Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NX11 first thoughts
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: NX11 first thoughts Reply with quote

I took out my NX11 today for the first time and I have to admit, I found the experience a bit hit and miss. The weather was a bit odd, which didn't help, ranging from full on sunshine to miserable cloud cover!

Ergonomically, the camera feels good and is nice and light. Having an EVF is a must for me with manual lenses and it is of reasonable size. The resolution is low though, and I really struggled with critical focusing. In fact, I missed 75% of my shots which was a real shock to the system Shocked

Noise is bad. Even at ISO 400 it is quite obvious. I expected it to be so so as many rave about this being an ISO 100 camera, and I sort of agree to a point. I bought the camera as a platform for my old Prakticar lenses, and it will probably be fine for that. I'm not convinced I'd ditch my 5D for one though, despite it's weight. More testing is definitely required, but sadly I'm not convinced yet.

Test shots:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1258644.html#1258644

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update, still haven't used this camera much yet for manual focus lenses. However, I have just purchased a new nx100 with 20-50mm lens for travelling around with (It was only £130.00). Attila's samples looked so good and the NX100 is a lovely looking camera, so simple Smile

I think once the NX20 drops in price, I'll swap my NX11 for one of those, provided the EVF is of much higher quality (it should be) and it doesn't give me a headache Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where are the samples?!? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NX100 with the 20-50 kit lens. I'm amazed how good this little lens is for a cheapie kit lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday talked to my nephew, he developed enormous dislike for his Canon 350 D, to the point that he does not want to touch it anymore. He thought about upgrading kit lens, then we discussed changing the camera to some mirrorless, but all options looked quite expensive where he lives. Then I recalled about Samsung. This looks like a slam dunk for someone who wants AF. So keep your impressions and pictures coming Wink

Btw, how's Samsung as a MF cam, any issues to be aware of?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Yesterday talked to my nephew, he developed enormous dislike for his Canon 350 D, to the point that he does not want to touch it anymore. He thought about upgrading kit lens, then we discussed changing the camera to some mirrorless, but all options looked quite expensive where he lives. Then I recalled about Samsung. This looks like a slam dunk for someone who wants AF. So keep your impressions and pictures coming Wink

Btw, how's Samsung as a MF cam, any issues to be aware of?

Bring him here Wink
Why not advice him to buy a mirrorless and a couple of mf lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
NX100 with the 20-50 kit lens. I'm amazed how good this little lens is for a cheapie kit lens.

Looks very good indeed Wink
The landscape shot make me think of "Game of Thrones" Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Bring him here Wink
Why not advice him to buy a mirrorless and a couple of mf lenses Very Happy

I've already started the play of seduction, but I am subtle about it. All he ever had was a kit lens, it's quite a bit leap from AF zoom to MF primes. Let him first get a mirrorless, mf lenses will follow in due course Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will notice a massive step up in quality from the 350D to a NX. I have a 450D and that's nowhere near the NX.

The other great thing about the NX series are the very cheap but excellent prime lenses, the 2/30 is under 100eu but really great.

I haven't used my NX with manual lenses, I doubt it's very good as it only has 2x assist.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, for some reason the 30/2 has shot up in price since I last looked (9 months ago). Have you seen it cheap anywhere recently?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked, last time I looked it was 89 quid online, but that was quite a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly it's almost doubled in price now Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, it's still a bargain at double price, but not as attractive as it was when it was so cheap. Wish I'd grabbed one while they were cheap.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89 (Aus$? USA$?) was a bargain.
180 not so much.
Actually, in Europe, best price I found is 190€ for a new lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, Samsung folks, are spoiled. I had to pay about 270 Euros for my Panasonic 20/1.7 pancake and I had to buy it in US to get it that low. Ok, Pany has more elements, more aspherics, a bit faster, and probably a tad sharper, but still, other mirrorless folks must pay much higher for fast normals.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a mint and boxed 30/2 from a dealer for £125 delivered which seems like an ok price.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take the NX100 out for a proper trip tomorrow, but I tested all was working OK this afternoon in the garden with the 20-50mm:

Early verdict is that the NX100 has wonderful colours, but the sensor is a bit noisy even at low ISO. The 20-50mm kit lens is OK but needs stopping down to become really sharp.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the colours, they are more saturated than my NEX-3. Haven't noticed the noise but haven't used it above the base ISO. I like the kit lens, has nice bokeh for a zoom and it's sharp enough, I found it to be plenty sharp at f8-f11 at infinity, which is how I tend to use it, haven't shot it much wide open but I thought it was adequate.

Congrats on the 2/30, price was good I think, look forward to some samples. Dr. Volkan posted a stunning series with his 2/30 last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ian, yep those samples from the good doctor were excellent.

I got carried away with the 6D again today, but still managed to get a few more shots in with the nx100 and 20-50mm kit lens: