Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Zoom 3.5/75-150mm Series E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Nikon Zoom 3.5/75-150mm Series E Reply with quote

Hi,

bought this lens recently for a small amount. Surprisingly it is very sharp. The zoom is is too smooth-running but this seems to be a known problem with this lens. I tried to solve this problem with a kind of adhesive tape under the zoom ring and it works pretty good.

Here few shots from my morning walk today. Nothing special only to show how the lens performs. Saw this morning that the water ditch around our water castle nearby was nearly without any water. A result of the mega dry spring this year and almost no rain within the last 2 months.

Just saw that I made a mistake. There is no Nikkor label around the lens. Only Nikon - this seems to be normal for series E lenses.

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes! One of my favorite lenses. While not a 'great' lens, it performs better than most photographers (including me) can get out of it.

Since you don't seem too familiar with it, here's the abbreviated info:
It was one of the Series E, consumer lenses sold by Nikon from 1979 to the mid-80s. Series E lenses were conceived as a lower-cost alternative to the expensive, pro-grade Nikkor lenses of the day. Prior to the advent of the Series E, ALL Nikkors were pretty much pro-grade. So, consumers who bought a Nikon camera, but couldn't afford Nikkors, were forced to buy third party lenses.

The Series E carried the Nikon name, not Nikkor. Some Series E lenses were fairly cheaply made and had mediocre optics. Others, like the 75-150, performed much better than expected.

The 75-150 wasn't built by Nikon, it was built by Kiron to Nikon specs. I liked my first one so much, I bought a second one in case I destroyed the first. But then, I bought them back before MF lens prices started climbing.

Here are a couple of simple examples from my 75-150 when used with my D700. (NOTE: the EXIF data says these shots were taken at 112mm focal length. The custom CPU was programmed with the D40 in mind, though I wish it hadn't been.)

The first is a fairly close shot of some wildflowers on the Santa Rosa Plateau.

The second is a close-up of a mallard in shady water at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, who didn't mind me getting rather close.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples, Rolf!

I have both this Nikon E series zoom and Nikkor 50-135/3.5. They are both very good, but as the E series lens is smaller and has a better zoom range, I´d pick it, if I had to choose.

And the zoom creep - I used a piece of electrical tape to correct that, too.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like the Heron. Besides being a nice, clear image, I'm also a bit envious. Seems every time I try to photograph one, they won't let me close enough.

From your samples, it looks like you're going to enjoy that lens!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Nikon's fairy tale Wink
http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/42/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed, as very often with your photos, Rolf.
A new keeper.

We also have dry spring around here. Maybe the hottest spring we ever had since a very long time.

This Nikon zoom is very contrasty, sharp and gives good colours.
Is this a pump system ?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look sharp, I try to count goat in #3 but I fall asleep, maybe some of them are sheep, cannot see in this small pic

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
look sharp, I try to count goat in #3 but I fall asleep, maybe some of them are sheep, cannot see in this small pic

Laughing
I believe they're sheep.
I'm going to sleep now. Have a good night. Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
look sharp, I try to count goat in #3 but I fall asleep...

+1
ROFL!