Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OK, make me spend on an 85mm for portrait photography!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
M42 Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85

Please notice the 6 elements 6 groups M42 Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85 is considered better than the 5 elements 4 groups Super-TAKUMAR so highly recommended here.

Obviously it is a little bit "sharper" than the F1.9 version. That doesn't neccessarily mean that it will be the better lens for portraits. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summicron-R 90mm F2.0 Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pretty cheap new options:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mitakon+creator+85mm+f/2&num=30&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXorKV7oHgAhVR2qQKHUOZD0UQ_AUIDigB&biw=1858&bih=1138

https://www.google.com/search?num=30&client=firefox-b-d&biw=1858&bih=1138&tbm=shop&ei=s0tHXJfxJdD5kwX9uZuADw&q=samyang+85mm+F%2F1.4&oq=samyang+85mm+F%2F1.4&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i19k1.61150.70151.0.70527.18.12.0.6.6.0.62.693.12.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.17.640...0.0.6RQEKdC0EU0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Please notice the 6 elements 6 groups M42 Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/85 is considered better than the 5 elements 4 groups Super-TAKUMAR so highly recommended here.

Obviously it is a little bit "sharper" than the F1.9 version. That doesn't neccessarily mean that it will be the better lens for portraits. Wink

How is that obvious? Who's arguing the general widespread opinions on pentaxforums.com?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

How is that obvious? Who's arguing the general widespread opinions on pentaxforums.com?

How dare someone have a different opinion than pentaxforums Smile
They are both great lenses, the 1.9 seems more portrait oriented and the 1.8 more landscape and mixed use, though I hate putting labels on lenses like that.

I've never had any desire to upgrade my 1.9 to a 1.8, I don't feel it's lacking in any way, I do still want the K 1.8 for my K set.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

How dare someone have a different opinion than pentaxforums Smile
They are both great lenses, the 1.9 seems more portrait oriented and the 1.8 more landscape and mixed use, though I hate putting labels on lenses like that.

I've never had any desire to upgrade my 1.9 to a 1.8, I don't feel it's lacking in any way, I do still want the K 1.8 for my K set.

Well saying "internet" instead of only pf seemed a little much...pf is sufficient.

Having had both I agree 1.9 is not lacking! You see in my signature which I kept. Get the SMC K 1.8 then we'll talk. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: OK, make me spend on an 85mm for portrait photography! Reply with quote

Two Konica 85mm f/1.8 were sold on ebay today. After the first one appeared, I debated a little bit with myself. I knew it would be gone quickly. I was right. Will have to wait for some other 85mms.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Planar 85/1.4 (mine's AEG)

#1 @f/5.6 if I recall

#2 @f/2.8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Sorry for TS that I've just sold my SMC Pentax 85/1.8, which is optically the same as the Takumar 85/1.8 but with PK mount. See how good it holds up against the Tokina 90/2.5 (also recommendable btw).
http://forum.mflenses.com/tokina-at-x-90mm-f-2-5-vs-smc-pentax-85mm-f-1-8-t80272.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
I vote Planar 85/1.4 (mine's AEG)

#2 @f/2.8

I am not really a fan of buzzsaw bokeh balls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
I am not really a fan of buzzsaw bokeh balls

You’re not required to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS, the Tair 135mm and the Meyer Optik 135mm. I feel like I need to be very far and also not shake my hands too much. It's OK if I do portrait with my family, I can be slow and take time, but in a more professional setting, I will struggle a bit more Smile

I feel like the 85mm will be a good compromise. Currently I use 50mm.[/quote]

If you reffer as a professional setting, first ,you need to be sure if you need AF or not. I'm same like you,some very good bokeh 100's but none 85. I personally do miss sometimes AF ,so probably that should the right way,but I'm not interested to spend 500 for a plastic (sony mount), so...... I'm still looking around. In MF there are many nice options ,I have good experience for bokeh with minolta, Zeiss,nikkor and i've seen nice shots on this FL with this mount. As I already have the 100's, really I don't feel any emergency to buy right away an 85 ,but if there would be a good price ,I would go for it,that should be a good price. Leica is beautiful,but lots of $$$$ and I'm not a professional, so I wish you luck, ain't easy going to buy something one time ,it's easier buying a good offer ,test it and if you don't like it,you sell it. Taking photos of family ,is slow ..... they're expecting things to go fast, and MF isn't fast like AF(not for me).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I have the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS, the Tair 135mm and the Meyer Optik 135mm. I feel like I need to be very far and also not shake my hands too much. It's OK if I do portrait with my family, I can be slow and take time, but in a more professional setting, I will struggle a bit more Smile

I feel like the 85mm will be a good compromise. Currently I use 50mm.

If you reffer as a professional setting, first ,you need to be sure if you need AF or not. I'm same like you,some very good bokeh 100's but none 85. I personally do miss sometimes AF ,so probably that should the right way,but I'm not interested to spend 500 for a plastic (sony mount), so...... I'm still looking around. In MF there are many nice options ,I have good experience for bokeh with minolta, Zeiss,nikkor and i've seen nice shots on this FL with this mount. As I already have the 100's, really I don't feel any emergency to buy right away an 85 ,but if there would be a good price ,I would go for it,that should be a good price. Leica is beautiful,but lots of $$$$ and I'm not a professional, so I wish you luck, ain't easy going to buy something one time ,it's easier buying a good offer ,test it and if you don't like it,you sell it. Taking photos of family ,is slow ..... they're expecting things to go fast, and MF isn't fast like AF(not for me).[/quote]

I actually sold my Pentax 85/1.8 because I missed so many magic moments of my son (he's 3 years old and moves a lot), and bought a Sony 85/1.8 for accurate focus. It's the only lens I have I really like to be AF.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the kit zoom that I've only used once,and after more than half a year, checking the pics I see nice things for "normal" shots, of course, the 85 it's got the + for shooting indoors, plenty of light,bokeh and native fast AF, probably that's the only AF I would buy. Still, I'm not in the need of it, so, it's got to be a very good offer to convince me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:

#2 @f/2.8

Perfect bokeh. All I can see is the subject Like 1 .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Perfect bokeh. All I can see is the subject Like 1 .

Thank you! The ninja stars show up at f/2 and f/2.8. The MMJ version doesn't have this effect, so others may prefer that.

Here's another. At f/1.4 gives a nice balance of inner sharpness falling off into softness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I actually sold my Pentax 85/1.8 because I missed so many magic moments of my son (he's 3 years old and moves a lot), and bought a Sony 85/1.8 for accurate focus. It's the only lens I have I really like to be AF.

Shooting kids is like shooting sports. AF is almost essential. I shot a soccer (football) game with MF a couple years ago and, while I got some good shots, the MF drove me crazy and I worked too hard!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:

Here's another. At f/1.4 gives a nice balance of inner sharpness falling off into softness.

Nice! Showing off it's relationship with the Double Gauss design here, to my eyes anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar 80mm f/1.8 gets my vote.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:
Pancolar 80mm f/1.8 gets my vote.

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent shots both pancolar and planar, unfortunately ,planar costs same as sony 85 , pancolar I've no idea never seen one for sale , quality of images very nice to my eyes - the weird thing is that buying some of these lenses for good money ,is a good deal, as their prices maintain value over the time, especially with so many FF camera coming out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Excelent shots both pancolar and planar, unfortunately ,planar costs same as sony 85 , pancolar I've no idea never seen one for sale , quality of images very nice to my eyes - the weird thing is that buying some of these lenses for good money ,is a good deal, as their prices maintain value over the time, especially with so many FF camera coming out

You can sometimes find Prakticar 80 (Pancolar's equivalent in PB mount) for less than $400. Not that far from Sony 85/1.8 but to me it has more character.

If you want to spend significantly less and still get an excellent portrait lens, go no further than Biotar 58/2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirius wrote:

If you want to spend significantly less and still get an excellent portrait lens, go no further than Biotar 58/2.

One of our members, arozenfeld, produces portraits that really appeal to me with his 58/2 biotar, but I don't know if they are ff or apsc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
pirius wrote:

One of our members, arozenfeld, produces portraits that really appeal to me with his 58/2 biotar, but I don't know if they are ff or apsc.

I have no problems using it on a FF camera. The only thing is that 58mm is a bit short for close-up portraits, it makes noses look big. But look at that bokeh! Smile

BTW, it's much sharper than I can see on this page, click on the pic to see it as intended.[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, make me spend on an 85mm for portrait photography! Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Two Konica 85mm f/1.8 were sold on ebay today. After the first one appeared, I debated a little bit with myself. I knew it would be gone quickly. I was right. Will have to wait for some other 85mms.

I use it a lot with the 24/2,8 Hexanon in film era.

Less contrast than I like, may be ideal for portraits.

Sharp from F/2,8

Good lens.

The blades closed something Slowly