Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One lens to rule them all
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one:

Dead Stand by unoh7, on Flickr

L1000529-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko penF 42/1,2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The lens installed in our eye. Single element but works well after software correction. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing and we have two of them in better cases!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one lens.... That's a tough one for someone with LBA....
Well I'll try to narrow it down some, my top 3:
Rokkor MC PG 58/1.2 (fast, love the rendering, and suitable for landscapes)
Canon FD SSC 35/2.8 Tilt/Shift (beautiful rendering, resolution of a macro, and movements other lenses only dream of)
Leica R 60 (sharp wide open from 2:1 to infinity, it can do Macros, Portraits, and landscapes)

Now to pick one...
This is tougher then I expected.
The Rokkor I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought experiment. When asked for a favorite lens, invariably I also think of a favorite camera that I would use it with. And if I were limited to just a single lens, I would want one that has proven itself to me to be a winner in a variety of settings. And what I keep coming up with is not just a lens. It is a camera. Simply because the lens in this camera is not interchangeable.

So, it would be a Zeiss Super Ikonta B with the coated 80mm f/2.8 Opton Tessar in a Synchro Compur shutter. My favorite Pocket Hasselblad.

I prefer the square format of the "B" because I don't have to worry about recomposing for verticals and I don't have to think about cropping unless I really want to -- I like square photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Pentax DSLR - Pentax (K) 24/2.8 or more likely the AF Pentax kit 18-55
Yeah, theres a reason its the kit lens, and to tell the truth for 95% of anything I would want to use it for its perfectly fine. It would be more about taking pictures than gear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say my Canon 20-35L f3.5 fd, wide enough for landscape at 20mm and street photography at 35mm end ff, and if I put it on a crop sensor I can get away with portraits.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with my Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4. I get surprised everytime by what this thing can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting read which appears to be relative to this discussion... http://petapixel.com/2015/01/22/gear-avoidance-syndrome-might-healthy-photography/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50/0.75 or other, close related both in mm and F number Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
An interesting thought experiment. When asked for a favorite lens, invariably I also think of a favorite camera that I would use it with. And if I were limited to just a single lens, I would want one that has proven itself to me to be a winner in a variety of settings. And what I keep coming up with is not just a lens. It is a camera. Simply because the lens in this camera is not interchangeable.

So, it would be a Zeiss Super Ikonta B with the coated 80mm f/2.8 Opton Tessar in a Synchro Compur shutter. My favorite Pocket Hasselblad.

I prefer the square format of the "B" because I don't have to worry about recomposing for verticals and I don't have to think about cropping unless I really want to -- I like square photos.

I have this camera and lens in very good condition. I've been too time limited to try it out though. Your pics are very encouraging I must say.
Are they hard to learn to use well? What film do you use?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar 50-2

/thread closed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 50-500 "Bigma". At my body size it is not too heavy or bulky to carry all day. Macros are a trial but it does everything else you could want.

Last edited by Big Dawg on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens that i don't have but would give all my lenses for:
Canon 50mm F/0.95

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 35-70/3.4 C/Y

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Master zoom 16,5-110mm T2.6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
On Pentax DSLR - Pentax (K) 24/2.8 or more likely the AF Pentax kit 18-55
Yeah, theres a reason its the kit lens, and to tell the truth for 95% of anything I would want to use it for its perfectly fine. It would be more about taking pictures than gear.

One taken with the Pentax 18-55 kit lens. My Granddaughter Reagan.

I do not think you can get better than this. I know I can't. I use this lens and the 50-500 Bigma to cover from 18mm to 500 mm and everything in between.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful image, Mr Dawg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary!

So many turn their noses up at the mention of a Kit lens but I have found these lens can perform very well indeed.

And they do not cost a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, Big Dawg! Those eyes! What a beauty. She is probably breaking hearts already. The luminosity of this image is just stunning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the best it gets Bigdawg, what an enchanting little face Smile

Great shot of a little angel that all grandads like me will absolutly love Smile

Steve. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot this a few years back and haven't done better since. But I keep trying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Big Dawg.
It just goes to show how good modern lens design is when a kit lens like this can produce such outstanding results.
It is not just the sharpness but the beautiful creamy bokeh that impresses.
Five stars from me
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image is striking, but unless I'm mistaken, there is some post-processing going on there as well, so some of the technical qualities might not be attributable to the lens?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps Distagon 35mm 1.4 Smile