Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

On a Topcor kick lately. . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: On a Topcor kick lately. . . Reply with quote

All taken with Topcor 135/3.5 on Canon 6D

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lens, excellent photographer! Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! The topcon re 135mm 3.5 is one of the best bang for bucks lenses. Currently 50ish for a good example. I really like topcon glass.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some seriously good pictures! Not easy with an old mf lens!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Good lens, excellent photographer! Like 1

Fully agree.
Well done
Tom Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. I do love a challenge and am very patient. I’m more interested in showing off the capabilities of good old glass than my own. As you may have gathered I’m not a collector/technician/historian, just a dumb shooter with a fondness for the goodies of yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of Topcor lenses, I think I'm at around 15 lenses, I really wish they still made lenses.
My only complaint is I wish your pics were bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love #5. Woah Like 1 .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really beautiful shots! Great work!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent... did you do anything particular to get the hummingbird pics?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, frenched!

I don't have any Topcors, but I'm interested in them because I really like the Exakta mount in general.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
did you do anything particular to get the hummingbird pics?

Oh yes. The absolute basics:

1. Install hummingbird feeder or attractive flowers (salvia) early in the season and wait for them to show up.
2. Watch and learn their feeding behavior.
3. You need remote flash triggers and remote camera trigger.
4. Set up camera on tripod and pre-focus at a point you think you’ll catch them.
5. Set up flash on light stand about 45 degrees to camera and above. Set to TTL.
6. Go hide somewhere and wait.

In my case I had this set up on my backyard deck. Installed the Canon WiFi camera control app on my iPhone/iPad. From the air-conditioned comfort of my home, I’d fire off some shots from the phone/iPad when I saw a hummer buzzing around. Might take a weekend to get a few keepers. That’s the lazy man’s approach.

Some say the more flashes the better, as many as four. Better chance of stopping the wing blur.

And as I said, patience. . . ✌️

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
I don't have any Topcors, but I'm interested in them because I really like the Exakta mount in general.

I see Topcors in your future. 😊

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
marcusBMG wrote:
did you do anything particular to get the hummingbird pics?

Oh yes. The absolute basics:

1. Install hummingbird feeder or attractive flowers (salvia) early in the season and wait for them to show up.
2. Watch and learn their feeding behavior.
3. You need remote flash triggers and remote camera trigger.
4. Set up camera on tripod and pre-focus at a point you think you’ll catch them.
5. Set up flash on light stand about 45 degrees to camera and above. Set to TTL.
6. Go hide somewhere and wait.

In my case I had this set up on my backyard deck. Installed the Canon WiFi camera control app on my iPhone/iPad. From the air-conditioned comfort of my home, I’d fire off some shots from the phone/iPad when I saw a hummer buzzing around. Might take a weekend to get a few keepers. That’s the lazy man’s approach.

Some say the more flashes the better, as many as four. Better chance of stopping the wing blur.

And as I said, patience. . . ✌️

Thanks for sharing. Really really nice pics...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
Great pics, frenched!

+1 Topcors will be in your future.
Just watch for cracked rubber focus rings
The UV Topcor have a different mount.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Topcor lenses, I think I'm at around 15 lenses, I really wish they still made lenses.
My only complaint is I wish your pics were bigger.

If they would still make lenses nowadays, would bet for a different pocket customers , just like the old times..... Owning some of zeiss lenses , I'm still impressed playing around with the 58 1.4 (about a month waiting for the adapter....mmm), these lenses were made to last,my copy is in excellent condition even though its got a huge amount of glass in it (more than other 50's I've got) . Buying cheap topcor nowadays is almost impossible,just like Leica, Zeiss and others....but they're definitely worth every penny.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually some real value deals on ebay are still available for Topcor lenses. The 35mm 2.8 maybe 75 -80 dollars. The 58 1.8 in that same range.The 100 2.8 around a 100. The 135 as I said is still quite reasonable. the 300mm is also available sometimes for not too much. A bit more expensive for the 28mm and the 58mm 3..5 macro. Quite a bit more for the 25mm and 58mm 1.4 and WAY more for the 20 f4 and the 85mm 1.8. I have most of these except the 25mm 20mm and the 85mm. Actually several copies of the more common ones as a speculation that they will increase in value in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
The 100 2.8 around a 100.

If someone is willing to part with their 100/2.8 for this price and ship it internationally, ya'll can call me 3 o'clock in the morning Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a 100/2.8 with broken aperature on eBay. Starting bid 9.95USD. I know a few here would snap it up. Smile

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokyo-Kogaku-10cm-F2-8-Auto-Topcor-Lens-FOR-PARTS-SOLD-AS-IS/303087424403?hash=item46916b1393:g:ox4AAOSw6xVcgGfn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely nice pics! Great technique on a really technically challenging subject. It has been my experience that Topcor lenses shoot as good as they look. Except for the 300mm, mine are all of the silver variety - instantly recognizable.

Best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more since people seem to like them. . .

@f/5.6 1/100 ISO 320

@f/8 1/1250 ISO 200

@f/8 1/160 ISO 100 with speedlight

@f/16 with studio strobes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
I see Topcors in your future. 😊

Cool

I love 100mm lenses for some reason, so that 100 2.8 appeals to me.

I also have birds in my backyard and I've been meaning to set up a pre-focused photo ambush.

I've noticed that hummingbirds are quite daring and not shy at all, presumably because they're convinced you can't possibly catch them,which is probably true.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Topcors, I have 2 RE Auto 135mm, a 50mm GN, a 35mm, a 20mm & a 28mm. Sadly the rear element on my 28mm is badly marked. If anyone has a damaged 28mm with a good rear element I would love to hear from them. Or if anyone needs a 135mm & would like to swap for a Topcor
I don’t have let me know.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry gang, I dug up this old thread because I miss my Topcors. For some reason I gave them up and it was a dumb idea. These days I use modern Zeiss glass in the studio — and they are superb. But years of real-world shooting has proven the old Topcors still gives the new Zeiss stuff a run for the money. Don’t know the market for them, but if you can find some RE’s at a good price then pick them up and never let them go.