Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon>M42 adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Nikon>M42 adapter? Reply with quote

Haven't found one of these, suspect it's mechanically unsound. This is mounting a Nikon lens to M42 adapter to old M42 35mm camera.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon>M42 adapter? Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Haven't found one of these, suspect it's mechanically unsound. This is mounting a Nikon lens to M42 adapter to old M42 35mm camera.

In theory, it should work, as the register distances allow for a Nikkor lens to M42 camera adaptation.
In practice, I think that the chances for a M42 camera owner to buy a Nikkor lens are not many, for a series of reasons:

1- there is no digital camera made with M42 mount (unfortunately)

2- M42 cameras were much cheaper than Nikon's, so, financially speaking, there were more chances that a guy with Nikon camera would want to buy an M42 lens, than the other way around.

3- finally, and most importantly, a M42 camera user does not have a real urgence to buy Nikkor lenses, because he has access to a vast array of lenses that includes Zeiss Jena, Takumar, Pentacon, The Russian!

Anyway, I think that some of these reasons were more valid for a time past. Nowadays, since most manual stuff, including Nikon's, is available only through secondhand, the price differences have flattened, and it would start to make sense to buy say a used Nikon FM2 and wanting to use it with used Zeiss Jena lenses.

Who knows - if we keep pushing the manual lenses movement, maybe someday some guy in some Chinese factory will make one!

And then the European and USA resellers will sell it to us at double price Twisted Evil

Last edited by Orio on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
What you say makes sense, and I don't thrive on disappointment. Mad
Maybe someday there will be such an adapter, I certainly didn't come
across one on ebay. I have 3 nikkor lenses and several M42 35mm
cameras, it would be nice to have this versatility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make an adapter by your self ? To mount Nikon lenses you need a cheap blaster camera body or teleconverter to take out Nikon mount and one M42 adapter and one M42 extension ring + some strong liquid glue. It will be not allowed to infinty because can't really make for precise, but for portraits, close-up etc. will be ok.

I did Nikon-Exakta,Konica-NIKON adapters it works,200mm focal length works as 135mm etc. For temporary solution for testing I use a CZJ Tessar end + duck tape and here we go I have an universal camera mount Smile

Cheers,

Attila

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Why not make an adapter by your self ? To mount Nikon lenses you need a cheap blaster camera body or teleconverter to take out Nikon mount and one M42 adapter and one M42 extension ring + some strong liquid glue. It will be not allowed to infinty because can't really make for precise, but for portraits, close-up etc. will be ok.

I did Nikon-Exakta,Konica-NIKON adapters it works,200mm focal length works as 135mm etc. For temporary solution for testing I use a CZJ Tessar end + duck tape and here we go I have an universal camera mount Smile

Cheers,

Attila

I'd like to see a pic of this, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to see a pic of this, thanks!

So first Meyer-Optik Görlitz Telefogar 90mm f/3.5 Altix mount converted to M42 with piece of extension ring an red duck tape Smile

Exakta lens adapter to Nikon body from Exa camera lens mount+M42 Nikon adapter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool looking with the red duct tape! Cool And it works just fine except
for infinity focus, will have to shop around for a few parts and try this,
thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
That's cool looking with the red duct tape! Cool And it works just fine except
for infinity focus, will have to shop around for a few parts and try this,
thanks! Smile

Your very welcome ! Best duct tape is "special Chinese one" perhaps most cheaper in the store, not too much glue on it, so not make much dirt on lens tube than normal quality duct tape Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps lens quality too Smile I wish to try for portraits, just I didn't find a chance yet I always tested more important lens than this. So hopefully I able to report soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon>M42 adapter? Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:

Sounds like you need a Roxsen Nikon-M42 adapter.
You can find them on ebay form time time to time and they go very cheap...Here is an old link to an old Roxsen Nikon-M42 auction on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Nikon-Lens-to-all-M42-mount-camera-adapter-Pentax_W0QQitemZ180084833676QQihZ008QQcategoryZ30059QQcmdZViewItem

I got mine months ago as an alternative to my JTAT Nikon-SA adapter for fitting Nikon-F lenses on my Sigma SD10 DSLR, though I did'nt really need it.
However Sigma have insideously modified the SA mounting plate on their new SD14 DSLR to prevent the use of Nikon lenses via the JTAT Nikon-SA adapter so the Roxsen adapter will be the only way SD14 users will be able to fit Nikon lenses onto it...But of course without infinty focus. (which sucks!)
Anyway the Roxsen adapter is worth every penny IMO, as its well made and very cheap. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here DSG !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DSG, and welcome!
Roxsen has a number of them offered on ebay.co. UK! Every time I see
the name "Roxsen" the Police (Sting) song "Roxanne" goes thru my
head! Laughing Anyway, got one I'm watching, none are BIN, and 16 hours
to go. Thanks again!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I some times bought adapters at Roxsen. It not the most bad adapters, in good packings. But I do not stop on it. It will wanted to me to find adapter M42-Canon which the best. A difference in distances of the register 1,5 mm. I have bought all adapters which saw, approximately 20 pieces, and have measured thickness the exact device. Thus I have found the best adapter with thickness of 1,45 mm. The lens is focused on infinity.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@Attila: Nice to see you here DSG !

I want to join this greetings.
DSG for me you one of the most important members at dpreview. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROXSEN sells adaptors that allow a Nikon lens to mount to a M42 camera?
I have never seen such an adaptor. I have a Roxsen that allows my M42's to monut to my Nikons, it has a glass element that allows infinity focusing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to find one on eBay....Mounting Nikon lenses to M42 mount cameras

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Lens-to-all-M42-mount-for-d80-d300-d3x-d3-d40-d60_W0QQitemZ250333368326QQihZ015QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent find ! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
Happened to find one on eBay....Mounting Nikon lenses to M42 mount cameras

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Lens-to-all-M42-mount-for-d80-d300-d3x-d3-d40-d60_W0QQitemZ250333368326QQihZ015QQcategoryZ30059QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AMAZING!!!!
Thats the first adaptor of this type that I have ever seen. I was looking for something like this about a year ago and came up empty.

I wonder if this allows infinity focusing? From the thickness of the flange it leads me to believe that this may not be possible. I didnt see this info stated.

I added it to my watch list. Very Happy

Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem...Glad I could help...Happened upon it searching for other adapters.