Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Optische Werke Gottingen GmbH Westar 2.8/45
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Optische Werke Gottingen GmbH Westar 2.8/45 Reply with quote

Received this lens a while back and just took a couple tests because I couldn't focus very far out. It is a pancake with M39 thread mount. I put on a M39/42 step up ring, then mounted to M42 adapter. So it made sense that it wouldn't focus to infinity. I bought a "Leica M39/ L39/ LTM lens to Sony E Mount NEX adapter " from Rainbowimaging, thinking that was correct. Now it seems to sit way too close to the sensor and I can't get anything in focus. Where did I go wrong?

Test at f/2.8 on a rainy day last month...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lens made for Braun Paxette camera. I would suggest put it into a helicoid to shorten the MFD.

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-method-to-couple-paxette-l39-to-nex-t63822.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change nothing, this looks like a real Barry Lyndon 2 candidate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

Um, what?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
This is a lens made for Braun Paxette camera. I would suggest put it into a helicoid to shorten the MFD.

http://forum.mflenses.com/best-method-to-couple-paxette-l39-to-nex-t63822.html

I read that and looked up Paxette register and see that is 44mm, which makes more sense to me in what I saw than does shortening the distance as much as the LTM adapter did. It seems the M42 adapter is 1.5mm too long. I'm thinking a simpler and definitely less expensive approach might be to just take 1.5mm out of the middle of the M42 adapter and epoxy it back together. I can probably get it done using my wood lathe - spinning ensures an even cut line.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

Um, what?

Softness and glow of Kubrick's Zeiss F0.7 in Barry Lyndon Wink.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be temped to try it on another adapter.. know anyone else with one close by?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy an adaptor. I got one on the recommendation of another member. It converts Braun to Leica, use it on a regular LTM adaptor. I'll look for an image or link and edit this post...

EDIT: This is the adaptor, you can get it from Redwood Components (pic linked thru to ebay) this is who I bought mine from. He makes a variety of adaptors for some rather exotic lenses. http://stores.ebay.com/redwoodcomponentsandaccessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Be temped to try it on another adapter.. know anyone else with one close by?

Another what adapter? M42 is too long, M39 too short. Others are just wrong. I can get a M42 adapter from Rainbow imaging for ~$6 including shipping and cut off 1.5mm. Can't lose much in trying. And besides, NO ONE does MF for hundreds of miles from what I can tell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a spare extension that will give you infinity on a ordinary m39 adapter. Just PM me if this could be interesting Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Well, I have a spare extension that will give you infinity on a ordinary m39 adapter. Just PM me if this could be interesting Wink

As in extension tube? I would be interested in buying something like that as well.