Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Off topic: I just sold my clarinet :-(
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Off topic: I just sold my clarinet :-( Reply with quote

I just sold my Buffet Crampon RC clarinet, and even though it was a wise decision, it still makes me sad. It is a wonderful instrument, but I hardly use it, so it's better in someone elses hands.

So ... now this is a saxophone only household, and I have a good excuse to start looking for a custom made mouthpiece for my bari sax Laughing

I think it's the same as with mechanical cameras that one is attached to. There is something unique in real crafmanship and technique, instead of electronic novelties.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have good taste in clarinets. I had the R13 back in the day. Since I
work on woodwinds, I never am short of playing anything I want.

Are you looking for a custom metal mouthpiece for the Bari? Something
fairly open as to facing for edge and projection?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Are you looking for a custom metal mouthpiece for the Bari? Something
fairly open as to facing for edge and projection?

No, I have a 1950's Martin, and I want a large chamber mouthpiece. Erik Greiffenhagen is famous for his baritone mouthpieces.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, another pair of clarinet players? What other instruments do members play? I'm afraid that clarinets are as bad as cameras for me.. Vito, Selmer, Buffet, Noblet Leblanc... Eeek! lol

Doug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Aha, another pair of clarinet players? What other instruments do members play? I'm afraid that clarinets are as bad as cameras for me.. Vito, Selmer, Buffet, Noblet Leblanc... Eeek! lol

Doug

A clarinet collector Laughing

I have a:

Martin "The Martin" bari sax
Buescher Aristocrat tenor
Martin Indiana alto
Yamaha YAS-375 alto (for my daughter)
Weltklang Shocked soprano (it was a gift)

That's enough for me Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Indiana" by Martin is one sweet alto.

@Doug, if it's not Buffet, are you really playing a clarinet? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly man!

It's like cameras and lenses, one no longer has time to play - one is too busy collecting! lol What reeds and ligatures do you favor?

Doug

PS I'm not convinced the Buffet is so very much better than the best of the rest, despite astronomical pricing? Indeed I'd buy either a Selmer or a Yamaha over their student models.. For more advance play they are not too shabby though... lol Also although rosewood etc. has the tone, does it have the stability of the best resins? Then here's the odd metal model from the 30's...lol

Katastrofo wrote:
"The Indiana" by Martin is one sweet alto.

@Doug, if it's not Buffet, are you really playing a clarinet? Laughing

Last edited by nemesis101 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

PS I'm not convinced the Buffet is so very much better than the best of the rest, despite astronomical pricing?

It's a bit like Selmer in the saxophone world.

I bought my RC in the 1980's, btw, so it's from before the greenline and other innovations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd better show some shots of our instruments taken with a manual lens set-up or the off topic polce will be after us? lol

Doug

eeyore_nl wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

PS I'm not convinced the Buffet is so very much better than the best of the rest, despite astronomical pricing?

It's a bit like Selmer in the saxophone world.

I bought my RC in the 1980's, btw, so it's from before the greenline and other innovations.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dubious of the Greenline (down here in Alabama there's a serious
cracking problem with grenadilla wood) but the tone was everything I
could expect. I play Vandoren reeds, Wells B1 mouthpiece for clarinet, also Stowell (Frank Wells is long dead, probably Stowell, too, Vandoren
lig or Rovner. I had the chain get in some Zonda reeds, beautiful cane
out of Argentina, but they couldn't profile a decent heart section, like
trying to play a 2x4. lol

The big rave in saxes is Cannonball, people are throwing their Mark VI
Selmers for the Big Bell. Remember the Ladyface Conn's in saxes, the 6M and 10M (alto and tenor) beautiful craftsmanship that Conn hasn't/can't do in decades.

I've seen only one Arezzo clarinet by Cannonball, couple of one-piece
(body, with barrel and bell separate) Rossi's. I won't mention Howarth,
haven't seen an Eaton clarinet, supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
We'd better show some shots of our instruments taken with a manual lens set-up or the off topic polce will be after us? lol

CZJ Sonnar Zebra 135/3.5 Laughing

Katastrofo wrote:

The big rave in saxes is Cannonball, people are throwing their Mark VI
Selmers for the Big Bell. Remember the Ladyface Conn's in saxes, the 6M and 10M (alto and tenor) beautiful craftsmanship that Conn hasn't/can't do in decades.

I don't think the Cannonball hype is going to last.

I tested some Cannonball saxes (a couple of years ago), and I wasn't impressed. However, the quality of the Taiwanese instruments has certainly improved.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an Emilio (Boston) treatment on the palm keys, he started doing those back in the 60's. Yeah, we aren't Cannonball dealers, he wants way too much to get on board with him. I like the old horns myself:
King Super 20 with sterling bell and neck, now there was a horn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pic Laughing

Made with a compact Embarassed

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me that I should really sell my guitar. I haven't played it in years and keep hanging onto it in case I decide to play again....which I doubt I will.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez I'd a never thought we had a clarinet crowd here. Cool.

Me, I'm a musician from way back. I play guitar. But I build them now more than I play them. I specialize in classicals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Off topic: I just sold my clarinet :-( Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
I just sold my Buffet Crampon RC clarinet, and even though it was a wise decision, it still makes me sad. It is a wonderful instrument, but I hardly use it, so it's better in someone elses hands.

So ... now this is a saxophone only household, and I have a good excuse to start looking for a custom made mouthpiece for my bari sax Laughing

I think it's the same as with mechanical cameras that one is attached to. There is something unique in real crafmanship and technique, instead of electronic novelties.

In hindsight, it was an extremely stupid decision! Little did I know that I would be fulltime back into clarinet playing again only five years later. I was lucky to find a good replacement (an early 1970's Buffet R13) but I still regret selling that RC.

Lesson learned; think twice (or three times) before selling a musical instrument you cherish. The same might apply to cameras and lenses Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

PS I'm not convinced the Buffet is so very much better than the best of the rest, despite astronomical pricing? Indeed I'd buy either a Selmer or a Yamaha over their student models.. For more advance play they are not too shabby though... lol Also although rosewood etc. has the tone, does it have the stability of the best resins? Then here's the odd metal model from the 30's...lol

I started building my chops again on a Yamaha resin clarinet, which I now use for outdoors playing. I agree that it is not bad at all; it misses some "depth" to the tone, but that can also be the design (easy to play for beginners). My main complaint is about the keywork; I don't really like the feel of the keywork on the Yamaha student and intermediate clarinets (did not try a Custom model yet).

I tried several Selmers (a.o. 9* and 10s) and Yamahas. The Selmers I couldn't get along with, and something in the Yamahas (450 and 650) did not agree with me. For some reason, they felt "tight" to me, and I don't like the feel of the keywork. I did not try any Leblanc clarinets, but several Buffet Crampons. As soon as I picked up the one that I bought, something in the tone resonated with me. Hard to explain in words though. Since the keywork is the same as on the RC, that instantly felt familiar. I only went back in time; this one is from 1972.