Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikor 135 F2.8 and Hummingbirds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Nikor 135 F2.8 and Hummingbirds Reply with quote

Well this was difficult. They won't stay still even when hovering. They just vibrate. I have a feeder and we have a lot of flowers that they like.
Used my Nikon 135mm F2.8 lens, sort of prefocused and set it at F11, 125 and 100 ISO. Hint, go with higher shutter speed Laughing

Ok first a flower at F2.8 some blow out here.

Next first attempt, these guys are fast, after this I set camera to rapid fire, burst of 2-3 frames.

A little better.

Having a sip.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting hummingbirds (with a cam, of course) is really very difficult!
I once tried this during a holiday on Jamaica with my old Kodak digicam. There was no way, I got a good picture. But I can blame it on the cam! Wink

Your second pic is really good! Although it looks like shot at high ISO...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulation ! Hard as take any photo from my wife Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think that on the third photo (second with bird) the motion blur is just perfect, it gives you the perception that the guy is floating in the air. If the movement was frozen, it would not have been so effective,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer to the problem is to use fill flash. Fill flash will stop movement but may depending on the ambient light leave a trace of movement still going on. Fill flash also brings out the detail and colour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the flash. Good idea, thanks. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orio, that 3rd shot is excellent!

Bill