Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OLYMPUS 50mm f1.4 M42 SCREW FIT for FTL body
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: OLYMPUS 50mm f1.4 M42 SCREW FIT for FTL body Reply with quote

Are these lenses OK does anyone know? Picked this up for £30 and am hoping it's a nice lens. Bit weird, a native M42 for an Olympus. Hope I haven't bought a pup Sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of Olympus m42 lenses...
OM Zuikos for sure are great.

Waiting for the test samples Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the FTL camera and the Olympus F.Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f1.8 lens. The lens is sharp and good but will NOT be able to mount properly on M42 adapter cos there is a pin like the Fuji lens near the mount. It is meant to lock in place with the camera body. This camera is made before OM-1 released in the market. I heard it is not made by Olympus.

Here is photo of my camera with the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a rare one Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As already pointed out by Krisgage, the Olympus M42 lenses have a protruding pin on the rear mount that prevents from mounting them on "regular" M42 bodies or on bodies where the adapter flushes into the lens mount (example: Pentax DSLRs) ...

Nevertheless, this doesn't mean that those lenses are bad, of course ...
At that price, if the lens works, it is surely a bargain ... I have been able to find only an Auto-T 135/3.5 at 60 euros ...

Cheers

P.S.: If you don't like it, i would be happy to take care of Wink ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Hope it's not so rare as to unusable! I thought, for a 1.4 lens, this was good a price, but http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/ftl.html confuses me a bit. It seems to indicate that the FTL body will accept standard M42 lenses. I therefore assumed that FTL M42 lenses will fit a normal M42-EOS adapter.

BUT
Krisgage wrote:
I have the FTL camera and the Olympus F.Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f1.8 lens. The lens is sharp and good but will NOT be able to mount properly on M42 adapter cos there is a pin like the Fuji lens near the mount. It is meant to lock in place with the camera body. This camera is made before OM-1 released in the market. I heard it is not made by Olympus.

This has me slightly worried but, then again, I'm not averse to a little minor surgery Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Hope it's not so rare as to unusable! I thought, for a 1.4 lens, this was good a price, but http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/ftl.html confuses me a bit. It seems to indicate that the FTL body will accept standard M42 lenses. I therefore assumed that FTL M42 lenses will fit a normal M42-EOS adapter.

BUT
Krisgage wrote:

This has me slightly worried but, then again, I'm not averse to a little minor surgery Twisted Evil

Hi,

Sorry to bring more bad news to you. My bad.

The pin unfortunately is on the aperture ring itself. So if you grind down the pin and flush with M42 adapter, you will need to turn the aperture ring and set it the f stop you want before screw the lens all the way in into the adapter.

Here are more photos to illustrate what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these-I like it so much-I have the f 1.4 coming. Mine must be different from the lens pictured above, as it has a auto/manual button(labeled in the first image). I push it in to go to manual aperture mode/function.

Here are some images made with this mounted on a Sony DSLR:

I have been able to unscrew that safely in some lenses , grabbing it with a small pliers and unscrewing it.I checked my lens and I remember snipping it carefully with a cutter. Although the aperture ring seems to sit flush with the M42 to Sony Adapter,it rotates around freely on mine,when I want to change the aperture setting..

Getting inside the lens mount and fixing the auto diaphragm pin with a plastic (cut piece of Q-Tip plastic)over it ,might be a good option, if it does not have the auto/manual selector . Its a very popular method and you will see lots of demo/guides on it-although maybe not on a Zuiko specifically.
I hope you get to use your lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
I have one of these-I like it so much-I have the f 1.4 coming. Mine must be different from the lens pictured above, as it has a auto/manual button(labeled in the first image). I push it in to go to manual aperture mode/function.

Here are some images made with this mounted on a Sony DSLR:

Lovely images - hope I can replicate when mine arrives Smile

Kathmandu and Krisgage - thanks for the info. I am still confused as to how this pin works.

Does it stick out by a varying amount to tell the camera body what aperture the lens is set to? In which case, can I just remove it?

Or is it like the normal auto M42 pin and has to be pressed in by the camera body to close the aperture to what it has been set to? If so then my M42 adapter will keep it pressed in and the lens will function in "manual" mode?

Or is it a combination of the two? This would seem to be the worst scenario. Oh well. When it arrives, I 'll let you all know Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the same stuff sticking out of the rear part of the lens on my Sigma 18/2.8 for m42 mount. Need to remove it, as it won't let to focus to infinity correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krisgage wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to bring more bad news to you. My bad.

The pin unfortunately is on the aperture ring itself. So if you grind down the pin and flush with M42 adapter, you will need to turn the aperture ring and set it the f stop you want before screw the lens all the way in into the adapter.

Here are more photos to illustrate what I mean.

Hi Krisgage,

Well, it has arrived! Now I have the lens in front of me, I understand what you were saying. In your photos I was looking at the aperture stop down pin that all M42 auto lenses have. I totally ignored the small pin on the aperature control ring, which is of course the problem. I had totally missed the point, I'm sorry.

Well that was easily cured! Could not get it to unscrew, so simply filed it off Twisted Evil Further problem is that the rear face of the aperture control ring is level with the rear face of the lens. This means that the aperture ring binds on the M42-EOS adapter when screwed fully home. I have placed a small ring of A4 paper as a gasket and that has solved it. Still get infinity focus too. Permanent solution will be to get another M42-EOS adapter and turn it down a bit on the outside of the mounting face.

Grey, raining and overcast here. Only had chance to take one shot before my daughter went out, but seems pretty good wide open. Will take a few more when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats martyn_bannister !

No problem, I hope you have fun with it and look forward to more of your photos soon. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped raining, so got a couple more. All shot wide open.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48607572@N04/sets/72157624722171620/

Example...