Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

one macro to rule them all... ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

Hello there!

I've been looking for the finest macro lens and done some digging here and there. These are my main candidates:

1) Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 Auto Macro 1:1
2) Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (apparently, this is the - yet again - legendary Tokina-Bokina) Needs an adapter if one wants to get 1:1 reproduction
3) Panagor PMC Auto Macro 90mm f/2.8 (same as the Vivitar 90mm f/2.8?)
4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK
6) Vivitar (Komine) MC 55mm f/2.8 Macro
7) Minolta MD Macro 4/100 (some people say that it's better than both the Tokina-Bokina and the Kiron)
Cool Canon nFD 55mm f/3.5 Macro
9) Canon nFD 100mm f/4 Macro
10) Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 52BB

What are your thoughts? I'd be grateful for any insights.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mesmerized

Well look no farther than the Micro-Nikkors. Search here for examples.

More affordable and in line with your list:

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:4/100, 1:4/50mm
Nikon Nikkor 55/3.5 or 55/2.8

The one I want:
Nikon Micro-Nikkor 200/4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two thoughts.

OP, you're looking in the wrong places. The best macro lenses around weren't made for 35 mm SLRs. Consider, for example, Macro Nikkors (I spelled the name correctly) and Ultra Micro Nikkors.

Klaus, who I salute in passing, will no doubt offer more.

Visualopsins, there are two 200/4 MicroNikkors. The original manual focus 200/4 MicroNikkor AI/AIS and the later 200/4 MicroNikkor AF. I've had two of the old one, still have the second. It is nowhere as good as the contemporary 55/2.8 AI/AIS and 105/2.8 AI/AIS MicroNikkors. The newer AF version is supposed to be much better.

Re the older 200, I shot it against a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II process lens at f/9, f/16 and f/22 @ 1:2, 3 m and 30 m. Same subjects, same time, same emulsion (KM). The process lens won, and handily, at all apertures and distances.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome mesmerized

Thanks for the welcome and your answer! Smile I'll look into Nikkors, but... what do you think about any of those I listed worth going after? I'm asking because some of them are readily available where I an right now.

I'm totally new to the world of legacy lenses. These days, I'm using a Sony A7m3 with the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Two thoughts.

OP, you're looking in the wrong places. The best macro lenses around weren't made for 35 mm SLRs.

Thanks! That's a bit of a shocker for me. I thought that lenses such as the Tokina-Bokina or the Kiron I mentioned were the be-all and end-all as far as macro photography is considered. Initally I was going to go for the Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro, but I don't need AF for macro anyway... (or do I?)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO which goes to 2:1 and Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar Macro which goes to 1:1 for E mount.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Two thoughts.

OP, you're looking in the wrong places. The best macro lenses around weren't made for 35 mm SLRs. Consider, for example, Macro Nikkors (I spelled the name correctly) and Ultra Micro Nikkors.

Klaus, who I salute in passing, will no doubt offer more.

Visualopsins, there are two 200/4 MicroNikkors. The original manual focus 200/4 MicroNikkor AI/AIS and the later 200/4 MicroNikkor AF. I've had two of the old one, still have the second. It is nowhere as good as the contemporary 55/2.8 AI/AIS and 105/2.8 AI/AIS MicroNikkors. The newer AF version is supposed to be much better.

Re the older 200, I shot it against a 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II process lens at f/9, f/16 and f/22 @ 1:2, 3 m and 30 m. Same subjects, same time, same emulsion (KM). The process lens won, and handily, at all apertures and distances.

Thanks, Dan! Sorry, I meant the Printing Nikkors not "Macro Nikkors" of which I can't find any, help please? Yes, the older manual Micro-Nikkor 200/4. I think I want it for its farther distance closeup. Thanks for comparison results with process lens! If your process lens is as big & heavy as mine bringing the subject to the camera is probably easier than hauling lens to subject! lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To learn about Macro Nikkors, visit: https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/index.html

Process lenses' weights vary. My 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II weighs, with front cap, 400 g.

More thoughts.

AF isn't much help working close up. The camera doesn't always choose the plane of best focus that the photographer wants. In the lab I focus the camera (on a stand) manually by adjusting -- slightly -- magnification. In the field I dial in magnification and focus by teetering back and forth. Sounds ridiculous, works very well.

OP, I understand your desire to have equipment that's good enough to use. Thing is, most of the fixed focal length macro lenses for 35 mm still are much better than good enough. It is hard to get a bad one. If I were you, I'd shop on price, condition, and, very important, compatibility with the body I want to use it on.

Agonizing over a few lp/mm in some one's test is a waste. You should focus on technique, not equipment.

Last edited by danfromm on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
[Initally I was going to go for the Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro, but I don't need AF for macro anyway... (or do I?)

No, you don't need AF for macro shooting.

I'm using the Minolta MD 100/4 macro and the Tamron SP AF 90/2.8 (Version 272E) in A-mount both adapted on my A7R II.
Both lenses are highly recommendable and very capable, whereas the Tamron lens is additionally a very fine lens for portraits as well, similar to the Sony original FE lens but for a fraction of the cost (apprx. EUR 200.- used).
If I would have to decide between these two lenses I would go for the Tamron lens for the better versatility.
In terms of sharpness/resolution both lenses offer more than you'll ever need. The Tamron lens needs either the Sony LA-EA4 AF adapter or any dumb one with integrated mechanical aperture control.

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
To learn about Macro Nikkors, visit: https://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/index.html

Process lenses' weights vary. My 210/9 Konica Hexanon GR II weighs, with front cap, 400 g.

Thanks for link! Maybe add it to the thread listing lens information resources? http://forum.mflenses.com/detailed-manual-focus-lens-list-per-brand-question-t81579.html

My process lens W. A. Brown 14-inch F/8 weighs 3 kilos!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
Hello there!

I've been looking for the finest macro lens and done some digging here and there. These are my main candidates:

2) Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 (apparently, this is the - yet again - legendary Tokina-Bokina) Needs an adapter if one wants to get 1:1 reproduction
4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK
7) Minolta MD Macro 4/100 (some people say that it's better than both the Tokina-Bokina and the Kiron)

I think you can at least cross out Komine (Panagor/Vivitar) 90mm f/2.8 first if you are looking for absolute sharpness. Vivitar/Kiron 100mm/105mm are the same lens.
There is a thread on this forum comparing this lens with the Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 and Vivitar/Tokina wins in term of sharpness (slightly).

Tamron 90/f2.5 is on par with Vivitar/Tokina 90mm f/2.5 in my impression. Minolta MD 100mm f/4, I have this lens but never tried yet. No comment to Canon 100mm f/4.

I personally prefer Vivitar/Kiron 100/105mm for its 1:1 macro ratio and overall sharpness. All others (except 90mm/2.Cool need an adapter to to to 1:1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer something a little longer lately, a 180mm at 1:2, but it seems you'd like something in the short-tele range. For that length, if you don't mind the slow speed, a few 80-90mm enlarger lenses are very sharp and nearly apochromatic (possibly not at small reproduction ratios) - chuck them on a bellows and then you already have a well-balanced, affordable setup to use on a tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
danfromm wrote:
Two thoughts.

OP, you're looking in the wrong places. The best macro lenses around weren't made for 35 mm SLRs.

Thanks! That's a bit of a shocker for me. I thought that lenses such as the Tokina-Bokina or the Kiron I mentioned were the be-all and end-all as far as macro photography is considered. Initally I was going to go for the Sony 90mm f/2.8 macro, but I don't need AF for macro anyway... (or do I?)

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS looks suited to your cam

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Sony/Sony-FE-90mm-F28-Macro-G-OSS

https://www.dxomark.com/sony-a7r-ii-best-prime-lenses-review/

or calvin83 recommendations, all modern likely "finer" than film era, but the finest award probably goes to the magnitudes-more-expensive Nikkors. The modern offerings are.likely more versatile than the finest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get absolutely stunning macro images for dirt cheap using enlarger lenses and tubes and helicals. I got an EL nikkor 50mm 2.8 for 12 dollars. If you are only shooting macro with it it is hard to beat bang for buck. As for the absolute best purpose designed the canon EF 65mm 2.8 is supposedly such. It is a modern lens currently available brand new. Its expensive, it is MF only but does go to 5 to 1 magnification and is suitable for macro only. I agree with Dan. Technique is probably much more important than glass. As for multi purpose lens I personally do like the "bokina" Tokina 90mm 2.5. I find it easier to use than the Kiron. The Bokina is a great all around short tele with fantastic IQ. If you are interested in the Kiron a helpful hint is to find a Vivitar with the appropriate serial # starts with 22. It is well known that the Series 1 are the same as the Lester Dine but what is less well known is that their equivalent lens just labeled vivitar (I don't recall the exact labeled FL and aperture but I will look when I get a chance) is actually identical. I'm not sure if this version predated the Series 1 or ran parallel but I had both at one point and compared them side by side and image by image.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really is no such lens. Lest we would all own it! It's really all about what you want out of the lens and your subject matter. I have tried most of those you have listed and as a Nikon shooter, also shoot Nikon's macro lenses. I often use the Nikon AF-S 60mm Micro-Nikkor for products and close-up work. For the medium working distance stuff, like bugs and so forth, I often grab the Vivitar or Tokina 90/2.5. I prefer the rounder aperture of the Vivitar, whereas the Tokina, at f/4 gets a "sawblade" shape in the out of focus highlights. Both are great optical performers though. But again, most of the macro lenses you listed are excellent. Agree with the former poster who said skip the Vivitar 90/2.8 1:1. It's not nearly as fluid to use as the 90mm in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
Hello there!

4) Vivitar 100mm F2,8
5) Kiron 105 mm 2.8 PK

I do own quite a few of those lenses mentioned above, among them the MD4/100, the Kiron 105mm, the nFD 50mm and 100mm, the Tamron, and a Panagor. In addition I've been using many others, such as the AiS 2.8/105, the Nikon AF 2.8/105mm, the Minolta AF 2.8/100, the Hexanon 105mm Bellows, and the MC/MD 3.5/100mm. Among those i prefer the Minolta AF 2.8/100 and the Nikkor AF 2.8/105. The best macro lens i own, however, is the Mamiya Sekor A 4/120mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle here!!

Well, how about the Cosina Voigtlander Macro Apo Lanthar 2.5/125mm ... and never look back! Beats anything else hands down and has a very pleasant bokeh, too. Only the Leica Macro Apo Elarit 2.8/100mm comes close (but has a greenish hint).

Then there are Macro Apo Lathars for mirrorless camera only, the 65mm + 110mm ones, already mentioned by Calvin above.

Other than that, look at my site http://macrolenses.de there you fin plenty more (Thanks Dan, see me waving back at you!)

Have less to spend, then get a good Apo enlarger lens + focusing helicoid, gets outstanding results for less! But a bit clumsy to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A variety of macro lenses demonstrated by mflenses members http://forum.mflenses.com/the-bees-knees-canon-5d-and-m42-smc-macro-takumar-14-100-t67900.html

Another plug for SMC Macro-Takumar 1:4/100 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1279757.html#1279757

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "go-to" macro is my Tamron 90mm #52B. I've owned it since the '80's, with three changes of camera mount, and never really needed anything else Wink

However, a passing experience with a Fujinon 55mm f/3.5 macro convinced me that there can be something to be said for the different perspective given by a shorter focal length. To this end, an N-61L/Z 50mm f/2.8 (aka Industar) in M42 now occupies a space in my bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
danfromm wrote:
Two thoughts.

The Sony 90 is apparently very, very good -

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/05/sony-fe-90mm-f2-8-g-oss-resolution-test/

and other than for financial reasons I'm not sure any older lenses are likely to do better on pure performance. This is not to knock some of the good MF 90s (I have both the Tokina/komine and Vivitar S1 90s, album here) but the Sony seems to be pretty damn nice.

AF is not essential, but very nice to have for macro. TBH I think a lot was written about it being unnecessary from back in the days before CDAF could confirm focus properly at macro effective apertures, and before focus bracketing could get you a nice focus stack of shots to assemble. It's really, really useful for that. Also there will be subjects where you'll basically get 2-3 shots max, can't use bright lights to assist your focus because the flash will be the entire limit of their patience - this set of shots would have been impossible to get with an MF lens.

If you didn't go for the Sony 90, I'd suggest going for something either side of it focal length wise so that if you did eventually buy it you haven't doubled up. I really like the Tamron 180mm F3.5 Macro and the Vivitar 135mm 2.8 Close Focusing. The 135mm only does 1:2 and isn't the world's sharpest lens wide open, but it's nice to use and stays very long with no focus breathing - it's about the same working distance as the Tamron 180 at 1:2. Those two which would be good for cases where 90mm on full frame is still a bit short, but there are lots of nice MF macros around the 50mm length that would still be useful if you went for the Sony 90 later too, which I'll leave to anyone with experience to recommend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot a lot of macro, own all lenses (I may have sold the Rokkor) in your list and then some. My go-to glass is 100L.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very important to consider the the used camera which is "only" 24MP FF. Therefore it doesn't help at all to go for a lens which would eventually perform best on 61MP FF or 24MP APSC or 20MP MFT which all need much higher resolutions, at least in the center.

Lenses like the Sony 90 macro or Voigtländer Apo Lanthar 65 outperform the sensor resolution of the OP's A7 III camera by far which doesn't really make too much sense to pay the extra money for the extra resolution which isn't needed anyway.

I stick to my recommendation: For a low resolution camera like the normal A7 24MP series lenses like the Tamron 272E or the Minolta MD III 100 macro already outperform the sensor resolution considerably. I've used these lenses already on my 24MP FF camera and they are still good enough for my present 42MP FF camera. Maybe not good enough for higher resolution cameras as mentioned before.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 200mm/4 macro, internal focusing, 1:1 magnification ratio without additional tubes or converters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 52B is the best bang for buck. Just use an extension tube for 1:1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
Hello there!

Like written already; your skill, the objects to reproduce, play a role as well. Add to that the magnification needed.

http://coinimaging.com/hall_of_fame.html someone has done quite some work on what is best in specific magnifications for flat metal objects.
Thinking out of the box for macro/micro solutions: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test-2018/2018/10/21/2x-lens-test-line-scan-vs-scanner-lens

I think the Umax Mirage II scanner's shortest lens, approx 75mm 5.6, is as good as my Sigma DG EF 70mm 2.8 and Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 for reproduction of small art drawings etc. No lateral CAs to see. The reason why I put it in a Panagor 135mm 2.8 body + added an EF mount + chip. I have more lenses like that.

The one at the rear.