Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One lens to rule them all
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
An interesting thought experiment. When asked for a favorite lens, invariably I also think of a favorite camera that I would use it with. And if I were limited to just a single lens, I would want one that has proven itself to me to be a winner in a variety of settings. And what I keep coming up with is not just a lens. It is a camera. Simply because the lens in this camera is not interchangeable.

So, it would be a Zeiss Super Ikonta B with the coated 80mm f/2.8 Opton Tessar in a Synchro Compur shutter. My favorite Pocket Hasselblad.

I prefer the square format of the "B" because I don't have to worry about recomposing for verticals and I don't have to think about cropping unless I really want to -- I like square photos.

I have this camera and lens in very good condition. I've been too time limited to try it out though. Your pics are very encouraging I must say.
Are they hard to learn to use well? What film do you use?

Sorry, I missed your response. No, the Super Ikonta is not hard to learn how to use. It typically has a very good rangefinder, part of which rests on the lens standard and part of which is internal to the camera. The only thing I'd recommend that you make sure works properly is for the lens's focusing ring to turn smoothly. Sometimes, with the advancement of age, the grease in the helicals can become the consisitency of wax and will need to be replaced. The Super Ikonta BX (which I've owned) comes with a selinium cell meter, which may or may not work. I've owned a BX and its meter didn't work. Not a problem, I just carry a good quality hand-held light meter when I've been out and about with that camera.

As for film, I've used most any medium format film I can get my hands on. Tri-X and Fujichrome Provia are two of my favorites. I also like Kodak Portra a lot. I prefer Portra 160, but 400 is excellent as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to pick one fixed prime lens it would be my Canon TS-E 24mm, which is an awesome lens. I'd like to be able to pack a 1.4x Extender with it too, but I guess that's not allowed...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
rudolfkremers wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
An interesting thought experiment. When asked for a favorite lens, invariably I also think of a favorite camera that I would use it with. And if I were limited to just a single lens, I would want one that has proven itself to me to be a winner in a variety of settings. And what I keep coming up with is not just a lens. It is a camera. Simply because the lens in this camera is not interchangeable.

So, it would be a Zeiss Super Ikonta B with the coated 80mm f/2.8 Opton Tessar in a Synchro Compur shutter. My favorite Pocket Hasselblad.

I prefer the square format of the "B" because I don't have to worry about recomposing for verticals and I don't have to think about cropping unless I really want to -- I like square photos.

I have this camera and lens in very good condition. I've been too time limited to try it out though. Your pics are very encouraging I must say.
Are they hard to learn to use well? What film do you use?

Sorry, I missed your response. No, the Super Ikonta is not hard to learn how to use. It typically has a very good rangefinder, part of which rests on the lens standard and part of which is internal to the camera. The only thing I'd recommend that you make sure works properly is for the lens's focusing ring to turn smoothly. Sometimes, with the advancement of age, the grease in the helicals can become the consisitency of wax and will need to be replaced. The Super Ikonta BX (which I've owned) comes with a selinium cell meter, which may or may not work. I've owned a BX and its meter didn't work. Not a problem, I just carry a good quality hand-held light meter when I've been out and about with that camera.

As for film, I've used most any medium format film I can get my hands on. Tri-X and Fujichrome Provia are two of my favorites. I also like Kodak Portra a lot. I prefer Portra 160, but 400 is excellent as well.

I should get the camera back from the repair shop next week or so. Pretty excited and bought some portrait 400 in anticipation Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
If I had to pick one fixed prime lens it would be my Canon TS-E 24mm, which is an awesome lens. I'd like to be able to pack a 1.4x Extender with it too, but I guess that's not allowed...

Why not? This is all just a mind game anyway. Besides, a teleconverter is not unlike a filter to a lens -- it's not a standalone lens, just a supplement to one.

rudolfkremers wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

I should get the camera back from the repair shop next week or so. Pretty excited and bought some portrait 400 in anticipation Smile

Wait till you see the photos that Super Ikonta provides. It's a great camera.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 200-500mm F2.8 APO EX DG ? http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/200-500mm-f28-apo-ex-dg

found at jsmoral.com

:0)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms.... of something that is actually good. lol.

As cool as a Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM is ......... Or even the canon 200mm 1.8..

The Carl Zeiss' 50mm Planar f/0.70? hmm

I would love to have the Canon S-type 50mm f/0.95... or the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/.95. if I had to pick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
perhaps Distagon 35mm 1.4 Smile

this would be my choice too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
In terms.... of something that is actually good. lol.

As cool as a Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM is ......... Or even the canon 200mm 1.8..

The Carl Zeiss' 50mm Planar f/0.70? hmm

I would love to have the Canon S-type 50mm f/0.95... or the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/.95. if I had to pick.

Yup, those are all primo fast lenses. Also the Canon 85mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical and later L series.

You know, that Sigma zoom reminds me of another old Canon classic that is pretty rare these days: the FD 150-600mm f/5.6. Not nearly as fast as the Sigma, but it was the first super-zoom of this type, far as I know. I remember seeing all those Canon ads in National Geographic magazine back in the 1980s, where this lens was displayed. Back then, the lens could be bought for a few thousand bucks. Now, its value is up there with that Sigma's, if not higher.