Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Not sure about this one,comments please.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Not sure about this one,comments please. Reply with quote

Cropped to size,RAW file in ACR, clarity added and background darkened. I like it but what do you think? please be excruciatingly honest.Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stark contrast, but it looks a bit like it has been extremely (destructively) noise reduced, and then extremely (too much) sharpened.
So, for my taste, it doesn't work, maybe you could use this as a lower opacity layer to to multiply over the original image, maybe after blurring this one a bit, so that you can keep the dark shadows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriguing colors and contrast

Looks a bit boring, not sure why.

It may just be the orientation of the thing, flat symmetrical,
or it does not work at this small size since lack of details.

So much my opinion, I dont have much clue about artsy partsy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, excesive pp.

Very nice subject, i like it a lot.

I like to watch the original pic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Aanything and I like to watch the original pic too

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aanything...First it was backlit no sharpening,Used full clarity in ACR (which subjectively I prefer) no noise reduction just removal of background structure in NIK/GIGGLE and vibrance added in Photoshop,but I have sold 3 framed prints of this, one 11x14 and two 16x20,might be your monitor,I have 27" apple cinema which is calibrated weekly with Spyder @2.2 Gamma. I will locate original & post in couple of days bit busy at moment.Your comments are appreciated.Regards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It is too dark imho -- the detail is intriguing but seeing more of it is frustrated by the overall darkness.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
aanything...First it was backlit no sharpening,Used full clarity in ACR (which subjectively I prefer) no noise reduction just removal of background structure in NIK/GIGGLE and vibrance added in Photoshop,but I have sold 3 framed prints of this, one 11x14 and two 16x20,might be your monitor,I have 27" apple cinema which is calibrated weekly with Spyder @2.2 Gamma. I will locate original & post in couple of days bit busy at moment.Your comments are appreciated.Regards

It must be my monitors then

[EDIT]
checked on calibrated monitor: I definitely see some artifacts that - I guess - come from using full clarity in ACR, and some degradation in color gradients that should be originated from the removal of background structure.
That said, it's a good shot, I thought you wanted comments on PP, since it looks like much of it is involved, and under this regard I think a bit less would have been a bit better.
But then everything is subjective so it was just to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider cropping off the top blurry bit, and maybe just concentrating on the edges and colors. Kind of make it a huge landscape rather than a leaf.

Ultimate sharpness isn't always a good thing, some photos are more effective with a little less pop, or with the pop selectively applied.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it for various reasons but as 3 peoples buy it, I had to look it twice
5 seconds later I get it, it is the head of a brontosaur !
check at your clients places, it must be the way they hanged it Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the other posters who say over processed, a little splotchy, very little fine detail. Nice color though

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollu, I did hear a rumour that they all bought it to hang back to front.Comments much appreciated and digested.Regards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be fair,I live in Calgary Alberta, a town and Province full of wealthy entrepreneurs making their money from Black Gold or Texas tea and a great number of interior designers,these people do not buy their art or furnishings from Wallmart or Target and look for something out of the ordinary and I am quite happy to oblige their bizarre taste.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original,converted to jpg from RAW.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original looks nice in my opinion but that just me, I'm becoming a purist.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is why art is subjective,if everyone raved my work I would need two lifetimes to keep up with demand.But your honest opinion is appreciated. Regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your edit (the picture in OP) is more interesting than the original. I can't say I love your edit, I wouldn't hang it in my house for instance, IMHO it's a bit too aggressive (as others have noted too), but I can see why some people have bought it. It's not a boring picture, which is already an achievement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fermy,some photo's that I think are stunning don't sell,others that are way out sell like hot cakes but people with obscene money do not want pretty pretty Art on their wall, it has to be different and as I said in previous post a lot of people buy from Wall mart or Target etc.just walk into some of your neighbours home and I think you will see what I mean,remember the awesome paintings on velvet of Matadors and slinky Senoritas. Jackson Pollock had a hard time starting out and gave his paintings away,I think the last one at auction went for a mere 140 million.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me a WOW image Kryss, well done!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Honored Attila,There are some exceptional Photographers on this Forum that is why I subscribe and I am pleased that they responded with their own honest opinions because that is what I requested.So far it is close to 50/50 for and against and I learned a lot and will continue to produce different than normal finished shots because I like to think and visualize outside the box.Regards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I am Honored Attila,There are some exceptional Photographers on this Forum that is why I subscribe and I am pleased that they responded with their own honest opinions because that is what I requested.So far it is close to 50/50 for and against and I learned a lot and will continue to produce different than normal finished shots because I like to think and visualize outside the box.Regards

Opinions aren't worth much. I know the image personally doesn't do much for me, but hey - you already sold three prints! What does that say about my opinion? I have had similar experiences with roles reversed. Keep doing what works for you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, though I do wish there was more detail.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honest opinion is rare in today world nice to see how do you respect it, final descision is yours. I say again I love it, photography can be anything I have only one meassure I like it or not, this pic is pass it very well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up what has been a very illuminating discussion and critique, I have had the good fortune to travel to most of the Worlds great art galleries and seen first hand the works of Dali,Kandinsky,Breton.Magritte,Klimt,Munch,Pollock,Picasso, Van Gogh and Modigliani.All of these artists suffered derision and verbal abuse by so called "Art critics" but who are these critics what do they do and what do they personally create except verbal opinions which in every case was proved to be wrong and yet without their opinions these Artists would have gone unnoticed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What draws my eye is the vein patterns are quite square, so parts of it look pixellated and other parts don't, my eye keeps going back and forth between the smooth organic curves and the geometric straight lines which sometimes look as if they don't belong, and other times look perfectly natural.