Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

notebook for video editing?!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Very Happy I had to buy a cheap notebook for my son, I chose a Toshiba for under $500au the battery only lasts about 2 hrs. I can't wait to see what you buy,will you give a small review?

2 hours..this when new, my guess is it will be down to less than 1 hour after 1 year and to less than 15 minutes in 2 Wink
I am not someone who could give a meaningful review on a notebook, I could say that is works! There could be a few more points to a notebook that even I understand, e.g. I am not so sure if I'd like or dislike the backlit keyboard on the chosen Lenovo, will have to see that myself in a shop first. I believe that there even are 'gaming notebooks' that have lights flashing that can't be turned off Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I would only want to hear about the basics,battery life,can it handle what you want it for Video processing. Perhaps how the speakers sound...my sons Toshiba has very bad sound.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if non-Japanese brand notebook in Japan will be cheaper. Most big brands should have choice of English or Japanese Keyboard. Price is Hong Kong is not the cheapest but we have the most updated models.

Big notebook design for gaming have the best speakers(physical limitation). The light of keyboard and other flashing light can be turn off in software. It is best to try notebook in person. You will discover more details not covered by reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Laughing I would only want to hear about the basics,battery life,can it handle what you want it for Video processing. Perhaps how the speakers sound...my sons Toshiba has very bad sound.

ok Mo, once I have the new notebook I shall try, though that still may take a few months! Cool
best greetings, andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I do not know if non-Japanese brand notebook in Japan will be cheaper. Most big brands should have choice of English or Japanese Keyboard. Price is Hong Kong is not the cheapest but we have the most updated models.

Big notebook design for gaming have the best speakers(physical limitation). The light of keyboard and other flashing light can be turn off in software. It is best to try notebook in person. You will discover more details not covered by reviews.

Checked the Japanese Lenovo store, they only have one configuration of the Y510P which possibly again is different than the 4 offered by Lenovo USA but I am not sure. Still trying to find out if they would ship with English OS and warranty issues.
I am sure that Hongkong has the newest, and I thought that prices also are competitive, still think cheaper than almost anywhere but with the exception of the US?

It seems that there are no notebooks offered specifically for video editing or also just Photo editing but that gamer notebooks are the best choice for that, right? Good speakers certainly are a plus I will like, and good to know that any flashing lights can be turned off! Calvin certainly you are right, trying out oneself is a must!

thank's again, best regards, andreas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manufactures will provide different configuration at different place depending on the need of the local market. Price here may not be the cheapest but definitely cheaper many place in the world.

Workstation grade notebook are designed for video/graphic editing, scientific calculation or financial analysis etc. They build like tank and they cost a fortune. Those notebook have hardware and software design for business use. In your case, those business function are useless. A high end entertainment notebook is a good choice with your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Samsung Laptop, i5, Nvidia Geforce Cuda, Win7, 6 MB RAM and PowerDirector 12.
That works pretty well. Nothing for professional video and only in 720x (not HD), though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for churning in Carsten! If your i5/6GB can do it any i7/8GB should be more than ok Smile

I tried to find out if the Lenovo Y510P offered by Lenovo Japan can be ordered with English OS. Online Lenovo chat could not tell me, my question to Lenovo USA was answered by giving me the email address of Lenovo Japan to ask there, just now received the answer saying that..no, Japanese only.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

I tried to find out if the Lenovo Y510P offered by Lenovo Japan can be ordered with English OS. Online Lenovo chat could not tell me, my question to Lenovo USA was answered by giving me the email address of Lenovo Japan to ask there, just now received the answer saying that..no, Japanese only.

The keyboard on notebooks here is always English keyboard. If you do not like Lenovo, you can consider Acer and Asus here. They price are pretty much the same here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Calvin. Buying in Japan would not have been all that good an idea anyway, when entering Austria I might have run into problems explaining why I carry 2 notebooks, both obviously models sold in Asia Wink
will check if I get one for a decent price in Europe, possibly manufactur refurbished, or I shall buy later in the year when back in Asia. I like Lenovo, also found their response to my enquiries quite good! Visiting Hongkong to meet you and buy there sure would be great Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome, Andreas. You do not need to carry two notebooks. Sell your notebook without the hard disk after you got your new one.

For gaming or workstation notebook, I will only buy a refurbished one if there is at least one year warranty from the manufacture. If you find one refurbished cheap enough, it may be worth the risk even it is only comes within one month warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You are welcome, Andreas. You do not need to carry two notebooks. Sell your notebook without the hard disk after you got your new one.

For gaming or workstation notebook, I will only buy a refurbished one if there is at least one year warranty from the manufacture. If you find one refurbished cheap enough, it may be worth the risk even it is only comes within one month warranty.

good advice again Calvin, thank you!
in a place like Hongkong one can do that, I mean selling an old notebook without harddisc Wink ..though there is also someone who would want my old one for a present back in Saigon Wink
and if refurb it should at least have some time of warranty included!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For us photographers:
I would also keep an eye on good display performance.

I'm an Acer fan and a HP-hater btw. Smile
Please do me a favour and avoid HP, you won't regret that Wink

This might help if you wan't one in this league (~15,7" <1000€):
http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-Notebooks-14-15-6-Zoll-bis-ca.-1000-Euro--index/extended/id/886/
(at test list many recent models)

"Mobilität" means mobility (battery power), "Austattung" means interior like optical drives, hard disk space, webcams etc., "Ergonomie" means build quality, haptics etc., "Leistung" means hardware performance/speed

MSI GE60-i750M245FD (0016GC-SKU2) might be a good choice. Only drawback is low battery time, but display is very good, benchmark performance excellent and price not too bad.

or
Acer Aspire V5-573G-54208G50akk (NX.MCEEG.005) - very good and cheaper laptop for sure, including very best display, great mobility (compact and light and very long battery time), also very nice hardware (Geforce 4GB GT 750M, 8GB RAM,...) but it has Intel Core i5-4200U 1,6-2,6Ghz only which is a ittle drawback for editing full HD movies. Would be the best choice for photo editing and occasional video editing in the price league imho.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Fri May 02, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 8 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Acer looks nice, but it has a glossy display right? I'm looking for medium spec spec 15" laptop with a matte display and USB3 port. Price 500-700 euro. Ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
That Acer looks nice, but it has a glossy display right? I'm looking for medium spec spec 15" laptop with a matte display and USB3 port. Price 500-700 euro. Ideas?

Here some more technical specs from the Acer:

Size 38,2 x 25,6 x 2,4 cm
Weight 2,1 kg
Prozessor Intel Core i5-4200U (1,60 GHz, 2,6 GHz Turbo)
Chipset Intel HM86
Graphics Nvidia Geforce GT 750M 4096 MByte (decent)
RAM 8.192 MByte
RAM max. 12.288 MByte
Display 15,6 Zoll (Widescreen) nonreflective IPS-Panel
Resolution 1.920 x 1.080 Pixel
Display: Surface matt
Display: Brightness 266 cd/m² (decent)
Display: Chessboard-Contrast 154 :1 (decent)
Display: Delay 18 ms
Display: Pixel density 141 dpi
Display: Disposition of brightness 18% (decent)
Display: Disposition of colors 2% (outstanding)
HDD Seagate ST500LT012 - 500GB
Battery 3.560 mAh / 53,4 Wh
Battery time Office 8:18 hours
Battery time video 5:32 Stunden
Noise running idle 0,1 sone
Noise under max. stress 2,3 sone
Energy hunger running idle 13,3 Watt
Energy max stress 90,0 Watt
Max. Temperatur measured 74,0°C (decent)
USB-Schnittstellen 1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0
Bluetooth yes
WLAN 300 MBit/s
LAN 1.000 MBit/s
HDMI yes
Speicherkarten-Leser SD/MMC
Webcam yes
Zusätzliche Ausstattung -
Warranty 24 Monate

Benchmarks:

Benchmark: PCMark 7 2.835 Punkte
Benchmark: Cinebench 11.5 (1 CPU) 0,89 Punkte
Benchmark: Cinebench 11.5 (Multi-CPU) 2,44 Punkte
Benchmark: Cinebench 11.5 (OpenGL) 42,21 Punkte
Benchmark: DVDFab 186 Sekunden
Benchmark: CCS native 76 fps
Benchmark: Metro 2033 (DX10 720p) 40 fps
Benchmark: Metro 2033 (DX10 nativ) 29 fps
Benchmark: Metro 2033 (DX11 720p) 39 fps
Benchmark: Metro 2033 (DX11 nativ) 28 fps

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForenSeil wrote:
Please do me a favour and avoid HP, you won't regret that Wink

+1

there are many HP notebooks (especially the cheaper Pavilion series) with thermal problems

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an ex corperate laptop take a look at http://www.scctrade.co.uk/laptops-?sort=p.price&order=DESC/
They do some very good prices for ex corperate laptops so you can get a HP 8440W workstation laptop for under £200
If you want i have a 10% off discount code dont get anything that is not A or B grade
C is not tested and may have faults

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much ForenSeil for this search site, and your suggestion, the Acer looks quite good, good enough even for video? should be..
same to eddieitman, what prices there! Must hope that later there also will be some offered with high enough specs.

now a bit short in time, once back in Austria i shall check out both sites more thorroughly again,
thank you very much to both of you, andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just searched on idealo.co.uk, because I prefer English OS and keyboard again on an UK site.

here my search results: http://www.idealo.co.uk/cat/3751F997301-1933568-3037600/laptops.html

this one in particular looks attractive to me: http://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/4232188/lenovo-ideapad-z510-59405978.html
resp. the same one form the shop that offers the cheapest price: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/WHITE_-_Lenovo_Z510_Intel_Core_i7_8GB_1000GB_Wifi_15.6in__Laptop_w8.1_59405978/version.asp?refsource=ldawin&affid=73258#maindesc

main specs:

Screen size - 15.6 in
full HD non glare
Processor - Intel Core i7 4700MQ - 2.4 GHz
RAM - 8 GB
Hard Drive - 1 TB
Operating System - Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)
Optical Drive - DVD Super Multi
Warranty - 1 year warranty
price in USD: abt. 1070.-

what do you guys think?
any thoughts on model, if any other of the search results would be the better deal, or e.g. experience with that particular vendor?
Calvin, how much would I have to pay for equivalent in Hongkong, or would I get newer, better models there for the saame price?

any input much appreciated, thank you, andreas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model number here has change to Z510a. The spec is very similar but the model here comes with a blu-ray drive and GeForce GT740-2G(this stand-alone video card may be absent on the £624.97 model). Price is about $980 but you can have a small discount if you pay by cash.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much for that Calvin. Still I am in no hurry and propably I shall wait until I can make it to hongkong, or any other place where I can see and try out the models that come into question, it's just so different than simply ordering one according to specs and proice.

in a review I found that the display, even though non glare and full HD, described as medium at best, it specifically said, if you look for a notebook to edit photos, because of the display, look somewhere else.

hm..if I just had as much patience browsing the net for notebooks like I ( used to have ) browsing for lenses..
still looking for the one Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is better check the notebook in person before you purchase if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY I got my new notebook today.

Not the Lenovo Y510P nor the successor Y50-70 that now is being sold, reason being that reviews rate their monitor subbar.
There was an Asus and an Acer that would have fit the bill, but I could not find the right model here in Kuala Lumpur where for various reasons I now decided to buy.

So it is an MSI, the MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro: http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-2PE-Apache-Pro.html#hero-specification
yes, it has an 'aggressive' design, the other models would have looked more 'decent', but specs / price ration impressed me, therefore I got used to it's look very fast, now even like it Wink
exact model is MSI GE60 2PE Apache Pro 293 MY, that is a configuration as sold in Malaysia with specs that differ a bit from the MSI site linked above, they got it right here: http://www.gameon.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=4380
It has a 1TB 7200 RPM HHD and a slot for an SSD, and I added a 120 GB mSata SSD for the OS and my most used programs. The speed of boot and launching e.g. PS and LR are truly impressive! Monitor says Full HD 1920x1080, Anti-Glare Backlit, 'IPS' and looks gorgeous! I can see details of photos like never before, finally I can see all the artefacts caused by bad editing by me and the differences of performance of lenses and cameras like never before.

thank you very much everybody for your help, specially to you Calvin! In the end I did not come to Hongkong to buy there, have other plans now, but I am so greatful for all your advice and your willingness to help me buy in Hongkong. I still hope that I shall make it to Hongkong within the coming half year and nevertheless would be very, very happy to meet up then!

I am happy,
cheers, andreas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that your finally get your new notebook! I think you have done very well getting the right PC with a relatively low price. Consider upgrade to 16GB Ram later if you need to process bigger raw files.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Good to hear that your finally get your new notebook! I think you have done very well getting the right PC with a relatively low price. Consider upgrade to 16GB Ram later if you need to process bigger raw files.

thank you Calvin!
yes, I may upgrade to 16 GB Ram later. For now I am just impressed by how fast this thing is!

the price was ok, got it for 3799 Malaysian Ringgit instead of the listed 4199.- Because I added the mSata SSD in the end pretty much exactly payed the list price again or abt. 1250 usd. First thought I don't need the SSD, but then sometimes I might have thought that I better had added it, and the seller was good and convincing! When he explained that having the OS on the SSD assures that the notebook won't slow down even after 2 or 3 years of use, as is usual with OS on the HHD and which really has happened with every notebook I have had however hard I tried to take care, I was sold Wink