Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Pen F 38mm f1.8 on Fujifilm X-E1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos and subject! Farm land.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a recent image from this lens.
Taken near my home just on dusk
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 nice lens it is indeed!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shots, Thomas, as always!

Every time I am impressed by the extreme care you manage not only to chose the shots to present but, before that, to process them. I imagine, each shot takes you at least a couple of minutes to find the optimal rendering, like in the film era when processing was an art in itself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Wonderful shots, Thomas, as always!

Every time I am impressed by the extreme care you manage not only to chose the shots to present but, before that, to process them. I imagine, each shot takes you at least a couple of minutes to find the optimal rendering, like in the film era when processing was an art in itself.

Thank you Klaus, uddhava and Alex,
Yes Alex, with digital images I shoot RAW so some processing is always needed.
I appreciate your kind words
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be an awesome little lens!Love picture #2 btw!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work. I believe it was your advice when I queried re good lenses for the nex 5n that pointed me to the pen f lenses. Just amazing little gems. I have since acquired several including the 38 1.8 but also the 40 1.4 the 25mm f4 and even the 20mm, and 2 different zooms. The form factor match to the NEX is uncanny.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He everyone!
I just received an F.Zuiko 38mm f1.8 and attached it to a Pixco Pen F to Fuji X adapter to my X-E1. When I tried to change the aperture, I realised that it just stays in the wide open position despite me turning the aperture ring and can just be stopped down with one of the two buttons on the lens barrel. Now I'm trying to find out if this was the way the Pen F used to work or if my lens is faulty. It seems strange to have to hold down the button every time I want to use a smaller aperture than wide open... Any ideas/input would be highly appreciated!
Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milen wrote:
He everyone!
I just received an F.Zuiko 38mm f1.8 and attached it to a Pixco Pen F to Fuji X adapter to my X-E1. When I tried to change the aperture, I realised that it just stays in the wide open position despite me turning the aperture ring and can just be stopped down with one of the two buttons on the lens barrel. Now I'm trying to find out if this was the way the Pen F used to work or if my lens is faulty. It seems strange to have to hold down the button every time I want to use a smaller aperture than wide open... Any ideas/input would be highly appreciated!
Cheers!

Hi milen,
Is it mounted correctly on the adapter?
The aperture should open and close as the front aperture ring rotates
Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
milen wrote:
He everyone!
Cheers!

Hi milen,
Tom

There should be a tab on the adapter that pushes the aperture lever on the lens as it's mounted, this makes the aperture always stop down to the aperture ring setting.

FYI the aperture ring has 2 different numbering systems f number (1.8, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16) and light meter numbers (0-6) on the 38/1.8(as an example).
http://cjo.info/classic-cameras/olympus-pen-f-series/
Quote:
Lenses made after the introduction of the Pen FT have an aperture ring with light meter numbers on one side and F numbers on the other. The aperture ring can be turned all the way around so either the light meter numbers or F stops are on top of the lens. This system was claimed to be easier to understand then obscure F stop numbers, which tend to confuse beginners. But to be honest it is a rather slow and cumbersome to use in practice!

Just pull lightly on the aperture ring towards the lens' front and turn past the last number, then there is no need to pull, just continue turning till the ring drops in.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
milen wrote:
He everyone!
Cheers!

Hi milen,
Tom

There should be a tab on the adapter that pushes the aperture lever on the lens as it's mounted, this makes the aperture always stop down to the aperture ring setting.

FYI the aperture ring has 2 different numbering systems f number (1.8, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16) and light meter numbers (0-6) on the 38/1.8(as an example).
http://cjo.info/classic-cameras/olympus-pen-f-series/
Quote:
Lenses made after the introduction of the Pen FT have an aperture ring with light meter numbers on one side and F numbers on the other. The aperture ring can be turned all the way around so either the light meter numbers or F stops are on top of the lens. This system was claimed to be easier to understand then obscure F stop numbers, which tend to confuse beginners. But to be honest it is a rather slow and cumbersome to use in practice!

Just pull lightly on the aperture ring towards the lens' front and turn past the last number, then there is no need to pull, just continue turning till the ring drops in.

Yes, I have a 100mm Pen-F lens with this double marking feature on the aperture ring, but my 1.8/38 has only the f-stops marked and is not adjustably interchangeable like yours.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 nice results!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Like 1 nice results!

Thanks Lars.
I don't have a favourite lens, but if I had to choose one, it would be this.
Tom