Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Pen FT Problems & Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Olympus Pen FT Problems & Repairs Reply with quote

I have recently acquired an Olympus Pen FT, and aside from a touch of fungus in the 38/1.8 lens and a chipped viewfinder surround, it is in very good cosmetic condition. Surprised

Unfortunately, it is not an operational camera. Sad The advance lever will only move a short distance from the body, and then it will not move any more. The mirror is stuck in the sideways position, and will not return to its 45-degree position. The shutter will not fire. Sad

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem, or where to start with the repair? I suspect the problems are related, but I have never opened up a Pen FT before...

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help ....copied from camerapedia
Quote:
The Pen FT also introduced a single-stroke advance with a longer wind lever, and a self-timer. The latter has a large lever at the front where the gothic F on the first model was placed. The release button is at the hub of the self-timer lever.

Some more repair stuff
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/penfttips.html
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mo.

Interestingly, the self timer works great! There is also a small spring loaded lever at the base of the lens mount, which will latch if I press it to the right, and spring back to the left if the shutter button is pressed or the self-timer is run.

That page from kyphoto has some great tips. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update- I have managed to free the stuck mechanism! Surprised

I removed the bottom cover and started poking around. It turns out that the advance lever wasn't "jammed", it was just that the camera was already wound but the mechanism was gummed up preventing the shutter from firing. So the lever not advancing was just a symptom, not the problem. Wink

To anyone else who encounters this problem, the way to fire the shutter more directly is to remove the bottom cover, then look for the little black linkage with a z-shaped kink in it. It's not the big flat one in the center, but the one along the side - you are looking at the edge of it. Just nudge this to the side gently with a small screwdriver, and the shutter will fire. Cool

In my case, I could only get the shutter to fire at the faster speeds (120 and above), and for the first 20-30 actuations, I would have to nudge this linkage each time. After this, I could get it to work normally via the shutter release button on the top, but it would still hang up on slower speeds... again requiring the screwdriver nudge on the bottom. Neutral Gradually, after dozens of advance/release cycles, I was able to step down to lower and lower speeds without it hanging up. I don't know how many cycles it took (several hundred? Shocked), but I can now get it to fire at all speeds except 1-second. The 1-second will not always go, but I can make it un-stick by turning the shutter speed dial to 1/16, so I don't need the bottom cover open anymore.

I suspect that the mechanism is just gummed up, either from lack of use, dust, or from hardening or evaporation of the lubricants. The camera was serviced at one point (it has a service sticker inside the back cover), so a repair person could have even used the wrong type of lubricant. If you listen to the slower speeds (such as 1/8 or 1/4), you can clearly hear that the duration is not consistent between shots, sometimes by as much as 2x the intended duration. So while it technically "works", I still have some work to do. Wink

Now, it is just a matter of figuring out what to clean and what to lubricate... and what is just better off left alone. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so happy for you - and for such a nice camera to be back in service.

I grew up and learned real photography & darkroom with a Pen FT. I miss that camera.

I have a manual for it, if you wish I can scan it in... I have a few pages already scanned on flickr:
PEN FT Component parts by Nesster, on Flickr
pen FT lenses 1 by Nesster, on Flickr
pen FT accessories by Nesster, on Flickr
pen FT lenses by Nesster, on Flickr

these are available pretty damn big on the 'all sizes' option on flicr Wink

Good luck with your FT and I'm eager to hear of your experiences & see photos!