Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nikon problems looking for help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: nikon problems looking for help Reply with quote

I have a Nikon d7100. I have only taken 134 images with this camera. I was doing some coin shooting. right know it does not matter what I set the aperture at my photos are over exposed. I have been trying to find and answer to this issue. can anyone tell me is there a way. I can check and see if the aperture is possibly stuck open. I found a thread in DP review but I really don't under stand what they are talking about. can anyone here tell me how to check for this. here is a quote from dp review to another photographer.....Looks like the aperture blades are not closing as your f11 shots look like f4. ok if this happens what can I do here is my photo it does not matter the lens they all come out the same.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top photo or the first one was taken with a bellows and a enlarger lens. the second photo was taken with a Minolta 100 mm f4 macros lens any suggestion greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky,

Here is something to check before you jump to the conclusion that the camera is messing up.

I don't mean to be rude by stating the obvious, but what were your ISO and shooting mode set in? If you were in Auto ISO and/or in P or A shooting modes, your exposure wouldn't change.

-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you paul . I had the camera set In A mode. the battery has gone dead so I will recharge. it and set the camera in manual. I have a feel I have some how touched some thing or locked some thing. the camera is new to me and I don't know much about these DSLR. see my earlier work I always used high resolution video camera very easy. I use to work air patrol. I did this work from a helicopter. it is only recently that I have started to use these DSLR. so thank you . I am great full for any help again thank you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Rocky. This happens to me sometimes as well - i forget I have my camera set in Auto ISO, and no matter what I do to change the shutter speed or aperture - the exposure doesn't change! LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Nikon user so treat my words with caution ! I had similar problems with my Pentax until I worked out that there were some combinations of settings that just wouldn't work. Being curious for you I looked at http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/compatibility02.htm and it looks like there are indeed some similarities with your gear. I see on that link there are some specific references to using bellows units. Perhaps your instruction book will have more information.

I don't think you have any problems with your lenses - good luck with your close up pictures !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen thank you so much yes I agree. also I have found out that the " program control my Nikon" does not give me an accurate read on my Nikon d7100. I did some reading last night and learned that I can not by what is displayed on my computer screen. I have to do any adjustment manually with the camera along. according to the maker of control my Nikon this part of Nikon control. so I will figure out how to set the camera. there is another member on the other forum how uses Nikon and he will help me with that . thank you all so much . if I can not figure it out . I still have my canon camera. I think thou I would really like to try one of these Sony AR camera. again thank you all. a member on the other forum sold a ten cent piece for less than 10.00 American. the person who purchased it got it certified and sold it for 5200.00 American. this is what drives coin collecting you all have a great day thank you all for your help

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot numerous lenses on my Nikon using the bellows. You need to remember that with the bellows, the camera does not know the position of the aperture and has no way to control it. I usually shoot aperture priority and meter stopped down. I use D800E and Df cameras and they both work equally well. I also set the lens specs as close as possible in the MF lens data in the shooting menu and my EXIF always shows the maximum aperture regardless of the setting of the lens. Do actual Nikon lenses perform well on your camera?
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
I don't mean to be rude by stating the obvious

Same here, but I would verify that the Exposure Compensation value is set to 0. It's happened to me in more than one occasion that I accidentally changed this value from and the exposures were off. It took me a while to realize what it was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok set the Nikon to auto put my standard kit lens 18-55mm. I put the camera on auto iso and put auto focus back on. the camera is taking images. they seem ok I will add a couple of pictures of the setting before I changed the camera to auto. I must have set some thing wrong. this is why I don't like DSLR cameras. see high resolution video camera you just video and when you have the frame you want. pause the video push the shutter perfect image. here is a couple of images of the camera setting before I set the camera all back to auto. well at lease I can take a photo with it right now. the thing is I may not be able to use this on a bellows. I wish I knew more about this camera thank you all so much

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use your bellows, just may have to manually expose.

Many of us do it all the time and it is quite fun trying all the lenses. The only issue I have is that it is difficult with a lens shorter than 105mm.
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow pete what a very nice setup. I like the lens and the bellows. I picked this camera up new from a company in new York. I think I am going to sell it. I like what I read on these Sony a7 so. I will do some more research and make up my mind from there. the Sony opens the door to so many older lens. I like that see I am retired now I was a builder and trainer. I think some times I have to much time on my hands. I have all kinds of opportunity to work but just say not right now. so the camera is just as much enjoyment as my coins. I need to get really good images of the coins. see I am going to sell my whole collection. so I need a great camera and great photo. thank you for sharing. really like your setup and that lens wow have a great one. I will show you a coin and I will explain what to look for ok this is a 1922 near s see the s on cents almost touches the rim. the coin is in so so condition. it would be worth about 3 possibly 4 dollars Canadian. that is nice little profit there a look at coin collecting have a great one