Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Orion 15 - any experiences?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Industar 69 only covers a smaller format, whereas Orion-15 covers full format, so a bit of an unfair comparison, but Orion beats it, as I had and tested both (Industar I let go...)

Then again, on apertures <6 the Industar wins by default, and costs about 10% of the Orion-15 price.

I bought the I-69 with modified the flange for 500 rubles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do a quick test my self with both when the Orion shows up Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamerer wrote:
Arkku wrote:
kds315* wrote:
Industar 69 only covers a smaller format, whereas Orion-15 covers full format, so a bit of an unfair comparison, but Orion beats it, as I had and tested both (Industar I let go...)

Then again, on apertures <6 the Industar wins by default, and costs about 10% of the Orion-15 price.

I bought the I-69 with modified the flange for 500 rubles.

I paid about the same for mine. (Unmodified, but it's very easy to modify with just a screwdriver… Also, the close focusing distance can be modified to be 40 cm instead of 80 cm.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion 15 LTM. Photos taken today (April 2, 2013) with Leica M9, f8, in NYC Chinatown. Minimal color correction and very small amount of "smart sharpen" in Photoshop.

I have had four examples of this lens in LTM. All were excellent except one, which obviously had a defect. All the others were very sharp, and required a little bit of lithium grease on the helical. One needed the glass cleaned due to haze. If you buy one, try to check beforehand. These rarely have scratches on the front element because the glass is recessed deep in the lens. The focus is usually very stiff and need to be lubricated. I have not found vignetting to be a serious problem.

I'm going to keep this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
Orion 15 LTM. Photos taken today (April 2, 2013) with Leica M9, f8, in NYC Chinatown. Minimal color correction and very small amount of "smart sharpen" in Photoshop.

I have had four examples of this lens in LTM. All were excellent except one, which obviously had a defect. All the others were very sharp, and required a little bit of lithium grease on the helical. One needed the glass cleaned due to haze. If you buy one, try to check beforehand. These rarely have scratches on the front element because the glass is recessed deep in the lens. The focus is usually very stiff and need to be lubricated. I have not found vignetting to be a serious problem.

I'm going to keep this one.

Awesome, thx for samples from Big Apple. I´m going to Manhattan in a couple of months. Any good tips of used photo eq. stores? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The days of good used photostores are over. There used to be a hundred.

Adorama has a used department, as does BH, but you won't find any bargains.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thx

I guess I will be spending my time shooting instead of buying then Wink

B&H is of course on my list, I've bought a few lenses there. I watched the map, and I didn't know that Adorama was almost next to B&H too Very Happy

Just wondering what gear to bring now... Rolling Eyes

The Orion is of course a good and small candidate, and maybe my Canon 50mm f/1.4 in C-mount. Samyang 7.5mm fisheye could be useful for architecture. Canon 2x extender in C-mount to make the Canon 50mm a 100mm 2.8 maybe?!?

That would be a really compact system, any thoughts? Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in NYC do a lot of walking.

You'll be doing so many things and eating so much good food that you won't have time to change many lenses or play with too much equipment. You won't want to be weighed down with a heavy camera bag or backpack.

I'd suggest that if this is your first trip, bring a minimal amount of camera gear. One body, and a couple of lenses, and probably a point and shoot camera. Even your phone camera.

Also, remember, be very careful. Keep your eye on your camera, passport, wallet all the time. Don't leave anything on the table in a restaurant, and keep your money and your passport in an inner pocket. Don't leave anything very expensive in your hotel room.

NYC is much safer than it used to be, but don't be lulled into a sense of false security. I live in an area which gets a lot of tourists, and I see these problems all the time.

What is the main camera you're going to shoot with?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
People in NYC do a lot of walking.

You'll be doing so many things and eating so much good food that you won't have time to change many lenses or play with too much equipment. You won't want to be weighed down with a heavy camera bag or backpack.

I'd suggest that if this is your first trip, bring a minimal amount of camera gear. One body, and a couple of lenses, and probably a point and shoot camera. Even your phone camera.

Also, remember, be very careful. Keep your eye on your camera, passport, wallet all the time. Don't leave anything on the table in a restaurant, and keep your money and your passport in an inner pocket. Don't leave anything very expensive in your hotel room.

NYC is much safer than it used to be, but don't be lulled into a sense of false security. I live in an area which gets a lot of tourists, and I see these problems all the time.

What is the main camera you're going to shoot with?

I´ve been there before, and seen most of the tourist spots Wink

I felt pretty safe lasty time in -97. The only place I watched a little bit over my shoulder was in some neighborhoods up in Bronx. We where going to the ZOO and we manage to take the wrong subway to the wrong side of Bronx, and Bronx is pretty big and the neighborhoods wasn´t the best in town back then! Very Happy

I will bring my OM-D together with 3 small mf lenses (pocket size). We will stay at Helmsley Park Lane next to the Plaza (central park) for 8 days and yes I need to loose some weight before I go because the american food is both tasty and gainy Laughing Laughing

I want to visit the 9/11 memorial and museum who was designed by a Norwegian company (Snøhetta) which is the only building that is built on the actual site. I have a picture of my self standing there from -97 with the towers behind, so this will be a special moment to see this spot again after the unbelivale and tragic happenings.

Any special spots to recommend? (resturants, things to do etc.?)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited B&H, didn't get to Adorama. B&H has no used bargains but is definitely worth visiting, I've never seen such organized chaos!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Zeiss version of this lens with my Kiev in the 70's It flared badly. But it is compact.

I use a couple of Vivitar and Zuiko 28mm's on my NEX and they are great. But so big with the adapter. This is a genuine short focus lens and as a result very small. But so is the aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 2 blocks from the WTC and I photographed everything from close up when it was attacked on 9/11.

I'd be more than happy to recommend restaurants or places to visit here, but I have to know your taste. I don't have a typical "American" taste in food, I prefer Chinese, Japanese, Indian and other cheaper ethnic restaurants rather than touristy "destination" venues.

It wouldn't hurt to go to Adorama if you're looking for a bargain on something specific. Speak to "Andy" and tell him he was recommended to you. These guys at Adorama don't suffer fools and are highly intelligent. If they like you, they'll give you special deals. Try to know what you're looking for and don't ask a lot of silly questions. They can seem nasty but that is the NY style, they are very good guys. Remember, they are all Orthodox Jews and are closed on Friday night and Saturday. Andy knows every single bit of used equipment ever made, and he speaks six languages. He knows about cameras and lenses that are practically unknown to anyone else. He was originally from Hungary.

32nd Street near Broadway used to be heaven for used photo equipment stores. Unfortunately, nothing is left in that area except for a few gyp joints. eBay and the internet killed off the used photo stores, they have totally vanished. There is a weekend flea market near 25th Street and 6th Avenue that VERY OCCASIONALLY has some good used stuff, but there are specific buyers who show up by 5am and grab anything good.

Be very careful of any photo shops near the Park Lane where you are staying. They are frightful cheating establishments mostly run by Syrians who will skin you alive if you buy there.

Andy. Leica M9 and 1952 50mm f1.5 Jupiter-3 lens:

I took these two the week of 9/11 with a Nikon Coolpix 990:

This is not snow but falling ash from the explosions, like Pompeii:

This was taken from my window years later.

Nordentro wrote:
tro"]

I´ve been there before, and seen most of the tourist spots Wink

I felt pretty safe lasty time in -97. The only place I watched a little bit over my shoulder was in some neighborhoods up in Bronx. We where going to the ZOO and we manage to take the wrong subway to the wrong side of Bronx, and Bronx is pretty big and the neighborhoods wasn´t the best in town back then! Very Happy

I will bring my OM-D together with 3 small mf lenses (pocket size). We will stay at Helmsley Park Lane next to the Plaza (central park) for 8 days and yes I need to loose some weight before I go because the american food is both tasty and gainy Laughing Laughing

I want to visit the 9/11 memorial and museum who was designed by a Norwegian company (Snøhetta) which is the only building that is built on the actual site. I have a picture of my self standing there from -97 with the towers behind, so this will be a special moment to see this spot again after the unbelievable and tragic happenings.

Any special spots to recommend? (resturants, things to do etc.?)

This was a few months ago:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for sharing pictures and I am happy to see new buildings popping.

I will visit both, B&H and Adorama for sure Wink And I will look after Andy as well!
I guess my wife want to go to "popular" places. She talked about a Boat House restaurant in Central Park, been there?

I would love to see some sports while I am there, but I guess it's just Baseball going on in June?!?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Orion yesterday! Very Happy

Together with cousin Industar 69

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion looks much more serious Laughing nice lady vs tramp . Is anybody saw it in Kiev mount ? Congrats for your new gem look forward your great shoots!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image quality. I need to get into some of theses russian lenses... As of now my only one is a jupiter 21m 200/4 and I have never shot a single frame with it! Just picked it up a week ago or so and I am not that close with my m42 film SLR's... its a shame, I know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yelp.com/biz/central-park-boathouse-new-york#query:boat%20house%20restaurant

For me, this is a tourist trap for non-New Yorkers. Food is not great, overpriced. The view of the park is nice, I guess.

Sorry, I can't help you on sports, I don't really follow them.

Nordentro wrote:

I will visit both, B&H and Adorama for sure Wink And I will look after Andy as well!
I guess my wife want to go to "popular" places. She talked about a Boat House restaurant in Central Park, been there?

I would love to see some sports while I am there, but I guess it's just Baseball going on in June?!?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Valdemar wrote:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/central-park-boathouse-new-york#query:boat%20house%20restaurant

For me, this is a tourist trap for non-New Yorkers. Food is not great, overpriced. The view of the park is nice, I guess.

Sorry, I can't help you on sports, I don't really follow them.

Nordentro wrote:

Thx, I'll pass over the information to my better half Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought this lens and tried it on my 36 megapixel Sony a7r and I must say I really like it but the a7r are quite bad at handling short flange length wide angle lenses.

I have made a short lens review at my blog: http://lenshound.iblogger.org/?p=54

It is amazing how sharp this old lens is!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P_X9udVCKVM/U_5SSFl5GOI/AAAAAAABh38/WUaNiM1ljlI/w1386-h925-no/DSC07003.jpg[img]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenshound wrote:
I recently bought this lens and tried it on my 36 megapixel Sony a7r and I must say I really like it but the a7r are quite bad at handling short flange length wide angle lenses.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P_X9udVCKVM/U_5SSFl5GOI/AAAAAAABh38/WUaNiM1ljlI/w1386-h925-no/DSC07003.jpg[img]

Your link doesn't work (1st one), please correct.

Yes, it is a wonderfully sharp lens, whcih my friend Marco Cavina has shown here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Soviet_and_wide_lenses_on_Leica_M/00_p.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Lenshound wrote:

Your link doesn't work (1st one), please correct.

Yes, it is a wonderfully sharp lens, whcih my friend Marco Cavina has shown here:
http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Soviet_and_wide_lenses_on_Leica_M/00_p.htm

Strange, works for me? and on my phone..

Check http://lenshound.iblogger.org
its the newest post Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week i bought the orion 15 for an incredible cheap price.
i like the lens very much on my Nex-6.

Here some pics with the lens from the weekend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful vivid colors , congrats!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, nice samples! Very Happy