Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

optional EVF for NEX5N/5R/5T/F3 fragile?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: optional EVF for NEX5N/5R/5T/F3 fragile? Reply with quote

When the NEX5N came out I remember many voices saying that it's optional EVF, the FDA-EV1S, sticking out like that must be extremely fragile.
Please have a look at my NEX5N:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MNo43p]
Sony NEX5N + fragile(??) EVF[/url] by andreas, on Flickr[/url]

a 100% crop showing the wear

I have been using this camera heavily since 6 years now and it's EVF always has been mounted. I don't use a neck strap but a waist pouch into which the camera has to be a bit 'forced' in and out, every time putting lateral pressure on the EVF. The EVF continues to be working just as well as it did day 1!

Interestingly most of the criticism of the EVF had come right after it had come to the market, at a time nobody possibly could have had much experience with it yet. I don't say that it can't break, of course there must be some out there who did have their EVF breaking, just as there are people out there that had their camera breaking..

I believe that the harsh critizism had been a decisive factor why Sony decided to go for the mock prism design for their A7 series of cameras, rightfully figuring that this 'traditional' design is more readily accepted. Sony also never developed any new, optional EVF nor cameras that take an optional, moveable EVF again but the now also discontinued direct successors of the 5N.

Personally I really dig the advantages of a moveable EVF, mind something that an optical VF can't offer: It not only enables taking photos of all kind of angles, specially low angles without having to force ones neck while sometimes even having to lie down. Tilting it, usually to abt. 40 degree, also drops the camera so that one always can look down into the EVF and that always keeps one's neck relaxed. Furthermore this lower positon enables one to lock ones upper arms against the side of one's trunk which makes for a more stable position than having to lift the camera up to look into a fixed VF which leaves one's arms dangle free! Many people are aware of the less stable position if one uses a camera at arm lenghts, using the LCD, and I wonder why not more people have become aware or defend the more stable, 3 point instead of just one point support a moveable EVF enables.

Hoping that future models again shall offer moveable EVFs I won't tire to point at their advantages

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell . Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Time will tell . Wink

after some 8 years of heavy, continuous use on the road, shutter count now 65.000 +, still kicking and alive without any fault whatsoever, both camera and specially EVF