Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

one macro to rule them all... ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron 90mm macro is a solid lens.
Lester A Dine 105mm macro and variants definitely have something special but they are bulky.
Nikkor 55mm f/2,8 macro is outstanding.

But after trying a bunch of sub 250 $ macro lenses, my favorite one is definitely the Pentax A 50mm f/2,8 macro. It is small, it feels great and it despite beeing a slow 50mm lens, it has a lovely rendering and colors just pop.

I had a very hard time finding it in good conditions for a reasonable price but it was worth it. I think I'll keep mine for a lifetime Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the vivitar 90/2.8, tokina 90/2.5, kiron 105 and minolta 100/4. The vivitar 90/2.8 is not bad but the others are better. I like the tokina the most because its also a great portrait lens. The kiron and minolta are equally good In terms of optical quality, but only as a dedicated macro really. Built quality of the kiron is awesome.

I had a Micro Nikkor 55/2.8 as well which is great and cheap, but not good if you want to approach insects without disturbing them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my Tokina Bokina is just awesome with its sharpness and its great bokeh, there is one cheap little lens I have a soft spot for: The Minolta 50mm f3.5 Macro. While the 50mm focal length is not the most practical, its rendering is somehow really likeable - the photos look somehow pleasing. In my opinion an a bit underrated lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Tamron 52B is the best bang for buck. Just use an extension tube for 1:1

The nFD 4/200mm Macro (toghether with the similar Nikkor Ai 4/200mm Micro) was groundbreaking lens. The nFD, however, has a lot of CAs at least at closer distances. I would not recommend it, even on 24 MP cameras. Vintage 200mm Macro lenses from the 1990 such as the Pentax A 4/200mm Macro or the Minolta AF 4/200mm Macro are much better.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Tamron 52B is the best bang for buck. Just use an extension tube for 1:1

I did manage to find these:

Tamron SP 52BB for about 165USD (without the Tamron 18F extension tube)
AD2 Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 MACRO 1:1 72B for around 160USD

Since they are priced similarly here, I suppose the questions are:

1) Is there any good replacement for that extension tube?
2) Is the 72B much worse than the 52BB?

No idea what the going price for those should be, but those two seem to be in a pretty good condition overall.

EDIT: I've also found the 52B version. Not sure how it differs from the 52BB but it seems to be pretty battered.

Last edited by mesmerized on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the 72B. You can use any old extension tube I guess. You can also use the Tamron SP 2X tele-converter #01F for 1:1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: one macro to rule them all... ? Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:
mesmerized wrote:
Hello there!

I've been looking for the finest macro lens and done some digging here and there. These are my main candidates:

What are your thoughts? I'd be grateful for any insights.

Like written already; your skill, the objects to reproduce, play a role as well. Add to that the magnification needed.

http://coinimaging.com/hall_of_fame.html someone has done quite some work on what is best in specific magnifications for flat metal objects.
Thinking out of the box for macro/micro solutions: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test-2018/2018/10/21/2x-lens-test-line-scan-vs-scanner-lens

I think the Umax Mirage II scanner's shortest lens, approx 75mm 5.6, is as good as my Sigma DG EF 70mm 2.8 and Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 for reproduction of small art drawings etc. No lateral CAs to see. The reason why I put it in a Panagor 135mm 2.8 body + added an EF mount + chip. I have more lenses like that.
The one at the rear.

Ernst Dinkla, I could not help but notice you have had quite some success with 3D printing of fittings! How is the square shaped lens shade on the recessed Canon lens working out?

Fine. I try to get them as tight as possible so they may even add a bit extra vignetting set wide open at infinity. Anyway that lens on an FF sensor has already some vignetting and smear in the corners and should be used accordingly. The Yashinon is better though. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60839667

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72B is pretty much as good if not better than the 52B/BB, usually goes for up to double the price so that's a good price there...
You can also find AF versions of the 72B.

The 52B/BB are optically the same but the feel and handling are pretty different. The 52B is a chunkyish metal lens, tends to have firm handing/feel of the focus. The later plastic 52BB has an all round lighter feel/touch. Something to watch out for with the latter: lazy iris (doesn't stop down reliably).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
72B is pretty much as good if not better than the 52B/BB, usually goes for up to double the price so that's a good price there...
You can also find AF versions of the 72B.

The 52B/BB are optically the same but the feel and handling are pretty different. The 52B is a chunkyish metal lens, tends to have firm handing/feel of the focus. The later plastic 52BB has an all round lighter feel/touch. Something to watch out for with the latter: lazy iris (doesn't stop down reliably).

That's good to know!

My biggest gripe with the 52BB is that eventually I'd have to find one of those Tamron extension tubes/adapters to get 1:1 reproducition...

Hmm, sounds like the 72B might be my final pick. Not a whole lot of information about this lens, though. From what I've found, it's also a much newer lens (production started in 1996 as far as I know).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the lens and adapter for your camera you can use the Extention tube for your camera mount for 1:1. Your camera extension tube provide more magnification options too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to negotiate a better price on the Tamron SP 90mm 72b (from 160USD to 135USD) and it seems to be the best option at this point. The Tokina Bokina I've found here is 380USD and the 52bb doesn't give me the 1:1 reproduction, so... there's that. Thank you all for your advice!

I just hope this Tamron can also be used for portraits and landcapes. Any reasons why it wouldn't be?

Now... since it will be my first time with macro photography - what else do I need asap? Is a flash unit absolutely necessary?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron SP 90/2.8 72b is the early version of the still available 272e and should be optically more of less the same.
It's a great all purpose lens with great bokeh, excellent sharpness and macro up to 1:1 all in one. I'm using the 272e which is in fact not very expensive as well; i.e. I would spend apprx. 50 bucks more for an almost new one in your situation.

However, it's perfectly usable for landscapes and portraits as well.

It all depends on your planned targets whether you'll need a flash or not. If you plan to shoot insects or alike then a flash is strongly recommended. Non moving targets may be shot on tripod as well. You must have very good skills to shoot 1:1 free hand without flash. However, it's not impossible.

I prefer to use special ring- and macro-flashes for moving targets and up to 3 off camera flashes for the rest. However, as a start a bounce flash will do it as well.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The Tamron SP 90/2.8 72b is the early version of the still available 272e and should be optically more of less the same.
It's a great all purpose lens with great bokeh, excellent sharpness and macro up to 1:1 all in one. I'm using the 272e which is in fact not very expensive as well; i.e. I would spend apprx. 50 bucks more for an almost new one in your situation.

However, it's perfectly usable for landscapes and portraits as well.

It all depends on your planned targets whether you'll need a flash or not. If you plan to shoot insects or alike then a flash is strongly recommended. Non moving targets may be shot on tripod as well. You must have very good skills to shoot 1:1 free hand without flash. However, it's not impossible.

I prefer to use special ring- and macro-flashes for moving targets and up to 3 off camera flashes for the rest. However, as a start a bounce flash will do it as well.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot tb_a! Like 1 small

One quick question - would you say that 135USD is a decent price for this lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
One quick question - would you say that 135USD is a decent price for this lens?

Hard to say. If it's still in a good shape most probably yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I've found about macro lenses is everyone seems to have a favorite. And I think that happens easily because many, if not most, macro lenses are very, very sharp. Yes, I have personal favorites, but the thing is, I must own -- I dunno, I've lost count -- probably 8 or 9 different macro lenses, and honestly, they're all great lenses. But if I had to choose favorites, I still couldn't narrow it down to one. I'd probably go with the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.5 (either flavor) and the Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AIs Micro-Nikkor. Both are critically sharp lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesmerized wrote:
I've managed to negotiate a better price on the Tamron SP 90mm 72b (from 160USD to 135USD) and it seems to be the best option at this point. The Tokina Bokina I've found here is 380USD and the 52bb doesn't give me the 1:1 reproduction, so... there's that. Thank you all for your advice!

I just hope this Tamron can also be used for portraits and landcapes. Any reasons why it wouldn't be?

Now... since it will be my first time with macro photography - what else do I need asap? Is a flash unit absolutely necessary?

It depends - without a macro flash setup you'll be shooting at lower numeric apertures, and natural light can be a pain to work with - too bright and a lot of compound eyes will start to look hexagonal and lack detail, and specular surfaces will be at full bright 255. Too overcast and you will need to raise ISO or take even thinner slices at even lower apertures.

Maybe best to break it down like this: several hours doodling on and off will make this in natural light:

common white by PIG, on Flickr

vs a similar timeframe to make this with a flash setup:

caper white butterfly close up by PIG, on Flickr

A one-er with natural light will get you something like this :

white migrant drinking nectar from statice by PIG, on Flickr

whereas a one-shot with flash will give you this:

cross polarised yelllow butterfly by PIG, on Flickr

If you want to take photos of very small bugs - ladybirds, ants, small jumping spiders, let's say most things under 2 or 1cm total size, I'd really recommend a flash, because it can be very difficult to shoot those in natural light without self-shadowing. Not that it can't be done, but it's going to be rough even with good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming at it from a different angle. I thought I needed a macro lens and have had many pass through my hands, mainly 55-90mm. What I realised was: big, heavy and unbalanced on my Fuji and Sony and the most important point, I didn’t actually use them that much. So now I just use extension tubes with either Konica 100 & 135mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
Coming at it from a different angle. I thought I needed a macro lens and have had many pass through my hands, mainly 55-90mm. What I realised was: big, heavy and unbalanced on my Fuji and Sony and the most important point, I didn’t actually use them that much. So now I just use extension tubes with either Konica 100 & 135mm.

That's indeed a very good alternative. I'm using extension tubes quite often. Very easy to have them always in the pockets instead of carrying always a dedicated macro lens.
In fact I've done more great macro pictures with extension tube combinations than with dedicated macro lenses. Wink