Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Odd lens camera combo.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Odd lens camera combo. Reply with quote

So I follow Helioplan on ebay and a camera lens combo came up that I am hoping the brain trust here can help me understand. The helioplan is the 40mm 4.5 in m42 mount and the camera a Contax D.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325244144935

I was under the impression that rangefinder flange distance was far too short for typical m42 to be used. Would this combo only be useful for close up or macro?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neverminnd. I noticed now that the contax d is an slr. What mount is on the contax d?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK found that as well. M42. Basically a praktika type thing. Sad that such a thing should wear the Contax name.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great conversation you are having here Smile Smile Smile
I'm glad you were able to solve the puzzle
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I saw the camera and not noticing the pentaprism said "huh? Must have an adapter" so I did a search of Contax camera mounts. RF, G, N, C/Y, 645 all came up but not m42. Says to myself I'll ask my friends on MFL. Then proceeded to keep digging. Just demonstrating how stupid I am. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's old enough for me to wonder which came first- the "D" or the Practica.

Scary pricing...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax S was the first camera to use the M42 lens mount in 1949, so the lens is on the right camera. Originally referred to as CS mount (Contax Screw) its name has changed in use over the years: US (Universal screw), UM (Universal mount), P (Pentax, then later Pentax/Praktica) or just screw thread or SLR screw thread. M42 really only started being used in the last couple of decades.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
OK found that as well. M42. Basically a praktika type thing. Sad that such a thing should wear the Contax name.

If you research the history of Zeiss you'll understand. But the Contax SLRs (of that period) were made by East German Zeiss (Zeiss got split between East and West Germany during the war) but then they lost the right to use the Contax name so that's when Praktica and Pentacon names appeared.