Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No exif data; how do you capture the data?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: No exif data; how do you capture the data? Reply with quote

It may sound a daft question - but how to you go about capturing and remebering what fstop you have used, what focal length etc when you don't have the luxury of exif data? Its a bit easier with a prime lens, you only have to worry about the fstop.

Or is it an aspect of using manual focus lenses that you have to live with?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got home , I download promptly pictures and rename them by lens-camera names. Usually I use simple settings one stop down if picture looks like captured wide open, F8 F11 if looks like stop down, so not difficult to remember for them, if I use different settings, I shoot a blank frame , in downloaded pictures easy to find blank frame and remember 'hey I did change settings here' also you can capture frame with your phone and record camera settings as well with your phone if you need more accurate info. With a command line exif program you able to patch each images with accurate aperture info if you wish, I do sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: No exif data; how do you capture the data? Reply with quote

kbm wrote:
It may sound a daft question - but how to you go about capturing and remebering what fstop you have used, what focal length etc when you don't have the luxury of exif data? Its a bit easier with a prime lens, you only have to worry about the fstop.

Or is it an aspect of using manual focus lenses that you have to live with?

Not necessarily. The Ricoh GXR-M was developed for the use with manual focus lenses and has therefore a feature to write the correct information in the EXIF. You can easily capture a couple of different lens profiles which can be loaded individually if you change the lens. The only thing which it can't do is to apply the correct F-stop automatically. Needless to say that there is no feature for the correct focus length if somebody uses zoom lenses. However, this camera was developed primarily for RF lenses where zooms are not really an issue. I don't use zooms on this camera anyway.

Cameras which are developed for the use with modern AF lenses (like your Sony) don't have such features as this information is taken automatically from the original lens.

That's one but not the only reason why I prefer to use my Ricoh for MF lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's also a good thing to have some exposure record printed tables, as I do with my analog photos. The unique printed table for 4x5, a 12 rows for 120 film and 135mm, and all data goes there: lens, film, development, exposure, etc.

Renato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

I suppose it will get simpler. I've found with the 135 f2.8 i've only been using f5.6 or f8, depending on the available light at the time, keeps it in its sweet spot too. Its impractical to try and record via my phone, say jotting down the numbers with each shot. It would be nice if Sony could add a feature allowing you to record the fstop or other data. How hard can it be eh?... Wink

Eventually, i will move to a AF zoom lens when the bank manager [aka The Wife] will allow, so it won't be much of an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbm wrote:
could add a feature allowing you to record the fstop or other data. How hard can it be eh?... Wink

Well, YES and NO!! Very Happy

YES: If you have enough expertize in java and android development you can do and load to your camera an APP that allows it... There is a demo app and a framework that would in theory allow you do record info from camera operations.
Please check custom apps at this site: https://github.com/ma1co/PMCADemo

NO: SONY either via firmware update or some "App application*" it should be very easy to provide it but i suppose that do Not want too..
Actually an application app - Lens Compensation - allows to load profiles and save exif data on the VERY LATE camera models only, such A7II...