Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus announces E-PL1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Olympus announces E-PL1 Reply with quote

Hot off the press Olympus announces E-PL1 a third generation in less than one year joining the E-P1 and E-P2.

http://photo.net/equipment/olympus/epl1/preview/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising , but start from ISO 200 ?! not such a good news.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikon D100 started there also!

Does it suggest that the sensor will be more advanced? They seem to be cannibalizing the line up of EVILs by bringing it out. Then again, at the moment it is vapourware, and willslow sales of the Samsung and Ricoh.

Their sales of EP1 and EP2 will suffer in the meantime, unless they drop the price. Interesting strategy. Should sell many. I hope it is a sign of strength!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a body only option, I will buy it for the IS alone.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know there's just good and bad with every product. yes olly has IS, which is why i have one, but really the lcd screen stinks for the money--the lcd on my wife's p&s samsung is way better!

olly menu not at all intuitive; takes many clicks to get to focus magnification screen.

also, btw, i dont think the olly L starting at iso 200 is indicative of better sensor because, for all real purposes, ep1 and 2 really are optimized for iso 200--iso 100 is just a push.

finally, i am also finding a heck of a lot of noise in my ep1 100% crops with any lens, which is disappointing; fringing too...like i said, every product has their tradeoffs!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted to buy it too.

I am well used to the Oly menu system, but the loss of a second wheel, on the ep1L, seems to make no difference for the experienced oly SLR user. The customisable button(s) seems able to cut through any difficulty with the menu system for the user who knows what they want.

I am with those who see the micro 4/3 format as ideal for nearly all manual lenses. I have read the raves about the GH1 and the ease of use with 16mm and even CCTV lenses. Still too pricey for me and I have to say I have little experience with video. But the Oly EP1L may be the intro I need. The real hope with these cameras, and anything that Canikon comes up with, is the size and the ability to carry it everywhere. Obsessed? Moi? I'm desperate to record what I can see as there is the chance that it validates me as an individual. I can then post it and see what I missed in the photo, so that the obsession causes me to adopt that which will make me a better camera user.

A witness. By seeing better, to take a better picture, I become a better witness. Input may eventually equal output! And vice versa?

Whatever about pixel peeping and noise, the sensor size means it beats the P&S opposition, portable as they are. All modern LCDs are far better than they used to be and are very adequate as framing devices. I tend to peep at my pixels on my monitor. An under-rated peiece of equipment that may explain why user's perceptions appear to differ so much?

Yes, the in-body IS is a powerful argument for night time candids with manual lenses!