Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optomax 85-205mm F3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Optomax 85-205mm F3.8 Reply with quote

Bought this lens out of curiosity. It was listed as a Minolta mount Panagor 100-300. I could see that it wasn't and at 3.99gbp, I had to take a punt.

Shot at 205mm wide open....

Crop....

And finally the lens....

It's not the best lens I have, but it's a handy one to carry with my film cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice focal lenght to have. In sunny days it covers all tele needs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Optomax 85-205mm F3.8 Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Bought this lens out of curiosity. It was listed as a Minolta mount Panagor 100-300. I could see that it wasn't and at 3.99gbp, I had to take a punt.

<snip>

It's not the best lens I have, but it's a handy one to carry with my film cameras.

I'd certainly be very happy with that! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - Yes, it will find a use on days when I don't feel like playing the prime lens juggling game. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a probably the Kiron, possibly the most common Kiron lens around, and one of the most common of all third party zooms.

These were made in several versions from, I think, the late 1960's/early 1970's until at least 1975/76. They were sold under at least twenty brand names, and probably many more.

They are also seen in several cosmetic designs depending on the vendor and the time. They are available as Vivitars for instance, in both the earlier straight-line grip knurling (and I think sometimes also the "silver nose" that Big Dawg has), and later with rubber grips.

Theres a good reason why it was so popular - it was an excellent value for money at the time, and I think it still is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw it I did hope that it was the Vivitar 85-205. Looks like it could well be the same lens.

Whatever it is, it's useful and a bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first image has some 3D pop to it. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like the kiron, I've had one on my watch list a few times. I always thought this was the forerunner to the 75-205mm version with almost as good IQ ie excellent for the price the lens was when new.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Optomax - Sunagor? Reply with quote

I've just picked up a Sunagor 85-205 that looks identical to the Optomax in this thread. First couple of shots of the neighbour's chimney stacks look good with no fringing at either end of the zoom.