Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

opening a workspace & gallery in Helsinki, Finland
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good - well, maybe a little bit too hypno on the floor for my liking Smile but it's part of the character of the place. Smile

My best wishes for your enterprise - it takes some guts to open an art or photo gallery in these days of crisis!

I was wondering, what is your selling scheme? Do you make prints for all people who ask? Or do you set a limited number for each image? Do you sell prints at the size that you decide or do you allow people to choose their preferred size?

I see you put fabric background rolls on the wall - do you plan to use the location as a studio, too?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That floor is wild! I love the apparent perspective exaggerations it causes.

Last edited by cooltouch on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Orio, your words are encouraging! Wine is on me if you're able to visit Helsinki some day Smile

Times are not promising I agree, we haven't even dared to ask the bank to lend us money... We renovated it ourselves, furniture and supplies were bought for peanuts on the aftermarket. I have not worked out the magical formulae to success (yet), but when I do I swear I'll post here a landscape shot from my seaside bungalow on Tonga Laughing

Seriously: Today, financially speaking, an exhibition which breaks even (covers direct ie production costs) is a successful one. With Helsinki price level gallery businesses are costly ventures that correspondingly charge high exhibitor fees plus commission on sold work. As photographers ourselves, we have no plan to add more greed to feed on a profession and form of artistic expression which today is sadly underappreciated.

What we have created, however, is a photographer lounge with gallery capability, for photographers to display their work against a fee which is within most people's reach.

In Helsinki, free exhibition spaces (cafs, bars etc.) are all the time booked for the next 18 months, and galleries that charge from 2 500 to 8 000 EUR (+ VAT 23%) PLUS sales commission are not accessible even to seriously talented photographers. Gallery rent is not our main source of income, but there is no denying that in times like these every Euro made makes a difference.

So, we combined the forces of three photographers (knowledge and equipment) to create a hybrid space, which is exactly how we want it - transformable, cost and space-efficient. The space is a Raval/Kreuzberg-inspired hybrid lounge/gallery/showroom/open door office, which converts into a studio in no more than 5 minutes. The back room (behind the white curtain) accomodates workspace for post-processing as well as a mini-kitchen and toilet. The space is large enough to enable full-body portraits shot at 85 to ~120mm focal length (on 35mm). Renting studio space for assignments is not a competitive solution in the long run, and our clients have increasingly been assigning work that requires a photo studio.

About the prints: Limited numbers or unique pieces sell best (which doesn't mean they automatically sell well, or at all). I usually display a recommended size and clearly point out that different sizes are available with corresponding price differences. Impossible to give people what they want, because the average person interested in buying wants unique pieces for poster price Confused

Last edited by Esox lucius on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Fhat floor is wild! I love the apparent perspective exaggerations it causes.

Orio wrote:
Looks good - well, maybe a little bit too hypno on the floor for my liking Smile but it's part of the character of the place. Smile

The floor is wild and as such not suitable for a traditional gallery... which we are not: the portrait stuff we shoot and exhibit in the display window starting next week is everything but traditional. It is safe to say we have some very interesting clients dropping by starting this month - more on this later Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the style..
it is cool, simple, only black and white with the one red chair...the colors of the photos really jump out!
and practical and professional looking

SUPER, congratulations again
wish you much success..and fun!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations to your team - as i am running a gallery, i know there is much more behind, than most people imagine. I wish you all the best - stay motivated.
The floor is great - it is art deco / butchers shop hybrid - frees /freeze your brain
...for an event you might just stick transparent BW prints of feets downside onto the white parts...or your logo...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're delighted how well the gallery converts to a studio in 5 minutes.

The girls are members of Kallio Rolling Rainbow roller derby team, of Helsinki

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing funny shot ! Smile

I would suggest to keep the sofa at a distance from the background, to avoid heads cast shadows on it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehemm, you have some spots open I could rent... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I would suggest to keep the sofa at a distance from the background, to avoid heads cast shadows on it.

Orio, you are absolutely right. I picked a photo I never thought would make it, and indeed I would have wanted a softer back-drop. That photo is a making-of-shot which turned out really good thanks to the expressions. We also learned today more news, we need a full-body mirror to complement the gallery space Cool

kds315* wrote:
ehemm, you have some spots open I could rent... Wink Wink

Laughing Klaus, given the attitude our models had I think it's better you ask themselves personally Very Happy

Their names are: Camilla T-Bagger, Cocahontas, Misbitch and Polygamy Winehouse.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
Cocahontas, Misbitch

Gotta love that fashion world Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes