Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon Repro Nikkor 85mm f1.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Nikon Repro Nikkor 85mm f1.0 Reply with quote

Here's an interesting beastie, an symmetrical industrial lens with 12 elements in 8 groups, used for highest quality 1:1 reproductions. Unfortunately because of the short flange distance, it is not possible to shoot at much lower magnifications, but for me it has a wonderful look shot wide open.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. My JML 64mm f0.85 is another example of a superfast lens optically designed for closeups only (whilst not perfectly symmetrical).

I did think that depth of field of macro lenses was sufficiently thin anyway, until I did a comparison and found a noticeable, useful benefit.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice artistic images 👍

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Very interesting. My JML 64mm f0.85 is another example of a superfast lens optically designed for closeups only (whilst not perfectly symmetrical).

I did think that depth of field of macro lenses was sufficiently thin anyway, until I did a comparison and found a noticeable, useful benefit.

The Nikkor is unique in that it can resolve 200 lp/mm, much higher than usual superfast lenses. I just posted some shots in the digital gallery shot with a FJW Industries 90mm f1.0 lens that covers MF and can be adapted to focus to infinity on mirrorless. Nice but nowhere near the resolution of the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
eggplant wrote:

The Nikkor is unique in that it can resolve 200 lp/mm, much higher than usual superfast lenses. I just posted some shots in the digital gallery shot with a FJW Industries 90mm f1.0 lens that covers MF and can be adapted to focus to infinity on mirrorless. Nice but nowhere near the resolution of the Nikkor.

I think I remember seeing some of the FJW, might've been yours- quite unique in the (considerably) long flange distance but I haven't tested out many 90mm 'X-Ray' lenses.

The issue with the 'Milky look' is people taking ones designed for infinity, and unit-focusing them at incredibly short distances they weren't designed for- a byproduct of the unachievably short flange distance.

If you look back the very fast 50 in a company's lens lineup would always have worse minimum focus capabilities.

...However much this makes sense, I am not sure if it really matters, or whether I should blame people for that expectation. At any rate these lenses were never designed for full frame coverage at infinity, so it is a good way to ward people off Wink They will never get the shallow depth of field across a full frame.

I did see a test of a Rayxar on a Nikon Z on nikongear (now down?), focused on a bookcase a few meters away, and you could clearly see very nice sharpness in it's image circle.

As for your gallery photos, it is certainly a pretty stellar rendering, but I can't quite settle on the amount of optical vignetting in the shots shown (which should give us clue for coverage) - any more samples you could post?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shots like those I could post. Those shots are not corrected for vignetting, there is no falloff in the 35mm frame. I took the lens off and shifted it holding it next to the body, trying to determine the image circle. Itvs certainly larger than full frame, appears to be around 50-60mm.

Last edited by kymarto on Wed May 25, 2022 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everything is f/1 in those pictures.
Very difficult to nail the focus.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
More shots like those I could post. Those shots are not corrected for vignetting, there is no falloff in the 35mm frame. I took the lens off and shifted it holding it next to the body, trying to determine the image circle. Itvs certainly larger than full frame, appears to be around 50-60mm.

Well that's interesting, and definitely worth posting some more. To be fair, the image circle will always look larger when wide open, usually given at f/16, but no aperture control...