Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 135mm f2.8 with damaged front element
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM 135mm f2.8 with damaged front element Reply with quote

I got this lens from a flea market for 2$. It was in terrible shape, came in 3 parts. Aperture and focus didn't work, screws were missing, dirt everywhere. Somehow I managed to clean it and actually put it back together. The aparture ring doesn't have click stops now, but I can live with that. The unfortunate thing is that the front element is completely scratched, like someone tried to clean it with steel wool or something. I gave the lens a chance anyway and below are the results, Shots are all F2.8 and I have just compensated exposure a bit (as the a6000 often underexposes). I think the result is not too bad however images could benefit from a contrast boost.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have done a super job with those images, !Karen, damaged lens or not!

When it comes to (MF) lenses there exist two varieties: work horses and show horses.

Mere element damage does not necessarily disqualify a lens from being an excellent work horse:

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

This is something you have proven beyond any doubt!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2$ ? you've got a bargain. Great pictures, any loss of contrast is easily fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda want to see the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the damage you're referring to looks like, but I am not sure how you could improve on those images. Olympus lenses are tough to take apart and reassemble. Excellent work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ guardian: that article you linked to was interesting to read, thanks! Very Happy

and as per request, here is an image of the lens:

photo of front, it is covered in scratches and dots/points like this: