Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Notebook for heavy photoshopping
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Notebook for heavy photoshopping Reply with quote

I need a notebook for heavy photoshopping work. By heavy i mean 21 or more MP photos as the base + several layers, often totalling
1+ GB of PSD files
I am not at all informed about which processor etc.
But I know that I need fast processor possibly multi core (i7 ?), at least 12gb RAM and a Nvidia graphic card with at least 4Gb RAM
Plus USB 3, wifi, etc
I don't need THE absolute fastest and most powerful notebook, but I need one that is "fast enough + some room" at the best possible price to allow the "fast enough + some room"
Suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say, i'll also need an output for external monitor, since i would not use the notebook monitor except when traveling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget?
PC or MAC?
Screen size?
Screen type(glossy or not)?
Weight?
Harddisk size for photo storage?

Any links to the PCs or MACs you may purchase?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Budget?
PC or MAC?
Screen size?
Screen type(glossy or not)?
Weight?
Harddisk size for photo storage?

Any links to the PCs or MACs you may purchase?

Hi, budget preferably within 1000 €, but 100 or so more not a problem if worth it
PC
Screen size not decisive factor, screen type better not glossy
Weight not decisive
HD size not decisive
I'm interested in performance with heavy files. I search for best compromise between power in working heavy files and good price.
I don't need the most powerful one, as long as it's powerful enough not to make me crawl in big files
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk io speed will be the smallest speed bottleneck -- get fastest disk io system you can for fastest batch processing AND fastest image processing in general (and fastest os operation).

ram as much as you can for snappy manual operation of image processing programs.

multi processor -- does graphics software take advantage of multi cores? Anybody know?

all that takes a lot of power -- battery power is very limiting -- notebook battery life figures are not so predictive when continuous batch process of images, for example. Laughing

screen -- ips is still best choice, yes?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think yes about the multichore - after all, it's aleays computation.
Thanks for suggestion about the hard disk! Any suggetion abbotu what technology? I am ignorant. However keep in mind that i always use removable HDs for storage because I cantake them around and from desktop to notebook, and because they are easier to back up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your situation is pretty similar to Andreas(take a look at this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/notebook-for-video-editing-t65520.html ). A good gaming notebook is your choice if you don't mind the size/weight. With 1100 € budget, you need to do some compromise. Go to NotebookCheck for specs , reviews and guides http://www.notebookcheck.net/FAQ-Tips-Technics.123.0.html .

CPU: Best is a four core processor like the i7-3632QM or a fast two core like i7-3520M. i5-3230M may be OK if you can wait.

RAM: 16GB or +

HD: SSD will be nice but the capacity maybe limited as your budget is tight(128GB might be too small and you need least 256GB). Some notebook comes with Hybrid harddisk or a small size SSD will have decent performance too.

Screen: I don't remember any good IPS screen for the price range. I prefer a bigger screen (and high resolution) if possible. You can check it yourself http://www.notebookcheck.net/Rating-display.2679.0.html .

Video Card: NVIDIA card with 2G VRAM. I don't think you need 4G VRAM and you cannot get one with 4G VRAM within your budget. A notebook should have and VGA port or HDMI output for external monitor.

Depend on you habit, a Wacom digital drawing tablets may help save your time and effort in your photo editing.

(I don't want to repeat what I have said in the Andreas thread. It is best for you to propose some models rather than talking about specs only.)