Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 50mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

A hidden gem really, if you take a look on Ebay as usual price is going very cheap, this lens is super super sharp at every aperture. Superb from every aspects. You able to use on Canon, Olympus with cheap OM adapter. Put into Google and see reviews as usual you read many,many positive reviews.
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Olympus_Om/olympus_om_50mm_f1_8/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM 50/1.8 vs OM 50/1.4

which one is better, sharper...???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great lenses , they have minimal quality difference. 1.4 slightly better.

http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/269/29/
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Olympus_Om/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens. and Yes, its gem....
Sorry part is, I lost my EOS->Oly adapter.

Once I tested this lens Nikon Series E 50mm f1.8, and wide open, Nikon looked just crap...
Lost adapter, cant use this lens...
Had compared with Oly, cant think of using Nikon
Evil or Very Mad Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about Series E I didn't take any of them because E is cheap plastic series and this time almost all Nikkor lenses are pretty cheap.

I tested Nikkor 50mm f2 AI , Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Non_AI and Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS all are superb good as or better than Zuikos. I suppose your have negative opinion because your tested the cheapest and perhaps worst Nikkor 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I have no idea about Series E I didn't take any of them because E is cheap plastic series and this time almost all Nikkor lenses are pretty cheap.

I tested Nikkor 50mm f2 AI , Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Non_AI and Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS all are superb good as or better than Zuikos. I suppose your have negative opinion because your tested the cheapest and perhaps worst Nikkor 50mm lens.

Yes... Series E is cheaper line... But some are really good. 28mm and 100mm in Series E line up are superb lenses. I own 100mm f2.8 lens too, winner....

Even Series E 50mm is not that bad, much better than most of modern paperweights.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Yes... Series E is cheaper line... But some are really good. 28mm and 100mm in Series E line up are superb lenses.

I agree. I have both and they are excellent.
Let's not forget that in most cases, the optical difference between the Series E and the normal AI lenses is only in the coating (single for the Series E).

I think that your copy of the 50mm series E was faulty, Ballu. I used to have that lens, too, before it was stolen from me, and it was a very good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is same story than Tamon SP and Tamron lenses both are very cheap and very good at this time, but SP is better. Why I buy Tamron for $20 less than Tamron SP ? This is my opinion about E series I beleive some of them are good , but a bit more I can buy quality built Nikkors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is my opinion about E series I beleive some of them are good , but a bit more I can buy quality built Nikkors.

It depends on which lens. For instance the difference in price between the 2.8/28 Series E and the same lens as normal AI is usually not small.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Need to decide in every case, what is the best and we have different point of view about lenses. For example I have a Takumar 85mm f1.8 what is a rare and quiet expensive lens in it's category and I like so cheap Pentacon 100 and 135mm better. These old lenses like art, every people have different opinion from same subject. This is the greatest thing in old lenses they have thousands faces Smile. I have almost every Russian lenses , I know they are great really and I not shoot with them at all.In every month I have different favorites this is also a great thing keep my mind busy about new lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, everyone has to find the instrument that fits best his style. It's like with playing, every person who plays an instrument has a preference for this or that sound, one sax player cherishes the smooth deep sound of the Selmer saxophone, another one raves about the guts of the Yamaha.
With lenses is more subtle, but basically it's the same. Everyone has to find the right lenses for him.
Cartier-Bresson was continuously offered new lens and camera models for endorsement, but he kept photographing with his old rangefinder and the same 50mm lens for all his life. And he didn't make many bad photographs I think Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile