Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Non-destructive transformation of film camera into digital
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Non-destructive transformation of film camera into digital Reply with quote

Found this video from 2021.

It looks ingenious as idea, as the digital module is inserted into the film compartment and extends to the right place in the film plane. Based on Raspberry Pi, it has a tiny sensor, so a huge crop factor. Curious to think if it could be possible to attach a better sensor, something like the one taken from a non-working Sony RX100, following the steps of DxO One. That could be a real game changer, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

may not fit without modifying film camera back...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-destructive transformation of film camera into digit Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Found this video from 2021.

It looks ingenious as idea, as the digital module is inserted into the film compartment and extends to the right place in the film plane. Based on Raspberry Pi, it has a tiny sensor, so a huge crop factor. Curious to think if it could be possible to attach a better sensor, something like the one taken from a non-working Sony RX100, following the steps of DxO One. That could be a real game changer, I guess.

I remember years ago (at least 10, maybe 15), they were working on a concept like this. Battery and electronics in a quasi 35mm film-canister, with a (near) full-frame sized thin sensor sticking out the side that would sit between the film guides and pressure plate.

They never managed to get it to work/to market though.

Maybe they should try again, although with the mirrorless cameras available now I doubt the market would still be big enough to merit the investment.

EDIT: it was 22 years ago actually, in 2001 called "Silicon Film".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/raspberry-pi-high-quality-camera/

may not fit without modifying film camera back...

One should have right hand in its place to do this, and a good technical knowledge, to complete the list!

Look what this guy did with the Super8 camera in the same viene. The effect is amazing, complains really well with an old amateur movie feeling.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Maybe they should try again, although with the mirrorless cameras available now I doubt the market would still be big enough to merit the investment.

If such a device costed 150 euros or dollars offering decent quality, I presume it could find a pretty nice niche in the second hand market of film cameras. 22 years ago the quality was a large issue even in high end consumer digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal fit, and, coupling, are significant engineering problems; adapters for specific cameras may be feasible, i.e. for Spotmatic, For Nikon F, & etc..

I can think of some particularly bright people who would simply remove the lens to adapt onto their modern camera of choice. Smile

Everybody wants the universal Kodachrome sensor for old cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I can think of some particularly bright people who would simply remove the lens to adapt onto their modern camera of choice. Smile

Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Non-destructive transformation of film camera into digit Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
I remember years ago (at least 10, maybe 15), they were working on a concept like this. Battery and electronics in a quasi 35mm film-canister, with a (near) full-frame sized thin sensor sticking out the side that would sit between the film guides and pressure plate.

I also remember this, and I was fascinated by the potential of it.
I would have loved to drop one of them into my hand-me-down Olympus OM-1
or Minolta X-1 manual SLR.

I'd love to see what modern technologies and manufacturing methods
could bring to the market nowadays. It could now be a simple back replacement,
without even requiring the bottom part to be mounted like an old film winder.
Swap the back of an older Olympus, Nikon, Minolta or Canon camera,
and you've got a classic body converted to a fully modern film camera.
Realistically, the only additional thickness would come from the external display
and control buttons; the circuitry could easily be on a flexible film substrate.
Such a setup could even be designed to be applied to an original camera back
in this context.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Non-destructive transformation of film camera into digit Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

I also remember this, and I was fascinated by the potential of it.
I would have loved to drop one of them into my hand-me-down Olympus OM-1
or Minolta X-1 manual SLR.

I'd love to see what modern technologies and manufacturing methods
could bring to the market nowadays. It could now be a simple back replacement,
without even requiring the bottom part to be mounted like an old film winder.
Swap the back of an older Olympus, Nikon, Minolta or Canon camera,
and you've got a classic body converted to a fully modern film camera.
Realistically, the only additional thickness would come from the external display
and control buttons; the circuitry could easily be on a flexible film substrate.
Such a setup could even be designed to be applied to an original camera back
in this context.

I can imagine two problems that would be difficult (but maybe not impossible) to solve:

a) dust; older cameras with old cloth shutters are quite a bit more dusty and likely you would be removing dust bunnies in PP all day long.
b) on many traditional SLRs there really is not much space between the film guides (= plane of focus), and the rearmost shutter curtain. This may simply not be enough for the required filter stack thickness on a modern sensor; you wouldn't want your shutter curtain to accidentally scrape against the sensor's AR filter coating every now and then...