Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

notebook for video editing?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for that Calvin. Still I am in no hurry and propably I shall wait until I can make it to hongkong, or any other place where I can see and try out the models that come into question, it's just so different than simply ordering one according to specs and proice.

in a review I found that the display, even though non glare and full HD, described as medium at best, it specifically said, if you look for a notebook to edit photos, because of the display, look somewhere else.

hm..if I just had as much patience browsing the net for notebooks like I ( used to have ) browsing for lenses..
still looking for the one Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is better check the notebook in person before you purchase if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY I got my new notebook today.

Not the Lenovo Y510P nor the successor Y50-70 that now is being sold, reason being that reviews rate their monitor subbar.
There was an Asus and an Acer that would have fit the bill, but I could not find the right model here in Kuala Lumpur where for various reasons I now decided to buy.

So it is an MSI, the MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro: http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-2PE-Apache-Pro.html#hero-specification
yes, it has an 'aggressive' design, the other models would have looked more 'decent', but specs / price ration impressed me, therefore I got used to it's look very fast, now even like it Wink
exact model is MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro 293 MY, that is a configuration as sold in Malaysia with specs that differ a bit from the MSI site linked above, they got it right here: http://www.gameon.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=4380
It has a 1TB 7200 RPM HHD and a slot for an SSD, and I added a 120 GB mSata SSD for the OS and my most used programs. The speed of boot and launching e.g. PS and LR are truly impressive! Monitor says Full HD 1920x1080, Anti-Glare Backlit, 'IPS' and looks gorgeous! I can see details of photos like never before, finally I can see all the artefacts caused by bad editing by me and the differences of performance of lenses and cameras like never before.

thank you very much everybody for your help, specially to you Calvin! In the end I did not come to Hongkong to buy there, have other plans now, but I am so greatful for all your advice and your willingness to help me buy in Hongkong. I still hope that I shall make it to Hongkong within the coming half year and nevertheless would be very, very happy to meet up then!

I am happy,
cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that your finally get your new notebook! I think you have done very well getting the right PC with a relatively low price. Consider upgrade to 16GB Ram later if you need to process bigger raw files.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Good to hear that your finally get your new notebook! I think you have done very well getting the right PC with a relatively low price. Consider upgrade to 16GB Ram later if you need to process bigger raw files.

thank you Calvin!
yes, I may upgrade to 16 GB Ram later. For now I am just impressed by how fast this thing is!

the price was ok, got it for 3799 Malaysian Ringgit instead of the listed 4199.- Because I added the mSata SSD in the end pretty much exactly payed the list price again or abt. 1250 usd. First thought I don't need the SSD, but then sometimes I might have thought that I better had added it, and the seller was good and convincing! When he explained that having the OS on the SSD assures that the notebook won't slow down even after 2 or 3 years of use, as is usual with OS on the HHD and which really has happened with every notebook I have had however hard I tried to take care, I was sold Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this one will do the job, congratz! Very Happy

What kind of software are you using for video editing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

thank's Lars!
Sony Vegas 13 ( had used an earlier version of Vegas some years before ) might give Adobe Premier a try too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
Looks like this one will do the job, congratz! :D

thank's Lars!
Sony Vegas 13 ( had used an earlier version of Vegas some years before ) might give Adobe Premier a try too

Premiere improved greatly in the last years: I used to hate it, now I am almost happy when I use it - especially for the easy workflow when you have to go through different adobe software on one project.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

thank's Lars!

Premiere improved greatly in the last years: I used to hate it, now I am almost happy when I use it - especially for the easy workflow when you have to go through different adobe software on one project.

from ( the little ) I have read on the topic I believe that Premiere is the preferred choice. I tend to Vegas only because I had been using it before, and btw. had found it easy and intuitive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premiere is very nice, I have used it the last 12 years. It used to crash sometimes 10 years ago, but it has been rock solid for me the last 5 years. Wink