Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Strange and characteristic lenses in M42 and M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Strange and characteristic lenses in M42 and M39 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member but have been an avid reader of this unique forum and i come with a lot of question.

I'm curious as to what sort of strange M42 and M39 lenses you've found.

Of course I'd love to buy only finest glass but I also love crappy lenses with major flaws. I like interesting lensflare and unusual bokeh.
All in all, even the flaws of some lenses can be a useful tool.

I really like the Zenitar ME-1 with it's square bokeh for example. Im currently trying to get one for around 50 Euros.

That said, what lens is your favorite oddball?

Last edited by Idyllion on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Welcome to the forum,I moved your post here for better coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my most distinctive lens is a cheap Tamron zoom, 85-210 / 4.5. It's a sharp lens, lovely colours, and really great bokeh with circular highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: M42 Reply with quote

Three M42 lenses that I have really been impressed with are the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8, the Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f1.2 and the Carl Zeiss Sonnar 85mm f2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strangest m42 lens?
-Cyclop 85mm f/1.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Trioplan 100mm f/2.8!

Humulus wrote:
The strangest m42 lens?
-Cyclop 85mm f/1.5

Or the Helios 40 as its twin with iris.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edixar 1.8/55 (M42)

it can be smooth and creamy:

or going crazy:

..it all depends on the light..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that Edixar is sick. Sick but great! Does anyone know where to buy one as bargain? Very Happy

Besides, I consider Trioplan 100 (alt. Primoplan 75) and Domiron 50 to have the wildest bokeh and Biotar 75/Helios 40 the most intriguing one for portraits.

And Pancolar 80 has the best "fire circle" under a certain counter-light cirumstances I have yet witnessed.

Also, Primotar 135 ("draws like Monet") or Telemegor 180 have some solid unique bokeh, kind of abstract like a painting.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:
Does anyone know where to buy one as bargain? Very Happy

the price isn't the biggest problem, you have to find one.. Wink

You can try the old Auto Yashinon 1.8/55mm.. it's a lot easier to find and not that expensive. From my first (short) comparison with the Edixar, I think it could be the same lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Meyer Gorlitz Oreston 50/1.8, which can be had pretty cheaply.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir 10A and Industar 61 L/Z have peculiar star shaped aperture, and they happen to be pretty decent lenses, and not too expensive either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cheap as chips Pentacon Prakticar 50mm f/1.8 is really really glowy wide open. I consider it a plus, as it lets you take all kinds of dreamy photos. (It's sharp stopped down)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Idyllion!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strange M42 lens - Fujita f3.5/135. A tiny wee lens, reputedly the smallest in its time, still very small today. Very sparse info on this company.

Even stranger - Nikon EL Nikkor f2.8 enlarging lens (m39) - with extension tubes.

Both lenses on Sony a700... Cool

PS photos of the Fujita...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Reply with quote

newst wrote:
Three M42 lenses that I have really been impressed with are the..... Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f1.2

I assume that was a typo because this is the first I've heard of it....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
newst wrote:
Three M42 lenses that I have really been impressed with are the..... Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f1.2

: not .

f1:2 most likely

OH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
Mir 10A and Industar 61 L/Z have peculiar star shaped aperture, and they happen to be pretty decent lenses, and not too expensive either.

Volna-9 too and it is a better lens than the similar 61 L/Z Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Aanything wrote:

Volna-9 too and it is a better lens than the similar 61 L/Z Wink

Strangely, my Volna-9 is not as good as my Industar-61 L/Z... maybe a bad copy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the Super Takumar 50mm macro, the Volna-9 and Ind. 61 L/Z against each other a few years ago. Ind 61 can focus close, but not to 1:2 as the Takumar and the Volna. Sharpness is similar on all of them. Volna-9 has the best bokeh and is the better choice IMO Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange and characteristic lenses in M42 and M39 Reply with quote

Idyllion wrote:

I really like the Zenitar ME-1 with it's square bokeh for example. Im currently trying to get one for around 50 Euros.

That's an unrealistic price because no one is selling this lens under 300 Euro and there are only 4000 copies so I don't think the seller doesn't know the value of this lens. Be careful, don't be mistaken with the regular Zenitar 50/1.7 lens, it doesn't make square bokeh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: M42 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
newst wrote:

: not .

f1:2 most likely

OH

Yes, my clumsy fingers. f2.0.