Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus E-510 and E-3 now have MF lens support for IS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Olympus E-510 and E-3 now have MF lens support for IS Reply with quote

Image Stabilization in the E-510 and E-3 now works with MF lenses... No Dandelion chip required, just free firmware...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes one want to spit that the capability was always there, it was just a question of turning it on! This is deliberate marketing BS on the part of the manufacturers.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And focus confirmation ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
And focus confirmation ?

Owners of Olympus E3 and E510 can use their cameras' in-body image stabilization with pre-four-thirds lenses with the latest firmware update. The long called-for addition lets users specify the focal length of the lens being attached so that the camera can apply appropriate stabilization.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/esystem/data_e3_1.1_e510_1.3_ENU.pdf
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me focus confirmation is more important than IS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't think this is manufacturer's bullshit. I reckon Olympus bought some Dandelion chips, took them apart and then said, 'Oh, that's how we can offer the same specification as the Pentax K10D'. I bet they're delighted: in the UK, there was a review in an influential magazine criticising the E-3 for not offering IS to MF lenses...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Attila - accurate focus is more important. IS can occasionally help in low light - but so can a tripod and it's no good if the focus is off.

patrickh