Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus E3 VS Canon 1D Mark III
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Olympus E3 VS Canon 1D Mark III Reply with quote

http://www.four-thirds.cn/forum/thread-64092-1-1.html

and some English comments here

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=340875

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting but not particularly conclusive. For me one of the great obstacles to the Oly (including my present E300) is the 2x factor. Probably because I am used to my 1.5x from the nikkor. But the Oly does seem to be able to resolve pretty well. The colours are for me on the saturated side - and I already think Canon tends to saturate.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
nd I already think Canon tends to saturate.
patrickh

Patrick, Canon has 7 levels of in-camera saturation. I leave mine on "standard" as I want it to interfere less as possible with the lens, but you can set it to +3 or -3, or even monochromatic if you want "true" B&W.

Of course this all makes sense only for JPG shooting - as for raw you can decide any setting after wards.

-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only shoot RAW with both the nikons and the Oly. I find that this provides more detail as well as more control. Cannot get over the hurdle that jpg is a lossy compression. Plus the declining cost of storage....

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I had the oportunity to play a little with an E3 and talk to an expert guy (who was testing it), and seen that this is a very interesting camera. I was shocked when I saw the viewfinder. It's bigger than my 30D's! And it's clear and bright. Well you may say that this is a pro camera, but it has a 4/3 sensor!

This guy told me that he saw clearly that the dynamic range was limited in comparison with the APS-c cameras, but otherwise it was a great camera. Flash perfect, exposure perfect, built-in IS works, zuikos are excellent... It has some quirks, but feels great at hand. The only problem I find is the 4/3 sensor. Instead of going smaller I wish I could go bigger. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:
... Instead of going smaller I wish I could go bigger. Twisted Evil

That's the point!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - the E-3 is a very fine dslr.
As for the colours:
They are a bit different to the E-1.

There are some E-1 user that don't like the E-3's

- handgrip
- shutter-sound

but really do like

- better resolution
- twist/turn display
- bigger viewfinder!

If the price wasn't a bit too high...
- perhaps the same as with my E-1: Waiting for the prices to come down....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most users have only a kit lens.
The 2x factor is only a problem for the old manual lenses
The 4/3 chip is not so small compared to the 1.6x of a crop canon, Oly should be able to reach the same quality

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we should not forget that we are a small minority, most users could not care less about old manual lenses, so for them the whole sensor size issue is meaningless, as they would only use lenses made specifically for the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E3 does look very nice, and the 2x crop would be great for wildlife work. I'd rather have a D3 though Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Most users have only a kit lens.
The 2x factor is only a problem for the old manual lenses
The 4/3 chip is not so small compared to the 1.6x of a crop canon, Oly should be able to reach the same quality

That's a nice diagram.
Anyway even if a 2xCrop size is not that much smaller than a 1.6xCrop size, it "removes" a lot of the focal length.
A 24mm still is a usable wide angle at 1.6xDSLR, it is not at a 2xDSLR.

If I shot only in AF lenses, I might have consideres Oly 4/3rds, but with manual lenses you have to be a tele fan. Nevertheless, Olympus builds great cameras! My dad really like his one!