Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor.C 2.5cm F4 on A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor.C 2.5cm F4 on A7RII Reply with quote

A little lens sharing the spirit of Zeiss Contax Topogon.

The lens is adapted to M mount with a focusing adapter for focusing. My contax adapter may be too thick which only allow me focus to about 10 to 20 meters.

The lens is pretty sharp at the centre with decent contrast. For a non-retrofocus ultrawide made for film in the 1950s, it is expected the corner will not be good at a FF digital camera. For best performance, use a Nikon S film camera.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great IQ! Especially impressive #2 and #6, perfectly rendering the volume of the buildings.

The lens itself looks very stylish too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The lens looks nice which is the main reason I bought it. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Nippon Kogaku W-Nikkor.C 2.5cm F4 on A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
A little lens

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin, did you have an opportunity to compare the lens rendering to some other early wide (maybe not ultrawide) ones? I thought for a moment of the Soviet Jupiter-12 which is 35mm instead of 25, but seems having a similar retrofocus design.

Out of curiosity I took a glance of the Nikons' prices at ebay. Wow, even 1500 dolars/euros looks to be a bargain for this piece of glass and design!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, nice!

I have the similar Canon 25mm lens, as well as a 26mm genuine HYPERGON Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Calvin, did you have an opportunity to compare the lens rendering to some other early wide (maybe not ultrawide) ones? I thought for a moment of the Soviet Jupiter-12 which is 35mm instead of 25, but seems having a similar retrofocus design.

Out of curiosity I took a glance of the Nikons' prices at ebay. Wow, even 1500 dolars/euros looks to be a bargain for this piece of glass and design!

J-12 is a Biogon. Both Biogon and Topogon are short focus lenses. I have not tried any other WA short focus lenses.

The Nikkor 2.5cm are rare and expensive. Unless you own a Nikon S film camera or you want to collect it, I see no reason to buy one. The Canon 25mm F3.5 will be much cheaper choice and it is a bit faster.

kds315* wrote:
Congrats, nice!

I have the similar Canon 25mm lens, as well as a 26mm genuine HYPERGON Wink

I would like to have a HYPERGON too but I don't think I can afford it. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Calvin. I'm looking at this lens also for a Sony a7 and am wondering how it performs wide open. I have the 3.5cm f1.8 and 5cm f1.4 and love the glow/bloom they create in highlights when wide open. Does this lens do something similar?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much glow/bloom at WO: the lens is well corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That's a bummer about no glow/bloom. Do you know of any wide (25 or 28 and preferably LTM) lenses that do have a glow wide open?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea.